Gibson Brands Forums

SJ 200 is this a TV? Help!

Amazoman

Happy New Year All.

I am looking for some expert help on a recent purchase. I have always promised myself that when mum and dad passed if there was any money I would always buy a Gibson Les Paul so that I could treasure it and say it was their final gift to me.

Mum died many years ago but dad passed away on 2nd Dec. Now his paperwork has been sorted there wasn't a lot but enough to buy the guitar. Slight change of plan in that 99% of my playing is acoustic so I changed my mind and moved to a SJ 200.

I am in the UK and these do not come up very often so in my excitement at seeing one I jumped at it, broke all the rules and pressed the button on one that was advertised as a 2008 True Vintage. I know I should have tried to research it.  It was too far away to go and play. Now I have done the deed I am starting to panic that what I have is not a TV. I haven't got the guitar yet as the shop doesn't re-open until Jan 6th.

My areas of concern are 1. The label doesn't say TV  2. The case is not the original brown one.  3. The pick guard looks too red and not like others I have seen. 4. The moustache bridge looks a very light brown rather than almost black. 5.In one photo you will see a microphone ,which I know the TV didn't have electrics ( I accept that this could be an after fit). 

I did pay a lot of money and hope that I have not been duped or even worse sold a copy. The maple back does look gorgeous though!  Photos below.   Can't seem to get them any better!

Thanks

s-l64-3.jpg.ceb36327edefd9af3625ec832a15e58c.jpgs-l64-5.jpg.e63e1d3c5d4d587fd194843ec63f4454.jpgs-l64-7.jpg.d74d88432626ca54f82e6dc20adc4748.jpgs-l64-8.jpg.b4e56d50be37b10fb2163d4207db49c8.jpgs-l64-9.jpg.4059215a4153ec2a319d1cba942d952c.jpgs-l64-12.jpg.530b583d3686bd3caf11b67adf825fd4.jpg

The resolution of the pictures are too low ,

can you post a link to the shop website ?

first: just because it doesn’t say TV on the label doesn’t mean it’s not a TV , Not every TV model said TV  since the labels are typed by hand .

second: the serial number will confirm if it’s a 2008 , and if that’s the case … then it has all the makings of a TV.

Is the case Black with Yellow interior ?

JC

Edited by JuanCarlosVejar

True Vintage did not have an original pickup. This still might be one, but with an aftermarket installed. Or it could be a modern classic? Not much detail in the ad. The serial number says it was made on the 267th day of 2008. So… a 2008. 

I think it’s legit, but I would have expected the brown case. I think in 2008 there were Standard (modern classic) and maybe TVs? Look at your saddle. Is it compensated or non compensated? Non points to Tv.

moderns would have had a pickup. TVs no. Modern black case. TV Cali brown case.

orange label.. TV? Also early TVs had a red Pickguard like yours without the pinstripe going around…

7 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

True Vintage did not have an original pickup. This still might be one, but with an aftermarket installed. Or it could be a modern classic? Not much detail in the ad. The serial number says it was made on the 267th day of 2008. So… a 2008. 

I think it’s legit, but I would have expected the brown case. I think in 2008 there were Standard (modern classic) and maybe TVs? Look at your saddle. Is it compensated or non compensated? Non points to Tv.

moderns would have had a pickup. TVs no. Modern black case. TV Cali brown case.

orange label.. TV? Also early TVs had a red Pickguard like yours without the pinstripe going around…

Good points - the saddle  looks like it's straight and not compensated.

The 4-bar insert bridge, keystone tuners and truss rod cover with wide white border are all correct too.

The back and sides look fantastic too - nice one!

Thanks to you all for coming back to me. I've posted a message to Gibson customer service in the hope that they keep accurate records.. I have an Ernie Ball  Musicman Stingray. They could tell me colour, date shipped to uk and everything else about it! Hope Gibson will be the same.

Case doesn't prove or disprove -  the CaliGirl cases are often separated from the guitar by flippers and scavengers.  Happened to my H'Bird TV.  On the other hand, it would be suspicious if the case were marked 'GIBSON'  as those who purloin the highly desirable Cali Girl Cases are usually too evil to go way out of their way to get a Gibson issue replacement.      I've read that only 167 of these were produced.  If true, you may want to get a 'Guarantee' from the seller before he ships it to you ,  until you can get Bozeman to confirm the s/n indicates it is an actual TV. Since the orange labels are also not fool proof.  I'd also ask if the original documents are with the guitar - they might confirm the s/n and that it is actually a TV.   G'Luck. 

That certainly looks like the one I have purchased although there is no serial number to check against. The listing on reverb has ended, the place it was listed from is Bathgate, which I know is a small place in Scotland!

I suspect the shop in Manchester has bought it from a private seller, put £400 on it and resold it!!!

As for the case who knows?  maybe the shop recognises it as a good thing to sell separately and have given me a black Gibson case in its place.

If I was that sort of person I could swear lol

I have a 2008 J-200 Modern Classic.  It has a modern thin white edged TRC, a flubber pickguard, a 2 ribbon bridge, and a compensated saddle.

Your pics show a vintage style wide white edged TRC, a vintage style pickguard, a 4 ribbon bridge, and an uncompensated saddle.

Conclusion:  Looks like you've got a TV.      Congrats:  Very nice!

My 2008 J-200 MC      (changed pins)

xNC6ltF.jpg

4 hours ago, Amazoman said:

That certainly looks like the one I have purchased although there is no serial number to check against.

In a perfect world, yes, seeing the serial # in the one that was listed on Reverb 4 years ago would've been nice. But what caught my eye were things like the grain in the top- the two darker areas, treb side being wider, the thin light grain line running down from outside the "point" of the pickguard and it's lowest orange "berry", the little dark areas on the bass side of the rosewood mustache and between the two upper  ribbon inlays. And your fretboard is more uniformly dark, whereas most of the as-spec'ed Madagascar rosewood fretboards can tend to be fairly well figured :

to7Z7rL.png

. . . or the black speck on the nut (your ebay listing on the right), scratch on top of the low E tuner post, etc. Truss rod cover screws turned, so maybe the TR's been adjusted.

V3uugjj.png

So somewhere over the last four years, it's lost it's case, and gained electronics. Enjoy your new incoming SJ-200 True Vintage.

Wow! How very observant of you. I thank you for taking the time to really check this over 62burst.  I have contacted Customer services and had a confirmation email saying that it was in fact a True Vintage. I also contacted ,by email, someone called Don Ruffatto at Gibson, who got back to me straight away with a spec sheet for the very guitar. So thanks to you all , I can confidently say that it is a 2008 SJ 200 TV . I was hoping that it would have an Ariondack top but the spec sheet says it is Sitka but Hey Ho. I am pleased to have this sorted.

I am not going to keep chasing this but the spec sheet does say that it was fitted with Gotoh tuners, which mine clearly isn't and it also says that it was issued on 13/11/2006 which the serial number on mine suggests 2008.

1 hour ago, Amazoman said:

. . . I also contacted ,by email, someone called Don Ruffatto at Gibson, who got back to me straight away with a spec sheet for the very guitar. So thanks to you all , I can confidently say that it is a 2008 SJ 200 TV . I was hoping that it would have an Ariondack top but the spec sheet says it is Sitka but Hey Ho. I am pleased to have this sorted.

Sounds like so far you've had a very positive Gibson experience, and as Sal had suggested, getting in touch with, and hearing from, Don Ruffatto only added to that. And don't waste a second wishing your '200 had an Adirondack top- I'm glad my '07 200 TV is Sitka. . . the combination of the maple and the superjumbo's proportions are ample enough to reward you with a super-lush well-balanced sound that you'll never think twice. You're in for a treat.

12 hours ago, 62burst said:

In a perfect world, yes, seeing the serial # in the one that was listed on Reverb 4 years ago would've been nice. But what caught my eye were things like the grain in the top- the two darker areas, treb side being wider, the thin light grain line running down from outside the "point" of the pickguard and it's lowest orange "berry", the little dark areas on the bass side of the rosewood mustache and between the two upper  ribbon inlays. And your fretboard is more uniformly dark, whereas most of the as-spec'ed Madagascar rosewood fretboards can tend to be fairly well figured :

to7Z7rL.png

. . . or the black speck on the nut (your ebay listing on the right), scratch on top of the low E tuner post, etc. Truss rod cover screws turned, so maybe the TR's been adjusted.

V3uugjj.png

So somewhere over the last four years, it's lost it's case, and gained electronics. Enjoy your new incoming SJ-200 True Vintage.

I would swear it’s the exact same guitar. the un regular grain stripes of the table  are at the same positions. The different lighting condition makes it appear a little darker on the right side photo.

congrats to this amazing beauty 

Edited by paul300
misunderstanding

1 hour ago, paul300 said:

I would swear it’s the exact same guitar. the un regular grain stripes of the table  are at the same positions. The different lighting condition makes it appear a little darker on the right side photo.

i work in a very visual environment so I’m the photography cop lol 

congrats to this amazing beauty 

It is the same guitar, as 62burst said. Top grain matches exactly.

• Thanks 2