Gibson Brands Forums

Cowboy chords

RBSinTo

I've heard the term "cowboy chords" used in discussions, usually referring to those chord shapes played in the frets closest to the headstock. However, the term was never clearly defined, and I wonder if anyone could  clarify  the term, tell me what are, and more important what aren't cowboy chords?

Please and thanks

RBSinTo

12 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

I've heard the term "cowboy chords" used in discussions, usually referring to those chord shapes played in the frets closest to the headstock. However, the term was never clearly defined, and I wonder if anyone could  clarify  the term, tell me what are, and more important what aren't cowboy chords?

Please and thanks

RBSinTo

All the open chords, cause  they are easier to play, and most of the Country Artist mostly just hold the guitar as a prop.

You think Taylor Swift is playing the Hendrix chord the 7#9 chord. Not on your life. She gotta look pretty, and doesn't have time for that complicated chord.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, jvi said:

if your a cowboy and play guitar the chords are "cowboys   chords" ....(cow-persons )....

I'm and electrician, so I must play electrical chords. Although the coiled up curly ones don't really get that loud or make a good sound.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

All the open chords, cause  they are easier to play, and most of the Country Artist mostly just hold the guitar as a prop.

You think Taylor Swift is playing the Hendrix chord the 7#9 chord. Not on your life. She gotta look pretty, and doesn't have time for that complicated chord.

Chief,

Not sure what you mean by an "open" chord.

An example or two would help me to understand.

RBSinTo

9 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

Hey!  I'm offended!  I identify as a "cow person".  

Its not a derogatory name to me,  gene autry- roy rogers- dale evans - tex ritter- marty stewart- etc.....oh and willie.. .riden into the sunset sigin an playin ...

11 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

There go the dumplings!

I never thought getting a simple answer to a simple question would be so complicated.

RBSinTo

I'm gonna go with open G, C, E, A, D and if your really brave barre Bb and barre F. 

Did I earn my way to dumplings again?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm gonna go with open G, C, E, A, D and if your really brave barre Bb and barre F. 

Did I earn my way to dumplings again?

You can play F like C too….. On 2nd, 3rd & 4th strings…

13 minutes ago, jvi said:

Its not a derogatory name to me,  gene autry- roy rogers- dale evans - tex ritter- marty stewart- etc.....oh and willie.. .riden into the sunset sigin an playin ...

What if you identify as a Cow-transgender swimmer? If you can't beat up the real cowboys you beat up on the cowgirls while pretending to be a cowgirl, while taking hormones to grow a set of boobs. Its the new normal

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

I've always considered three-fingered open chords 'Cowboy Chords'.   A played by barring the D, G, B & E strings with the pinkie placed on the A on the 1st string....then the standard "D" chord.... and the standard "E" chord.....all three fingers or less!

If they play in "C", the  the don't hit the E string, play a 3-fingered "C".   "F" is played by not hitting the "E" and "A" strings.... and the "G" is played like most of us play it.

I have seen old C&W singers play a nice B7 when playing in the key of "E".

Not many 7th chords, (they're covered by the backing band).

Singers become popular because of their voices, and/or songwriting.... very few are popular because of their playing.

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Chief,

When barred chords are called for, I play them that way.  That's the way I learned, and it makes life so much easier.

So when is a chord, not a cowboy chord?

RBSinTo

1 minute ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

When barred chords are called for, I play them that way.  That's the way I learned, and it makes life so much easier.

RBSinTo

When Slash is playing them.

2 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Chief,

RBSinTo

When it’s a Bar Chord! LOL!