Gibson Brands Forums

58 years of Bird

JuanCarlosVejar

57 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Apparently, Jagger gets  satisfaction out of a 'Bird.

🤣 

Yes, and has at least 2 cherries. This is the stage ex - 

David Palma Tapia on Twitter: "Mick Jagger Cool Look  https://t.co/HcmOnQNa6h" / Twitter

From where did you get the 58 JCV ? , , , ouh you assume it's the first he got in back 1965. A 64er - could be right. 

11 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Why is there no Jagger Sig Model HB?

I believe he won't allow it - Keith definitely wouldn't. 

Maybe it'll be the last thing they do, , , or disagree about. . . 

Just now, E-minor7 said:

I believe he won't allow it - Keith definitely wouldn't. 

Maybe it'll be the last thing they do, , , or disagree about. . . 

Is Keef the boss of Mick. 

57 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Nope - 

Thing is that Keith went too far into the rock'n'roll haze which made Mick take over. When K re-emerged from the fog M kind of diminished him as it was pretty good to lead alone. At the same time business-people had convinced M he could go solo and be as big as Jackson. 👺It was a mess back there. 

At some point K looked through it all and said :

Look M, your thing isn't flying, not even your Bird - and you now have to realize Stones is bigger than the 2 of us.

Then they got their act together. 

Edited by E-minor7

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

From the release of the "Jumping Jack Flash" 45 rpm to "Exile" - no argument.

Though it was there Led Zep and Deep Purple took off. And let's not forget The Who, , , , , , 

something serious makes me think of Steppenwolf here. . 

longevity and sheer volume of tours and work,  and self-indulgence plus great live shows, 60 years on the go even the beatles didnt get ,or zep or jimi or ccr,   soooo for me , maybe only sometimes my favorite but to me allways the greatest. Jim

• 4 weeks later...

A deeper spot in me just knew Mick would have one with the ceramic saddle intact. He of course knows how to appreciate'n'celebrate the precious unique original sound.

This is NOT the stage-ex seen above. Both are first wave Birds though.       

FB 2 hours ago ~ wjb6pHo.jpg

21 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

A deeper spot in me just knew Mick would have one with the ceramic saddle intact. He of course knows how to appreciate'n'celebrate the precious unique original sound.

This is NOT the stage-ex seen above. Both are first wave Birds though.       

FB 2 hours ago ~ wjb6pHo.jpg

Why is he holding a Black Strat?

Keef and Fender had discussions about a micawber model. Talks broke down at some point. I'd buy one in a New York minute. Well, heh he, maybe not THIS week. <snicker>

Hummingbirds can most certainly play acoustic renditions of both Kashmir and When the Levee Breaks and many other assorted Led Zep songs. Not just for Rolling Stones, tunes. On Kasmir, doing a sort of percussive right hand pick and palm-heal muted motion and droning walks up and down does quite well to replace the whole sound and vibe of the song. Maybe it sucks, but it's a lot of fun.  I'm thinking Battle of Evermore next.

Legend has it that one of Mick's 'birds got lost in a London airport only to be found in storage something like 30-40 years later. 

23 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Legend has it that one of Mick's 'birds got lost in a London airport only to be found in storage something like 30-40 years later. 

This is the kind of story you'ld like to hear from the lions owns mouth. Then again never trust a Stone. When did it come your way, , , recently ?

I managed to count 4 Birds in Mick's contemporary voliere. There may be a few more.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Keith ? , , ,  he let them fly decades ago. . . 

5 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

This is the kind of story you'ld like to hear from the lions owns mouth. Then again never trust a Stone. When did it come your way, , , recently ?

I managed to count 4 Birds in Mick's contemporary voliere. There may be a few more.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Keith ? , , ,  he let them fly decades ago. . . 

Why did Keef give them up? Size? Money?

1 hour ago, BoSoxBiker said:

Why did Keef give them up? Size? Money?

It's a good question.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  One answer could be that he got tired of being a walking poster for Gibson Hummingbirds - especially if he had grown out of the model and no longer used it neither live or in the studio.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Another is that the smaller vintage Martins that he got at some point simply made his bells ring instead.                                                                                                                                                                              I have the idea he hasn't been behind a Bird since the intro to Angie. That was in 1972.

Except for this occasion - oDJW9Gh.jpg

Mick then not so long ago realized that the band was connected to this acoustic guitar - and that the pair had legend-status. He therefor soon took an almost mint ex off the case.                                                                                                                  As there are reasons to believe he likes it, obviously both a wise and romantic move from the jumping singer. 

Mick ! are you reading these pages - then please make that video where you tell us about your collection of HBs and its story up through the decades. People would like'n'lick it. 

Edited by E-minor7

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2022 at 9:01 AM, E-minor7 said:

It's a good question.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                  One answer could be that he got tired of being a walking poster for Gibson Hummingbirds - especially if he had grown out of the model and no longer used it neither live or in the studio.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Another is that the smaller vintage Martins that he got at some point simply made his bells ring instead.                                                                                                                                                                              I have the idea he hasn't been behind a Bird since the intro to Angie. That was in 1972.

Except for this occasion - oDJW9Gh.jpg

Mick then not so long ago realized that the band was connected to this acoustic guitar - and that the pair had legend-status. He therefor soon took an almost mint ex off the case.                                                                                                                  As there are reasons to believe he likes it, obviously both a wise and romantic move from the jumping singer. 

Mick ! are you reading these pages - then please make that video where you tell us about your collection of HBs and its story up through the decades. People would like'n'lick it. 

That photo shoot pic with that bird does not look like a comfy fit.

On 2/21/2022 at 9:18 AM, E-minor7 said:

At the same time business-people had convinced M he could go solo and be as big as Jackson. 👺It was a mess back there. 

I was thinking about this. In Keef's book, "Life", he wrote of this signing as a big betrayal. He went on to write that the one good thing that came out of this was that he got to learn and appreciate Mick's job a lot more because of his experience fronting the 'Winos. Who knows how the past 30 years plays out if they didn't have their 80's war.

The other thing I was thinking was that there were a few bright spots in their solo works. I did like the Jagged Edge album. I also listen to Keef's first two albums from time to time. I remember thinking how much the Ex Pensive Winos' drummer sounded like Charlie Watts. Sure enough, decades later, Steve Jordan is sitting in for Charlie(RIP).