Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SJ-200 advice

Will Walker

Only just registered (I'm in UK) to pick collective brains here please. 

I'm getting confused with the models available, both new and used.

The 'Studio' seem to be cheaper version (but I'm unsure of the differences in spec), so is it worth going for a Standard, or maybe one with an Adirondack top (?Vintage series). 

Some appear to have 'Standard' written on the truss rod covers, others not. I need to educate myself before buying really... hence the post.

The talent eludes me unfortunately, but I'm after that Jimmy Page sound on the first Zep album.

With thanks and good wishes

Will

2 hours ago, Will Walker said:

The 'Studio' seem to be cheaper version (but I'm unsure of the differences in spec), so is it worth going for a Standard, or maybe one with an Adirondack top (?Vintage series). 

Some appear to have 'Standard' written on the truss rod covers, others not. I need to educate myself before buying really... hence the post.

The talent eludes me unfortunately, but I'm after that Jimmy Page sound on the first Zep album.

Will

I have a standard from 2016,

I do think it's down to the cosmetics as the main difference.

With the J200, I think it's a go big or go home thing I guess

I'd suggest at LEAST the SJ200 Standard.

The truss rod covers can vary quite a bit it would seem. 

For example, my SJ200 has 2016 inscribed on it, and nothing else.

Page used a borrowed '63 J200 on the early Zep recordings.  So, it would be a very different beast than a Bozeman version.  Different bracing, body depth, bridge, and such.  Coincidentally somebody recently posted about a '63 J200 Norm's had up for grabs albeit with a natural top.  

While I do not know about neck carves, it appears that the main difference between the Studio and the Standard would be Studio has an even slimmer body.   But in terms of looks both will get you there.

On another note, the acoustic Page is most associated with is the Harmony Sovereign H1260.  This is the guitar he used to write out the songs on the first three Zep LPs, record acoustic parts on Zep III (including "Stairway to Heaven"), and on stage.   I believe he still owns it.

7 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

Page used a borrowed '63 J200 on the early Zep recordings.  So, it would be a very different beast than a Bozeman version.  Different bracing, body depth, bridge, and such.  Coincidentally somebody recently posted about a '63 J200 Norm's had up for grabs albeit with a natural top.  

While I do not know about neck carves, it appears that the main difference between the Studio and the Standard would be Studio has an even slimmer body.   But in terms of looks both will get you there.

On another note, the acoustic Page is most associated with is the Harmony Sovereign H1260.  This is the guitar he used to write out the songs on the first three Zep LPs, record acoustic parts on Zep III (including "Stairway to Heaven"), and on stage.   I believe he still owns it.

you're right of course, it was the Harmony that he used for a lot of the early tracks

but ya know stranger things have happened, when you consider all the Les Pauls people bought when they heard the solo for Stairway, which actually was tracked on a telecaster...  🙃

Edited by kidblast

For pure unplugged, straight acoustic I'm not disappointed with my Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200 in Vintage Sunburst.

But for best value I think the SJ-200 Original is also very appealing with keystone tuners and 4-bar insert bridge.

Here's the specifications to compare.

H7uH0Rqh.jpg

• Like 1

Not only is a J200 a fantastic guitar, but there are 7,302 different J200 models to pick from (only to be surpassed by the J45 with 7,812 different models)….Seriously, I’ve got a 2020 J200 with a spruce top and mystic rosewood back and sides and it’s has a rumbling, deep bass that really appeals to me..  They call it a Montana Gold.  They can call it whatever they want and use whatever tone woods, etc. they like and the J200 frame still makes for one-hell-of-a-guitar.  ….AND, don’t sweat the talent part.  A guitar like a J200 will literally make you want to play and improve you techniques and ability.  If my talent equaled the quality of my guitars, Roy Clark and Glen Campbell would have wanted to take lessons from me…..Just relax and have fun.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, BoSoxBiker said:

The other CS version last year with a Rosewood B&S was that Pre War model. Everything MP ways about his beloved applies to mine. It's a lot of rumble and it's great fun to play. That said, I would not turn down one like Brucebubs has. 🙂

Visually there's not much difference between my Historic 1957(on right)  and the SJ-200 Original.(on left)

lAoyU2Zl.jpgfg5Z5Yfl.jpg

5 hours ago, Brucebubs said:

Visually there's not much difference between my Historic 1957(on right)  and the SJ-200 Original.(on left)

lAoyU2Zl.jpgfg5Z5Yfl.jpg

I forgot to mention this the last time we chatted about the differences. That one at Music Villa I pointed out is labeled as an Original, but it's a two-bar Mustache. I hope it's not a sign of things to come. 

Thanks to all for the really helpful replies.

Difficult to wrong with a J-200 by the sound of it! 

My friend has an Epiphone Elite/Elitist (it's a great spec) which he picked up for a truly great price, and it's fantastic! I've searched for one of these too but they seldom become available.

Thanks again... Will UK

I'm not sure if its still like this or not but in the 90s there was a huge difference in tone between the SJ-100, SJ-150, and SJ-200 even though each were sitka spruce and maple.  Looking you could say it was cosmetics only but I'm fairly certain that Gibson spent more time on the bracing of the more expensive models to make them sound quite a bit better.  The SJ-200s were far more responsive and lively sounding than all of the other more affordable models.  

Later on the custom shop variants really meant that someone with a bit more seasoned skilled hands spent more time and selected better materials to build the CS instruments than the standard.

I've been fortunate to own and play a lot of the different CS varian models over the years both SJ-200 Elites, Customs, True Vintage and even the latest Historic models.

All that being said the best one I've played is my clean all original 1949 Gibson SJ-200.

Good luck in the hunt.  For a killer looking rhythm instrument that does everything well a good SJ-200 is tough to beat!

• Like 1

Welcome!   Much has been said about them, as you know - or you wouldn't have set your sights on "The King of The Flat Tops."   My only suggestion would be - you only live once: Make your decision based on the assumption this might be the last guitar you purchase, and/or the only guitar you are able to own.   Don't get whatever you can find this month.  Or whatever you can afford this month.  Don't think of the SJ200 as a 'placeholder' -   it's the brass ring.  Get the real deal.  G'luck.  

On 3/2/2022 at 7:14 AM, Will Walker said:

Will

Judging from others Thread re; Gibsons’ Warranty in the UK you might want to do your due diligence before laying our $5000.00……