Gibson Brands Forums

Exile

Sgt. Pepper

50 years and 12 days ago what many consider The Holy Grail Of Rock came out. Exile On Main St. I remember in 1981 I went to Clifton, NJ to visit my aunt, uncle and cousin over the summer. We went over to my cousins friends house one day, and my cousins friend was appalled I did not own Exile. I know I had Some Girls and Hot Rocks, and that may have been it.  Later that same year in October, I would see them live (I remember everyone saying "go see The Stones its the last time their gonna tour"). The album has never been a favorite of theirs, and I still think it needed to be trimmed to a single LP and it would have been a lot better. Happy, Dice, Rocks Off, Loving Cup, Sweet Black Angel, Sweet Virginia, Shine A Light and Soul Survivor are the songs I think are the best cuts on the album. Blah Blah Blah . . .  Its Only Rock And Roll, huh.

I bought it at a yard sale in 1980. A couple weeks later my girlfriend and her family moved to Florida. I listened to that album while snot-hanging drunk in a shizz hole apartment. Whatever memory I have of that LP is directly tied to that month. Probably not a fair assessment. 

2 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

I bought it at a yard sale in 1980. A couple weeks later my girlfriend and her family moved to Florida. I listened to that album while snot-hanging drunk in a shizz hole apartment. Whatever memory I have of that LP is directly tied to that month. Probably not a fair assessment. 

If you listen to it now, and it doesn't wow you, then I don't think it has anything to do with that month.  I think its a over hyped album that people put up on a pedestal. Is it good, sure, is it great, to some. It's like a lot of double albums, it just shouldn't have been one IMHO. I listen to it every few years and like Zeppelin - In Thought The Out Door, I remember why its only every few years.

• Like 1

I've not listened to it through for years. Though some tracks are on the ipod fixed to my old car. To be fair its the same with most old albums. I don't listen to them anymore. My taste has not changed much, its widened, but its not even that. Its more that I've heard all that stuff for so many years that I don't need to listen to it anymore. If I wanted to I can hear it in my head, but I dont want to. Its worn out.

It remains my fave stones album. Also the band doesn't have relevance to me today that it used to.  Sad but unavoidable.

Its the same for albums UmmaGumma, Hotel California, Deuce, Brothers & Sisters, 34 Hours, Harvest and many more.

There are very few old vintage albums I do still want to listen to. 'A Song For Me' 'Stoneground' and 'Dr. Sardonicus' are among the rare few. 

Actually, I didn't think the LP was all that great.  Not compared to their previous work and some after this one.

And too Evans....

I listen to old albums a lot.  Mostly because nothing much after the '90's caught my ear and taste.  And a few of my favorites from "wayback" are...

Let It Bleed(Stones)

Zeppelin 4

All three Hendrix Experience LPs

Spirit--debut LP

Wheels Of Fire--Cream

Magical Mystery Tour--The Beatles

Children Of The Future--Steve Miller

Crusade--John Mayall's Bluesbreakers

And of course, all them old Dylan LPs..[wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

9 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Actually, I didn't think the LP was all that great.  Not compared to their previous work and some after this one.

And too Evans....

I listen to old albums a lot.  Mostly because nothing much after the '90's caught my ear and taste.  And a few of my favorites from "wayback" are...

Let It Bleed(Stones)

Zeppelin 4

All three Hendrix Experience LPs

Spirit--debut LP

Wheels Of Fire--Cream

Magical Mystery Tour--The Beatles

Children Of The Future--Steve Miller

Crusade--John Mayall's Bluesbreakers

And of course, all them old Dylan LPs..[wink]

Whitefang

For me it’s Sticky Fingers, Beggars, and Some Girls. Let It Bleed is great but I’m getting tired of You Can’t Always Get What You Want. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

The track on that LP I never could stand.  

Whitefang

Gimme Shelter Is killer. Everyone loves Midnight Rambler which is killer to but, Gimme Shelter slays.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

??-----To but what?  [wink]

Whitefang

Meaning Midnight Rambler is a killer track also, but for me Gimme Shelter is the stand out track on Let It Bleed. 

The thing that always got on my nerves about The Stones was even after their first few albums they always covered tunes on albums. I know when you start out many do. But 8 albums in, 12 albums in and beyond they were still doing it. I know its petty, but I think cover tunes are when you want to give as shout to your idols when playing live. I want to hear the songs from the band I'm listening to, not other peoples. I can go dig up the original if I want to hear it, and its probably done better by the original artist. I feel the same way about The Beatles covering songs. There done well, but I want to hear their music.

I do think Jimi's Watchtower is fantastic, and is way better than Bob's (I probably never heard Bob's until 15 years ago when I bought the JWH album), and Talking Heads did a killer version of Take Me To The River, and Van Halen did a marvelous job on You're No Good. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

All down the Line, my second favorite Stones song after the live version of Midnight Rambler is from Exile. I saw them play it in 78 at the New Orleans Superdome and then again last Oct when I heard them from the parking lot of Sofi Stadium.  A lot of great songs from Exile: Rocks off,  Sweet Virginia, Tumbling (which I am now officially sick of), Happy (also getting sick of but not bad after 50 years), Soul Survivor, shine a light. Great stuff.

4 minutes ago, Tman said:

All down the Line, my second favorite Stones song after the live version of Midnight Rambler is from Exile. I saw them play it in 78 at the New Orleans Superdome and then again last Oct when I heard them from the parking lot of Sofi Stadium.  A lot of great songs from Exile: Rocks off,  Sweet Virginia, Tumbling (which I am now officially sick of), Happy (also getting sick of but not bad after 50 years), Soul Survivor, shine a light. Great stuff.

Rocks Off and Dice are my two favorite Stones songs off Exile. I do not listen to the radio and when I want to hear a song it is usually when I play the album in its entirety, like I just did yesterday when I listened to Exile all the way through. One thing is for sure I hate hate hate Rip This Joint.  I think the whole premise of the album was: we left England for France to get away from taxes, and let's let Keef rent a huge house (Nellcote), and do a lot of smack, and just see what happens. A muddily recorded Stones double album happened. 

20 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

If you're going to be the grammar police here, maybe you should know what a sentence fragment is?  Example: 

[wink] [wink] [wink] [wink] [wink] [wink] [wink] [wink] [wink]

Dig...

The "wink" emoticon is placed by me to let the person I quote know I'm just having some sport with him(or her).  That Sarge used "to" when it was clear he meant "too" was the reason for my quote and query.  And to hopefully remind him (and others) that this ISN'T FaceBook, where those kind of gaffes of third grade level English takes place a LOT.

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm a Liberal Arts Major, cut me some slack.

Then one would imagine you'd know better.  My grammar wasn't always "top notch"( and really still isn't) but got better by well meaning corrections from others I knew who were Liberal Arts majors.  [wink]

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Dig...

The "wink" emoticon is placed by me to let the person I quote know I'm just having some sport with him(or her).  That Sarge used "to" when it was clear he meant "too" was the reason for my quote and query.  And to hopefully remind him (and others) that this ISN'T FaceBook, where those kind of gaffes of third grade level English takes place a LOT.

Then one would imagine you'd know better.  My grammar wasn't always "top notch"( and really still isn't) but got better by well meaning corrections from others I knew who were Liberal Arts majors.  [wink]

Whitefang

If I was an English Major sure. I took a bunch of music and biology and electronics classes and got my degree. So if you want to solve a problem that requires Ohm’s Law I’m here for you. Where and how to properly use a semicolon, Well I’m not.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

so... is it ok if I confess here that I've never owned a stones ablum, have no stones tunes on any playlists, or iTunes,

Nay!

dare I say  I don't even like the band, and never have?

Makes me wonder,,

am I an outcast ? 

a complete miss fit? 

a abject failure? 

should I leave the planet?

41 minutes ago, kidblast said:

so... is it ok if I confess here that I've never owned a stones ablum, have no stones tunes on any playlists, or iTunes,

Nay!

dare I say  I don't even like the band, and never have?

Makes me wonder,,

am I an outcast ? 

a complete miss fit? 

a abject failure? 

should I leave the planet?

No it just means your not a Stones fan. Your probably better off, as they haven't made a good album since Some Girls, which came out in '78, IMHO.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

25 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

No it just means your not a Stones fan. Your probably better off, as they haven't made a good album since Some Girls, which came out in '78, IMHO.

!LOL!   Just never really had much of a thing for much of what they did.  

then there's this

6 minutes ago, kidblast said:

!LOL!   Just never really had much of a thing for much of what they did.  

then there's this

Saw that tour. That was the end of buying Stones albums for me. It was a half baked album to give them an excuse to tour again.  Micks shtick is old and tired and outdated. He no longer (even though he is Jagger) has the moves like Jagger. It hasn't happened yet, but one day he is gonna break a hip prancing around like he's 25, when he's really 78. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Saw that tour. That was the end of buying Stones albums for me. It was a half baked album to give them an excuse to tour again.  Micks shtick is old and tired and outdated. He no longer (even though he is Jagger) has the moves like Jagger. It hasn't happened yet, but one day he is gonna break a hip prancing around like he's 25, when he's really 78. 

don't want to hijack the thread,   I'm sure I'm in the vast minority of people who just don't like the band,

so I'll step aside..

6 minutes ago, kidblast said:

don't want to hijack the thread,   I'm sure I'm in the vast minority of people who just don't like the band,

so I'll step aside..

You can hijack away. It what makes this place what it is. IMHO The Stones were at their best when Mick Taylor was in the band. I think getting so famous so fast and being thrust into the limelight at what is, and prolly still is THE worlds biggest band, was to much for him. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I mentioned in a different thread, I'm not really a fan either so I guess I'm in that minority.  I like a few of their songs here and there.   Here is an example, I think this is just a nice sounding track.  

I think that track is off the Steel Wheels album, aka Steel Wheel Chairs album.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 hours ago, kidblast said:

so I'll step aside..

I figure music is like wine, what is good to you is good to you. Good to me you may like like. A lot of it is your history with whatever music you consider. Stones music was the first I played in a band (many reasons but ease of playing was a biggie). A rare band can write that many songs and have a lot be decent for so many years. Like wine, it's personal.