Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup Wiring help: Neck works, bridge works, no sound in middle position??

Somnospeed

Anyone know what may be causing an issue where neck works, bridge works, but zero sound in the middle position. Bad switch? Improper wiring? I mean there just can't be that many reasons for this issue but I've been working on this 3 hours now and nothing. ANY help is appreciated. Can we please start with simply telling me all the ways that this problem could even happen?? I work better when I understand the why before I try the how. Thanks!

13 minutes ago, Somnospeed said:

both Volumes are at 10

Ok you may have a broken wire if you say in the T or the R position the individual pups work. Could be a bad solder joint. The jack has to be okay if any pup works. The switch is common to both pups in the middle position. A ground maybe, but not usually, a loose or bad ground makes god awful hum until you touch the strings and complete the circuit. Its been years since I had an electric, but I am an electrician and sometimes spent hours on an electric guitar problem. Do you have a multi meter?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

SGT Pepper's hypothesis could be evaluated by a good look inside the larger (4 screw) back cavity, and examining the wires and soldering at the four pots. 

mihcmac read my mind.
I was going to suggest taking off the small round (3 screw) back cover and spritzing some DeOxit into that switch, and working it back and forth for a few seconds. 

😐

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Somnospeed said:

Fixed! Was a poorly manufactured selector switch.  It was not making proper contact in the middle position. Squeezed it. Fixed it. lol

Nice find. I'm not a Sgt and didn't play one on TV, but I am a real electrician.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 3

Somnospeed, I was going to suggest the middle position contact of the switch or a wire in that position as the cause while reading your initial post, but as usual, the folks on here bring a wealth of knowledge to solve problems like this.  Glad you were able to correct it for no cash outlay either.