Gibson Brands Forums

Concert Prices

Sgt. Pepper

Here is a guy who is not to happy with ticket prices for the recent Macca concert in his area. How do you feel about the matter? Its Paul's show and he can charge what he wants, or its highway robbery. I guess in England it would be the Motorway.

https://www.lamag.com/culturefiles/an-open-letter-to-paul-mccartney-regarding-ticket-prices/

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I've seen almost every band I wanted to see. Amazingly content with watching gigs on Youtube these days. 

"The kids" will have to create their own realities.

I mean, they do. It's just that I'm loving being over the hill. 

Edited by Pinch
  • Like 1

Saw Macca in '15 and I no way in hell paid that much. We blame this disease on everything in the world going up in price 10 fold, and its time (at least for me) to say "no" to it. I guess some things like food and gas its hard to say "no" to as they are necessities, but paying that for a show is your choice, not mine. I still go to shows, but I have a limit of what I will spend on anyone. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

When I saw Sir Paul, he went up on a riser and did Blackbird (a fav of mine) solo with a D-28. I was elated and horrified at the same time. I know he's gonna be 80 next month, and I gave him a pass for being Paul, but his voice can't do it anymore. The rockers he can get away with, the ballads, not so much.

Ticket prices were less than album prices when I was 16.  I saw Deep Purple at the time of the 'In Rock' album.   I saw Pink Floyd do 'Dark Side of the Moon' before the LP came out. It was just pocket money prices. Some bands even played free concerts.

Now? Its exploitation. Its ridiculous.

McCartney isn't short of  a few bob. He's worth $1.2 Billion. 

• Like 1

Pretty much everything today I feel is exploiting us monetarily. You pay more today for a lower quality product all around, across the board. That’s been my experience these days, ymmv. 

Side note have you ever been to a concert and been let down afterwards. For instance, I love Megadeth music, but watching the band in concert today is cringe. Costs more every year they are on tour though… not going to see the Stones where they all look like they came from the senior center before the show. Someone had to tell Keith where he is probably. Don’t go see your heroes, you might be let down hard. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

How do his prices compare with other top Acts? My kids went to see Taylor Swift & her Ticket prices were thru the Roof!!!

I haven’t been to a Concert in 2-3 years.. I’ve seen almost every Band I ever wanted to see.. Most of them when they were young & at their peak… I prefer to remember them that way… I did see Paul a few years ago but he was still in good voice & didn’t look 80…. I’m good..

There really aren’t any new young Bands I’m interested in.. I wish there though…

9 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

How do his prices compare with other top Acts? My kids went to see Taylor Swift & her Ticket prices were thru the Roof!!!

I haven’t been to a Concert in 2-3 years.. I’ve seen almost every Band I ever wanted to see.. Most of them when they were young & at their peak… I prefer to remember them that way… I did see Paul a few years ago but he was still in good voice & didn’t look 80…. I’m good..

There really aren’t any new young Bands I’m interested in.. I wish there though…

Yeah I wish I was interested in something new too. There are good bands out there just hard to find. I just want music made by real people - not this fake image, corporate, unoriginal, washed down PC garbage. A lot of fake people out there it seems

3 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Ticket prices were less than album prices when I was 16.  I saw Deep Purple at the time of the 'In Rock' album.   I saw Pink Floyd do 'Dark Side of the Moon' before the LP came out. It was just pocket money prices. Some bands even played free concerts.

Now? Its exploitation. Its ridiculous.

McCartney isn't short of  a few bob. He's worth $1.2 Billion. 

Now musician only make most of their money touring. Album sales are dame near non existent. I just looked at my ticket stubs, and my second concert ever was Rush on the Moving Pictures Tour. $12.50.

2 hours ago, NighthawkChris said:

Side note have you ever been to a concert and been let down afterwards. For instance, I love Megadeth music, but watching the band in concert today is cringe. Costs more every year they are on tour though… not going to see the Stones where they all look like they came from the senior center before the show. Someone had to tell Keith where he is probably. Don’t go see your heroes, you might be let down hard. 

I totally feel ripped off by The Rolling Stones. I think they were my 3rd concert ever, on the Tattoo You Tour in '81. Other that the Beach Boys, them and the Stones were the two worst shows I ever attended. The last time I saw Willie Nelson was pretty bad too. I stayed an endured The Stones. I left The BB concert after 5 songs.

27 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I totally feel ripped off by The Rolling Stones. I think they were my 3rd concert ever, on the Tattoo You Tour in '81. Other that the Beach Boys, them and the Stones were the two worst shows I ever attended. The last time I saw Willie Nelson was pretty bad too. I stayed an endured The Stones. I left The BB concert after 5 songs.

I saw all of them when they were in their 20’s… That’s how I want to remember them… And they were Great!!!!

6 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I saw all of them when they were in their 20’s… That’s how I want to remember them… And they were Great!!!!

Unfortunately that is my one any only live Stones memory, and the reason I never paid $ to see them ever again.  I saw them the day before my 16th birthday in SF at Candlestick Park. Ever been there in the summer. Its freezing, and in October its 10 times worse. J Geils and George Thorogood opened for them and both made The Stones look really awful. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The irony of this topic is, most of the rock acts and all of the folk/rock acts write songs complaining about capitalism,  then they charge outrageous amounts for tickets to their shows, and live in multiple mansions, moan and grown about evil oil companies while collecting expensive sports cars and private jets.

And their fans go along with it..a bunch of saps.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, jaxson50 said:

The irony of this topic is, most of the rock acts and all of the folk/rock acts write songs complaining about capitalism,  then they charge outrageous amounts for tickets to their shows, and live in multiple mansions, moan and grown about evil oil companies while collecting expensive sports cars and private jets.

And their fans go along with it..a bunch of saps.

You are so right. And there are those out there, foolish enough to think that because they are who they are, and say the thing they say, that they are right about the topic they are spewing on.

Paul, Bob, and slew of others are brilliant songwriters, but I care less than nothing about their politics or anything else they believe. I enjoy the music you make and that is where it ends. If you think this politician is good or bad that's you opinion and how about you keep it to yourself.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Unfortunately that is my one any only live Stones memory, and the reason I never paid $ to see them ever again.  I saw them the day before my 16th birthday in SF at Candlestick Park. Ever been there in the summer. Its freezing, and in October its 10 times worse. J Geils and George Thorogood opened for them and both made The Stones look really awful. 

I used to live in San Jose & loved going to S.F. every weekend it seemed like.. I went a couple years ago.. You couldn’t pay me to go back the way it is now… Same for L.A., N.Y.C., Minneapolis, Seattle & many other Cities I loved going to… 

9 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I used to live in San Jose & loved going to S.F. every weekend it seemed like.. I went a couple years ago.. You couldn’t pay me to go back the way it is now… Same for L.A., N.Y.C., Minneapolis, Seattle & many other Cities I loved going to… 

I lived in San Jose from '68 - '87. Then I came back to the Bay Are and lived in Milpitas, Fremont and Pleasanton from '94 - 97, and then moved to Santa Rosa from '97 - 00. There was another guy here on the forum who live in Bay Area. We were both at the same Stones show and probably a few others. I graduated from Pioneer High School. Lucky Me.

My mother passed away a few years back and she lived in Shell Beach which is right next to Pismo. I flew in to SJ Airport and I swore I was in the wrong place. I did not recognize SJ. Its a disgusting urban tech s-hit hole now. I always used to call San Jose - San Hole, and now it is.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I lived a few miles from Los Gatos.. Which was beautiful! I spent a lot of time in the Saratoga Mtn's & Santa Cruz too... Really Cool People & Music Scene.. And *****en Beaches!!! We move back to Palm Springs in 74....

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Lol it’s a risky game going to concerts because it does affect me how I feel listening back to a band after seeing them in the flesh. No atrocities yet but have had a few let down moments though I can remember. Either way just got back from a Testament concert last Thursday and was great - THANK GOD! Literally my favorite band growing up and was good to see them in good form still. Wasn’t too pricey either, but you know, Testament isn’t the biggest act on the block. Tickets were less than $50. But nonetheless, big acts sometimes are anti-climactic. A lot to spend for that… parking, beer, merch… 

22 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I lived a few miles from Los Gatos.. Which was beautiful! I spent a lot of time in the Saratoga Mtn's & Santa Cruz too... Really Cool People & Music Scene.. And *****en Beaches!!! We move back to Palm Springs in 74....

I lived in La Quinta from 66 to 68, moved to the Coachella valley in 63 from San Diego,  I hated that sand box.

On 5/15/2022 at 8:09 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I never saw the Stones in concert,  but I did attend the Led Zeplin's  3 hour long concert, I lasted 30 minutes.  It was the worst  show I ever witnessed, the Salt Palace was  emptying out quickly as we bolted.

It was almost as if the band didn't know one single Zeplin song!  They would start a song, and within 8 bars each player was doing an improvisational interpretation that was out of time and key of the other players. And Plant was dancing around barefoot, screaming  incoherently and quite loudly.  

Having been to a Zombies  concert, I feel like I'm a good judge of bad shows, LZ won the prize.

Edited by jaxson50

We just bought three tickets for Halestorm for the Pacific Amphitheatre and it was $600. So I think $700 for three tix to see Sir Paul would be a steal of a deal. 

In most cases you get 6 months in advance to save up for tickets... My thing is give up something else, especially if you smoke cigarettes or have a drinking hobby that consumes some of your finances.