Gibson Brands Forums

Four and Twenty - sorry that its my Martin

MorrisrownSal

You absolutely nail it - and the extra spices fall naturally, making it smooth.

S. Stills would give a 👍

Edited by E-minor7
  • Like 1

Nothing to be sorry about.. That Martin sounds great! Good Cover too..

A large Picture fell on my D-35 many years & put 3-4” long crack & hole in about the same place as yours… I played it for many years..

I finally sent it to Martin & they repaired or replaced the whole bottom Piece.. Not sure which.. In any case you can’t tell it had ever been damaged…

They also did a whole lot of other stuff under my Lifetime Warranty.. Restored everything that it needed. They do beautiful work..

6 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

I’ve still got the urge to get a D35.  Might have to do it.

If you do be aware there are new versions. Believe they are lighter braced and have wider width. Of course still feature the three-piece-back.                                                                                                Btw. the 35 always came lighter than the 28 - even the many years they both were non-scalloped. I didn't know when getting mine second hand in 1991 - but felt the bass. 

Edited by E-minor7

51 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

If you do be aware there there are new versions. Believe they are lighter braced and have wider width. Of course still feature the three-piece-back.                                                                                                          Btw. the 35 always came lighter than the 28 - even the many years they both were non-scalloped. I didn't know when getting mine second hand in 1991 - but felt the bass. 

Thanks for the info!  It is appreciated.  If I end up with a D35 somewhere along the line, it will likely be a used Johnny Cash D35.  I will see.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

If you do be aware there are new versions. Believe they are lighter braced and have wider width. Of course still feature the three-piece-back.                                                                                                Btw. the 35 always came lighter than the 28 - even the many years they both were non-scalloped. I didn't know when getting mine second hand in 1991 - but felt the bass. 

D-35's have always been braced with 1/4'' bracing vs. the D-28 which is 5/16". A D-35 and D-28 are both not scalloped. Your HD-28V and mine are scalloped.

58 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Sal,

Please never apologize for owning or playing Martin guitars.

There is never a good reason for doing so, even with this crowd.

RBSinTo

I apologize all the time, not for the Martin, but for my lack of talent.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Gumby - thank you man.

1) I used an iphone with an external USB mic (a Shure MV5) for the initial track (vocal and fingerpicking).

2) I then airdropped it into my macbook.... and into garageband (video and all)

3) added a little reverb.

4) added a 2nd guitar track with a pick - just filling it out.

5) added a 3rd track - a harmony vocal.

Garageband also allows you to pan right or left each track.... so the main track is panned at about 12:30 1 way, and  the other tracks are panned about 11:30 the other way - if this makes sense.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

D-35's have always been braced with 1/4'' bracing vs. the D-28 which is 5/16". A D-35 and D-28 are both not scalloped. Your HD-28V and mine are scalloped.

Yes ? exactly what I wrote. And yes again, my HD-28V is scalloped and forward shifted - so is yours. My post tried to underline there are new re-designed 35s and 28s (18s).                                                                                            But no issue for MissouriPicker - I think the Cash-models are all scalloped, , , and f-shifted too. Correct if wrong MP.   

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

Yes ? exactly what I wrote. And yes again, my HD-28V is scalloped and forward shifted - so is yours. My post tried to underline there are new re-designed 35s and 28s (18s).                                                                                            But no issue for MissouriPicker - I think the Cash-models are all scalloped, , , and f-shifted too. Correct if wrong MP.   

The are-imagined ones are great. 

11 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I apologize all the time, not for the Martin, but for my lack of talent.

You’re not The Lone Ranger in the “lack of talent” department.  All my guitars deserve a much more talented picker, but at least they have the satisfaction of helping me sound better than I am.

3 hours ago, Lars68 said:

Sorry for being so late here, but that was beautiful, Sal. It a lovely song I haven't heard before.

Which must mean you haven't heard Déjà Vu by CSN&Y - one of the greatest rock-albums from the golden era, , , which again means of all time.

A precious X-mas present is hereby waiting. It was re-released earlier in 2021 with a vinyl record, a full size story-booklet plus 4 X-raying CDs. No kidding - ENJOY

1 hour ago, E-minor7 said:

Which must mean you haven't heard Déjà Vu by CSN&Y - one of the greatest rock-albums from the golden era, , , which again means of all time.

A precious X-mas present is hereby waiting. It was re-released earlier in 2021 with a vinyl record, a full size story-booklet plus 4 X-raying CDs. No kidding - ENJOY

Thanks Em7. I have heard the album, but I guess I haven’t listened. Big difference!!

I just might get myself an early X-mas gift.

Lars

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Lars68 said:

Thanks Em7. I have heard the album, but I guess I haven’t listened. Big difference!!

I just might get myself an early X-mas gift.

Lars

You probably won't regret it. It's a Stephen Stills song and here is a clazzik clip from the then giga popular talk-show named after its host **** Cavett.                                                                                                           I'm sure you can guess the year.