11 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Before I got older, blues in despair,  after yesterday

Linda’s vegan recipes in Morrisons aisles

Blackbird fuelling thousands of miles

Doors were ajar, and a jar was a door, when I was adored

Since you still feed me, will you still heed me, like when I was 64

What about at 80? 

Listen fellas.

I’m going to give a couple of you guys a chance to clean up your post about some of the comments regarding accusations of breaking laws regarding pedophilia and insinuating without any proof. That’s not what this thread is about.

If you don’t fix your posts then I’m going to go nuclear on the thread and give a few a vacation away from here.

gracias.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jaxson50 said:

True,  but they did t write protest songs,  that was my point,

John started to be a political nut after the Fab 4. What about most of/all of Sometime In NYC album, and Working Class Hero from the POB album.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 5/18/2022 at 3:51 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

John started to be a political nut after the Fab 4.

What about I AM THE WALRUS.  REVOLUTION and COME TOGETHER?  After the band met Dylan in '64 John got obsessed with political and social issues.  

Whitefang.

On 5/19/2022 at 8:55 AM, Whitefang said:

What about I AM THE WALRUS.  REVOLUTION and COME TOGETHER?  After the band met Dylan in '64 John got obsessed with political and social issues.  

Whitefang.

I Am the Walrus? Political?  

What's the message of Revolution? " Yeah we all want change, but if you identify with communist you can count me out."

Come Together? What's political about that? 

Taxman was their first anti government song, and it protested TAXES!

Use critical thinking when you listen and you'll notice.  They aren't out and out "protest" songs,  but do point out certain anomalies in social discourse and behavior.  

Plus, "protest" songs aren't necessarily nor typically "anti-government".    It's said Bob Dylan's "Blowin' In The Wind" was the quintessential "protest song".  But notice there's nothing at all "anti-government" in the lyrics.  [wink]

And in my opinion(as a near 60 year Dylan "freak")  his "quintessential"  protest and social commentary song is;

Hearing it first as a 14 year old I was struck by it's profound relevance at the time( and still today) as it said for me how I was feeling about things then('65) but couldn't articulate as well.

Whitefang

Yeah, that could bum some people out.  Went through a similar type of thing.

In the very early stage of my relationship with the woman who would become my second wife I, in an effort to "get in good" got her tickets to an upcoming Lionel Richie concert, her being a huge fan(me not so much, but a big fan of hers [wink]).   It was at the now defunct and razed Joe Louis Arena and we left in plenty of time to get there,  but a traffic snarl  due to some kind of 18 wheeler accident made us late,  but in time to see opening act Sheila E wave good-bye as she left the stage. 

Whitefang

8 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Yeah, that could bum some people out.  Went through a similar type of thing.

In the very early stage of my relationship with the woman who would become my second wife I, in an effort to "get in good" got her tickets to an upcoming Lionel Richie concert, her being a huge fan(me not so much, but a big fan of hers [wink]).   It was at the now defunct and razed Joe Louis Arena and we left in plenty of time to get there,  but a traffic snarl  due to some kind of 18 wheeler accident made us late,  but in time to see opening act Sheila E wave good-bye as she left the stage. 

Whitefang

Sorry you had to endure the Dancing On The Ceiling guy. After he left the Commodores he turned into a huge p-ussy if he wasn't one already. I do like the song Easy, but I like Faith No More's version better.

• Thanks 1

I've only ever missed part of 2 shows of all the shows I have ever been to. One was due to a flat on the way to the Residents 13th Anniversary show in SF, and the other when my friends father came home from work I was at my buddies house hanging out, and he said David Gilmour is playing tonight want to go. I said "F Yes" and we jumped in the car and drove to the record store to get the tix (its 1984 mind you) and we made the drive from San Jose to Berkeley.  Got there during the second song of Dave's set. The opener was Icicle Works. I wanted to see them, but life will go on.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On ticket prices; I am off to see John Mclaughlin in London next Saturday at the same hall as in 2019, the Barbican.  We have much better seats and the price is £10 less this time.   [thumbup]

Edited by jdgm

5 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.  And anyway...

M'lady's gratitude was well worth the tribulation.  [wink] 

Whitefang

Thinking with the little Whitefang, we have all been there.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I've only ever missed part of 2 shows of all the shows I have ever been to. One was due to a flat on the way to the Residents 13th Anniversary show in SF, and the other when my friends father came home from work I was at my buddies house hanging out, and he said David Gilmour is playing tonight want to go. I said "F Yes" and we jumped in the car and drove to the record store to get the tix (its 1984 mind you) and we made the drive from San Jose to Berkeley.  Got there during the second song of Dave's set. The opener was Icicle Works. I wanted to see them, but life will go on.

I was late to the stones at Sofi stadium in October because of omnipresent L.A. Traffic (or I should say slow traffic). Their second song was All Down the Line, one of my absolute favorites. I heard it from the parking lot so not all was lost but damn LA Traffic. (Once wrote a song about it).

btw I'm going to see Elvis (Costello, not impersonator)in Thousand Oaks in August. $50/ticket for great seats. Not bad.

7 minutes ago, Tman said:

I was late to the stones at Sofi stadium in October because of omnipresent L.A. Traffic (or I should say slow traffic). Their second song was All Down the Line, one of my absolute favorites. I heard it from the parking lot so not all was lost but damn LA Traffic. (Once wrote a song about it).

btw I'm going to see Elvis (Costello, not impersonator)in Thousand Oaks in August. $50/ticket for great seats. Not bad.

I’ve seen him 3 times. He did not disappoint at any of them. He was my last show before the world changed. I’ve been back to shows since.

I just got tix to see Father John Misty. Tix were $45. I just looked last night and Pat Benetar/Neil Giraldo (that is how its billed now) are coming close. I had tix to see her a few years back but it got cancelled, not due to CV-19, this is a few years before that. Tix up close are $250, and in the back like $145. Yeah Pat, I know you and Neil gotta eat, but that will be a nope for me.

I think all in all maybe $75 is the most I would spend if it was someone I, what would be good words to use - needed/have/want - to see.

Now that I work at the Carolina Opry any show the house puts on I can see for free, and also the major acts that come too. Most times I will be working that night and will be there any way. My wife can come too. I was bummed Blues Traveler got cancelled. The fat guy got Covid.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper