Gibson Brands Forums

My New 2009 Gibson Custom Shop ES-175 Figured Vintage Sunburst + COA OHSC

jimmiJAMM

So the last one I bought (1986 ES-175) arrived with a three inch crack in the top laminate near the f-hole and I returned it only to find this beauty a day later! Can anyone tell me more about guitars made in the Custom Shop?  Are they truly painstakingly built to higher standards than regular Gibsons? Thanks!

May be an image of guitar and indoor

MINTY! 2009 Gibson Custom ES-175  Figured Vintage Sunburst Archtop Guitar + COA OHSC image 22

MINTY! 2009 Gibson Custom ES-175  Figured Vintage Sunburst Archtop Guitar + COA OHSC image 3

MINTY! 2009 Gibson Custom ES-175  Figured Vintage Sunburst Archtop Guitar + COA OHSC image 7

MINTY! 2009 Gibson Custom ES-175  Figured Vintage Sunburst Archtop Guitar + COA OHSC image 8

MINTY! 2009 Gibson Custom ES-175  Figured Vintage Sunburst Archtop Guitar + COA OHSC image 13

MINTY! 2009 Gibson Custom ES-175  Figured Vintage Sunburst Archtop Guitar + COA OHSC image 15

• Like 3

Wow!

The only thing I can tell you for sure is they have a different feel to them but you've already discovered that.

My semi-educated guess is it's like Harley: you have the regular bikes being slammed together on the production floor and then you have the Screaming  Chicken models that are assembled by senior employees on the top floor away from the madhouse.  With Harlee a couple of guys do the Screaming Chickens  from start to finish, the regular models are on an overhead conveyor and they go from station to station.

I'll bet Gibson does the same thing with the highest quality parts going to the most experienced personnel.

Thank you for your reply, that makes sense. Can't wait until she arrives in a few days! Apparently it belonged to an L.A. studio musician so which explains why it looks brand new. It was well stored and only used on certain recording sessions. Talk about a lucky break, the guy said I bought it just a few minutes after he listed her!

Can anyone tell me why there's only one strap button at the tailpiece on this thing? I feel like wrapping the strap end bit around the headstock will put undue stress on the neck. Why would this be missing on this model, hasn't anyone ever wanted to stand while playing one?

I imagine that the main purpose of the tail pin is to anchor the tailpiece. Full hollowbody construction traditionally try hard to exclude everything from within the acoustic chamber. 

Its the same way with my Hofner archtop.

So yes a strap that attaches to the neck would seem the only option without drilling holes in your guitar.

Even if you were tempted, you'd have to decide on where to position it. The heel would be safest. If you holed the upper bout, you would have to also add reinforcing material behind the side panel. I've done this to a Squire using wood shavings & glue. Personally I would rather use a chair. 

wow, that's beautiful.  about the strap pin, I seem to recall the 175s do not have one installed before they set them free.

it's not a big deal to install one,  I do get the "taking a drill to it " anxiety, but in being all practical and stuff, that SHOULD have a heel pin.

I felt the same way with my J200, about ten seconds after I installed it tho, I was cured...

I'd be inclined to install it the treble side of the heel some where around the half way point from the body.

Edited by kidblast