Gibson Brands Forums

Hum Debugger, have you tried one?

mihcmac

I read about one of these in another post one this forum. Being very curious I did some investigating and decided it was worth a try, so I got one. I have been using it for a few days now and it seems to really work well with my P90's. Electro Harmonix claims it will eliminate Hum on Gibson or Fender style single coils, including any type of wound pickup.

The instructions say that it must be the first device your guitar plugs into in your chain of effects. My basic setup has 3 overdrives and it works with them all on, using the Normal setting, I didn't have to use the strong setting until I added a couple more OD's. In addition when I used my usual setup at a location known to have bad 60 cycle Hum, the noise was was eliminated on the Normal setting.

All of my guitars have P90's most have a reverse coil on one of the pickups so that I get some hum cancelling in the mid switch position, that means when selecting an individual pickup it can be noisy. using the Hum Debugger all of the selector switch positions are quiet.

I wouldn't call it a compressor or a noise gate, the Hum Debugger is a digital device that has a True Bypass, using it's a no-brainer, just push the button.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Never really had that hum issue that some people talk about..... Not something I worry about...

I live in an area with relatively new electrical, so I don't get a lot of 50/60 cycle hum unless I crank my amp and have a couple of OD's kicked in, but now even with 3 OD's no Hum. 🙂

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

I thought the thread would be about these kind of things...  [wink]

Whitefang

Ok Ok Ok I'll try not to bug you any more. 😩

Here's the real Hum Debugger....

Edited by mihcmac
  • Haha 1

Yesterday I played at a totally solar powered home, not a lot of sun the last couple of days and when the batteries get low the inverter starts to create some dirty AC power. My amp sounded just like the one in the demo and just like magic when I stepped on the Hum Debugger the noise was gone...

My Blueshawk setup is my best for hum cancelling, having a reverse dummy coil in the back and a Vari-Tone that helps reduce noise in specific frequencies using it's notch filters. Also my Junior DC has an 04 Gibson P90 that is effected the most by 60 cycle, I sometimes use this guitar to help tweak the settings on my amp an effects to reduce noise. Now the problem is Eliminated so all I have to do is get the tone and sound I want at any volume level, with no loss of sustain or signal.

Edited by mihcmac

I think there's a few different units that do the same,  this one looks to be pretty inconspicuous.

They do work, and IME in the ones that I've plugged into in the past in studios when tracking,  they don't really mess with the signal chain beyond removing that 60 cycle noise.

glad it worked out for you, that noise is unavoidable with single coils.  It's nice to be able to filter that out.

• Thanks 1

Bass player pedal review.

Jazzmaster guitar pedal demo.

This Hum Eliminator has been available for quite a while, there most likely has been a few revisions since they were first introduced, I'm really glad I finally tried one.

Edited by mihcmac

• 3 weeks later...

Well a few weeks later the Hum Eliminator is still performing miracles, not only removing cycle hum but even the expected noise from a chain of overdrives which my Sans Amp has three.

0wJS8Qw.jpg

The Hum Debugger is amazing.

Edited by mihcmac