Gibson Brands Forums

Robot guitar.

LT ED

Just spotted a robot guitar at my local guitar shop. Anybody know how many were made in the first run and what if any problems are being had.Only time will tell but all the micro electrics worry me a little. Any thoughts folks.Also anybody know why gibson used a studio instead of a standard?

There were 4000 Robots made... 2000 for the states and 2000 for europe and Aisa. So far I have not had any problems with mine but I just use it at home in my studio. The tuning system works great! It´s not really a Gibson Studio... Or maybe it is but at worst its a Studio Custom Shop. It has a 50´s style neck, ebony finger board and a bound headstock, things you would never find on a Studio... I don´t think it has the standar pickups in it either but I could be wrong there...

I just made a post to answer your question but it didn´t come up in the forum so here it is again... Sorry if this repeats:

There were 4000 robots made, 2000 for the states and 2000 for Europe and Asia... I have not had any problems with mine but I only use it at home in my studio. The tuning system works great! it´s not really a Ginson Studio... Well maybe it is but at worst its a Studio Custom Shop. It has a 50´s style neck that fells great. The finger board is ebony and it has a binded headstock... All things you wouldn´t find on a Studio...

No, it's just a Studio...there's no Custom Studio. Gibson probably chose the Studio over the Standard to keep the sticker price down. From what I hear, the "Robot" option will be available on most Gibson guitars within two years, but the silver/blue finish is exclusive to the current Robots.

It's not "just a Studio" It has lots of extras that the studio doesn't have... Granted the model used to create this first addition of the Robot may have been based on a Studio but the only thing in common with the Studio is that the body doesn't have a binding. I wish it did. I already had a ding... Ouch!!

I have seen a few folks with some minor problems, nothing that can't be fixed though. I have one and decided to test it one day. I played for about 6 hours straight, changing the tunings every few minutes then noodling around. It tuned fine each time. I played with the tuners (make sure you pull them out fully first) and retuned it over and over. I found that sometimes the low E string could be the most difficult to get into tune, but a few strums and it would tune. Nothing more than a few extra seconds there. Also if you do pull a tuner out to manually tune a string, make sure it is fully pushed in and engaged. I found that occasionally the tuner button would push in, but it was not fully in. Then the string would not tune after a few tries, so I would pull it out and push it back in again and it would be fine. It was almost like the gears were not lined up enough to allow me to push it fully in. Again, to me, nothing too serious, nor faulty. It is a gearbox after all, and it is possible that the gears might not line up 100%. The other thing to be aware of, is when you go to charge your battery, use the shortest cable you have. A patch cable or something under 10ft should be fine. We had one poster here who couldn't get his to charge because the cord was too long.

I think it is a cool guitar. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I like mine. The pickups are the 490/498 set that is used in the Studio, Supreme and Custom.

Hi,

The only real issue that stands out for UK buyers of a Robot is not having the charger included with the guitar! (When bought new) There have been several posts on the old forums with UK buyers buying a Robot and no charger is present. I dont know if this is an issue over different voltage but im sure Gibson has worked something out and if you have seen it here in the UK then it must have a charger with it.

Regards

the only problem i have with the robot is that if you start relying on the guitar to tune itself' date=' in time your gonna lose your sense of pitch and note recognition. Thats just my point of view.[/quote']

Once you know how to ride a bicycle you know it for life. You are not going to forget how to ride because you buy a motor bike and forget how to peddle... You have learned how to balance and wont ever loose that. The Robot guitar may even help you train your ear so as soon as you pick up any other guitar you will know how out it is. Then get a tuner and check and make adjustments or even better a piano and play an E and the tune the rest of the strings to that.... Once you have a trained ear you will never loose it don't worry... At times you may wish your ear wasn't so trained....

robot guitar issues>>>

anyone having problems with the finish???? i bought one and when it arrived it smelled like wet paint and the finish was tacky and very soft.... the merchant replaced it.... the new one seems better ( i left it out of the case for 10 days or so to dry), but it is also very soft... after 4 weeks of use seems that it has accumulated marring and scratches unlike any gtr i have ever owned. Just sent it back to gibson for fixing!! they say they will take care of it!!! sure hope so, as i really like the axe...... sounds great, great color and it is great live.

Byron123

The latest round of robots is coming out for those of you who haven't noticed:

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/lespaul/robotlpstudioltd/

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/sg/robotsgspecialltd/

Same color purple on both. I didn't see anything on the GC website, but MF is taking reservations for both the LP and SG, no street prices listed yet.

I know you guys have talked about this, but im going to add my two cents.

If you have a first run edition of the robot....hang on to it!!!

I was talking with the manager at L&M here in Canada.

He told me he wishes he had picked up a few.

They are quickly becoming collectors items. I guess you guys already know that.

Im not a guy who buys a guitar as an investment....the thought makes me ill actually.

But, if anyone who has a robot and is thinking of selling it for one reason or another.

Put it away for a few years....$$$$$$

Lol whats up with the crazy MSRP the limited edition models were half that price.

I guess now they are actually charging the price of the tunning tech to the actual price of the guitar... if you look at the price of the tunning kit alone, it costs nearly as much as a lp studio.

I actually like the purpple finish better than the blue/silver ... lokks very 80s hair metal to me, and i happen to like that music very much. I'm really thinking about getting one, are they gonna be permanent production models or just limited editions? cause ill have to wait till december to get mine... cant wait.

The latest round of robots is coming out for those of you who haven't noticed:

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/lespaul/robotlpstudioltd/

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/divisions/gibson%20usa/products/sg/robotsgspecialltd/

Same color purple on both. I didn't see anything on the GC website' date=' but MF is taking reservations for both the LP and SG, no street prices listed yet.[/quote']

If you read the description, there are two colours - purple and green metallic.

Archived