Gibson Brands Forums

More Roc Docs

Sgt. Pepper

Love me a rock doc. I watched one on Ben Fong-Torres last week. I totally forgot Rolling Stone Magazine (now total joke of a music magazine) started 50 miles form where I grew up. Cameron Crowe was in it, and it seemed like he went way up above and beyond stroking Ben's ego in the doc. I just learned a while back he was married Nancy Wilson. Cam not Ben.

I'm watching one right now on the band Sparks, called The Sparks Brothers, although their real last name is Mael. I always thought they were a German group. I never heard any of their music till I started watching the doc. Their music doesn't really do much for me, but people rave about them. I remember when record stores were still around seeing the album cover of theirs with piano player guy on it holding up a puppet of his brother. It seems they were bigger in Europe there over here.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I also noticed the doc on Ben, not a big Rolling Stone fan any more but might watch for the history lesson when it was good.  I remember how he was portrayed in "Almost Famous" so no surprise Crowe still strokes him.

When I was 13 I won an album in a 'Penny Sale' by Sparks - "A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing", I thought it was so different then (1973) I loved it, actually still do.  Never heard any more until many years later when "No 1 Song in Heaven" came out - too disco for me.  Ron was always the icon in that band, even Mecca dressed up like him in his video for "Coming Up".
I did watch the doc about them and thought it was really good.

8 minutes ago, nhwildbill said:

I also noticed the doc on Ben, not a big Rolling Stone fan any more but might watch for the history lesson when it was good.  I remember how he was portrayed in "Almost Famous" so no surprise Crowe still strokes him.

When I was 13 I won an album in a 'Penny Sale' by Sparks - "A Woofer in Tweeter's Clothing", I thought it was so different then (1973) I loved it, actually still do.  Never heard any more until many years later when "No 1 Song in Heaven" came out - too disco for me.  Ron was always the icon in that band, even Mecca dressed up like him in his video for "Coming Up".
I did watch the doc about them and thought it was really good.

Yep, the Macca impersonation of Ron in his  Coming Up video gets mentioned in the Doc.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I had a friend who back in the '70's was a huge Sparks fan.  The only one among us who could stomach them.  But then too, he thought the original TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE was the greatest movie ever made!  :rolleyes:

And oh,  it did take me a few to realize who MECCA was!  [wink]  [laugh]

I at first thought it was some Middle Eastern  alt-rock band.  😜

Whitefang

24 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I had a friend who back in the '70's was a huge Sparks fan.  The only one among us who could stomach them.  But then too, he thought the original TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE was the greatest movie ever made!  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

I know Macca is Sir Paul’s nickname. Mecca is not one I know of.

5 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

I just samples a bunch of their music, and IMHO they are no better or worse than any of the synth/techno bands that do pretty much the same thing. They  pre-date Kraftwerk, as stated in the doc. That whole synth/techno era just sounds so stale and cool to me and has no soul or feeling. I guess like any artist you get them or you don't and I don't get it. They singers falsetto voice grates on me.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I finally finished the Sparks doc. Damn that was a long one. I still don't get their music, and think the singers voice is not that good. They were a band that didn't fit into any mold, and the record companies didn't know what to do with them. MTV should have made them stars, but it didn't happen for them, yet it did for clowns like Duran Duran and other New Wave/Dance/ Synth/ Electronic trash, go figure. But DD were so cute. That must me the rub. They do have a great sense of humor, and the singer dated and got to bone Jane Wiedlan of the Go-Go's.

I think I'm gonna see if the one about Scott Walker is on NF. I know nothing about him except he passed away a few years back. I think its called 30th Century Man.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

There is a 3 part Doc on Jimmy Savile (who has great hair by the way). We discussed him for a second in a different thread, it go nuked or we were told we can't post and say what Jimmy was accused of, and needed to delete those posts. Knowing what he was accused of I don't think I'll watch it. My wife said she started it and turned it off as is made her sick.

The one on Scott Walker called 30th Century Man, and is on Amazon, and you have to pay to watch it. I may just wait till its free. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Freakscene - documentary about Dinosaur Jr - probably my favourite band still out there playing live all over the world - is in US cinemas right now (I think)

Given that these guys are really dysfunctional a lot of of the time and don't ever have much to say I'm guessing it will be mainly narrator and songs rather than deep thoughts from the guys, but nonetheless they are still just awesome (IMO).  [thumbup]

45 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Freakscene - documentary about Dinosaur Jr - probably my favourite band still out there playing live all over the world - is in US cinemas right now (I think)

Given that these guys are really dysfunctional a lot of of the time and don't ever have much to say I'm guessing it will be mainly narrator and songs rather than deep thoughts from the guys, but nonetheless they are still just awesome (IMO).  [thumbup]

I saw D Jr. in '93, I think, at Lollapalooza. I remember getting Green Mind, and liking it, and then getting Where You Been and thinking it was just okay. I'll check out the doc when it come on a streaming service. I watch Roc Docs about anyone, even groups or musicians I do and don't like, just to hear what they have to say. I know J loves to play loud through a billion Marshall stacks.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 6/1/2022 at 7:54 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I saw D Jr. in '93, I think, at Lollapalooza. I remember getting Green Mind, and liking it, and then getting Where You Been and thinking it was just okay. I'll check out the doc when it come on a streaming service. I watch Roc Docs about anyone, even groups or musicians I do and don't like, just to hear what they have to say. I know J loves to play loud through a billion Marshall stacks.

That's the D Jr era I like too

11 hours ago, Pinch said:

That's the D Jr era I like too

I'm listening to Start Choppin' right now, great opening riff. When he sing really high on the line "telling you goodbye"  it was unnecessary.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 5/31/2022 at 6:53 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

There is a 3 part Doc on Jimmy Savile (who has great hair by the way). We discussed him for a second in a different thread, it go nuked or we were told we can't post and say what Jimmy was accused of, and needed to delete those posts. Knowing what he was accused of I don't think I'll watch it. My wife said she started it and turned it off as is made her sick.

The one on Scott Walker called 30th Century Man, and is on Amazon, and you have to pay to watch it. I may just wait till its free. 

I saw the two-parter on Netflix. I was hipped to the case when I bought a book on him last time I was in the UK.

The documentary isn't graphic. But quite weird. A total creep, hiding in plain sight.