Gibson Brands Forums

L-00 standard 2022

Parafin

8 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Sorry I’m late to this…. I was over at the Rolex site telling everyone that my Timex keeps perfect time.

You, too.

I hang out at the Ford Forums and jabber on endlessly about my Ram Hemi.

• Haha 1

Parafin,

It´s hard to say if Martins are more expensive here in Europe. Just checked a standard D-28 price - found 2.999$ at an US store. Here in Germany you finda new  D-28 for 3.400€ in dirfferent online shops, which is really much more than in the USA (1$ = 0.93€ at the moment). Calculation would give around 2.800€ - without transportation, taxes, customs fees. I have bought a D-28 in 2018 for 2.790€ in Germany but this is a long time ago.

The number of offered Martins and escpecially Gibson acoustics is not big here at the moment. I have bought a new Martin D-18 two weeks ago in a store in Germany and I could talk to one of the store managers. The prices for Martins and Gibsons will rise in the next weeks due to the high inflation rate and new deliveries are rare.

So you can´t do anything wrong if you buy a Gibson or Martin or both - you are saving your money from inflation and will have a lot of fun playing the new guitar.

As described several times in this discussion, you should not give a damn about the opinion of so-called experts. My experience when buying the first Gibson (and Martin) acoustic guitars was that these experts have never owned such an instrument themselves in life and simply heard their "knowledge" somewhere. And still Gibsons should be bad according to the opinion of these "experts". Meanwhile I own 10 of them and all of them are very good, play well, sound fantastic and also look magnificent.

22 hours ago, Parafin said:

Hello people, I need an advice. Im thinking of buying L-00 standard new from a shop in Europe. I really like the looks, sound, and everything about it. My question is, is it worth 2800$ or 2400 Euros in Europe? My friends always advise me to buy Martin or similiar because they think Gibson has very "closed" and unpronounce sound, the problem is Martin in Europe is way more expensive than in USA, but Gibson has fair prices in Europe compare to USA. Also Im singer songwriter, and I mostly play fingerpicking, I intend to use the guitar to acompany my vocals. Is the l-00 only for blues and nothing else? Thanks for any advice.

Any reason you want to buy new?

I don’t think you get much warranty outside the US - maybe check on that.

See if you can buy a used 2001 - 2005 L-00 from Reverb.com and get it Fedexed!

BluesKing777.

1 minute ago, BluesKing777 said:

Any reason you want to buy new?

I don’t think you get much warranty outside the US - maybe check on that.

See if you can buy a used 2001 - 2005 L-00 from Reverb.com and get it Fedexed!

BluesKing777.

There's something don't know how you call it, something like customs fee when you purchase the item outside European Union, and you item gets stuck at customs, and you pay **** load of money to get it. If Im wrong, may be someone has other experience.

13 minutes ago, Parafin said:

There's something don't know how you call it, something like customs fee when you purchase the item outside European Union, and you item gets stuck at customs, and you pay **** load of money to get it. If Im wrong, may be someone has other experience.

It's called tax.

Politicians use it to grease each other.

All countries have it in different forms with different names. It's how they separate us from our wealth.

It's our fault though, because we outnumber them.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Parafin said:

A fair slice of the new L-00 price would be tax/Customs/travel plus 20% probably for the shop....?

See if you find a used L-00 closer to you.

BluesKing777.

Just now, BluesKing777 said:

A fair slice of the new L-00 price would be tax/Customs/travel plus 20% probably for the shop....?

See if you find a used L-00 closer to you.

BluesKing777.

There is no Gibson heritage in Europe unfortunately. Im gonna buy it new and enjoy it for the rest of my days.

3 hours ago, Parafin said:

Didn't the huge import tax thing start at Brexit? I don't think the US has control over how Europe a-ss rapes you when guitars come into that country. 

24 minutes ago, Leonard McCoy said:

Well, in Europe there is VAT, whereas in the US there isn't.

I doesn't matter in this case. The Gibby costs 2400 euros in Europe (1 $ = 0.94 Euro)

The Gibson in US is 2800$, while in Europe is 2800 x 0.94 = 2632 Euros, but it's 2400 Euros., which is good. 

Now Martin 00-18 is 2600$ but in Europe is 3000 Euros, which is insane.

2 hours ago, Parafin said:

I doesn't matter in this case. The Gibby costs 2400 euros in Europe (1 $ = 0.94 Euro)

The Gibson in US is 2800$, while in Europe is 2800 x 0.94 = 2632 Euros, but it's 2400 Euros., which is good. 

Now Martin 00-18 is 2600$ but in Europe is 3000 Euros, which is insane.

Do you think they just give away Gibson’s away over here because this is where there made? Gibson’s and Martin’s are expensive as hell over here. Even used prices are stupid high.

New 00-18’s are $2600 US over here.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Do you think they just give away Gibson’s away over here because this is where there made? Gibson’s and Martin’s are expensive as hell over here. Even used prices are stupid high.

New 00-18’s are $2600 US over here.

That's what I'm telling you. It's 20% more money in my country, it's 3200$ for 00-18 in Europe. Not to mention living standard is **** where I live. 

5 minutes ago, Parafin said:

That's what I'm telling you. It's 20% more money in my country, it's 3200$ for 00-18 in Europe. Not to mention living standard is **** where I live. 

Prices are going up all over, not just in your corner of the world, we’re getting it too over here. Gas(petrol), lumber, guitars, food, everything, up up up.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Prices are going up all over, not just in your corner of the world, we’re getting it too over here. Gas(petrol), lumber, guitars, food, everything, up up up.

Yeah I believe you, weird times are upon us. 

7 minutes ago, Parafin said:

Update. I just bought L-00 standard new from Gino Guitars in Italy, hope it will be here in a few days. Money is spend, I hope I will like it.

Post pics of it when it arrives.

• Like 1

You're probably not near enough to that shop to make returning it an option, but their policy is a 'no hassle' one, except for both way shipping.

My advice would be get your ear and head ready to have a new guitar tone, and an instrument that you'll hear loosen up with play time, likely years, as it acclimates, absorbing and shedding moisture while it finds it's eventual voice.  String experimentation alone will kill the 1st year.

When someone in this group buys a new guitar, we all get a little envious.

What's not to like?

Edited by jedzep

4 minutes ago, jedzep said:

You're probably not near enough to that shop to make returning it an option, but their policy is a 'no hassle' one, except for both way shipping.

My advice would be get your ear and head ready to have a new guitar tone, and an instrument that you'll hear loosen up with play time, likely years, as it acclimates, absorbing and shedding moisture while it finds it's eventual voice.  String experimentation alone will kill the 1st year.

When someone in this group buys a new guitar, we all get a little envious.

What's not to like?

I don't know to be honest, I didn't have such an expensive guitar, and it's way above my top dollar, but I really like this guitar so I would rather have one then 3 less expensive ones.

11 minutes ago, Parafin said:

I don't know to be honest, I didn't have such an expensive guitar, and it's way above my top dollar, but I really like this guitar so I would rather have one then 3 less expensive ones.

One good one should be much easier to play, and better built, and should sound better (once again better is an opinion) then 3 inexpensive ones.

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

One good one should be much easier to play, and better built, and should sound better (once again better is an opinion) then 3 inexpensive ones.

I agree, I didn't mean less expensive i less good, but Gibson as everyone thru history claims is a good guitar in every way. I will hold onto that.