Gibson Brands Forums

Exile

Sgt. Pepper

6 hours ago, Tman said:

I figure music is like wine, what is good to you is good to you. Good to me you may like like. A lot of it is your history with whatever music you consider. Stones music was the first I played in a band (many reasons but ease of playing was a biggie). A rare band can write that many songs and have a lot be decent for so many years. Like wine, it's personal. 

True,  and I was in cover bands for many years where we did our share of Stones tunes over those years, 

kind of had to play what the ppl want to hear right?

But..

didn't have to like it!  !LOL!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You can hijack away. It what makes this place what it is. IMHO The Stones were at their best when Mick Taylor was in the band. I think getting so famous so fast and being thrust into the limelight at what is, and prolly still is THE worlds biggest band, was to much for him. 

If you're talking about Mick Taylor, I found this...

In November 1973, Taylor underwent surgery for acute sinusitis and missed some of the sessions when the band began working on the LP It's Only Rock 'n Roll at Musicland Studios in Munich.[12] Not much was achieved during the first ten days at Musicland, but most of the actual recordings were made there in January 1974, and in April at Stargroves, Jagger's estate in Hampshire. When Taylor resumed work with the band, he found it difficult to get along with Richards.[citation needed]

Not long after those recording sessions, Taylor went on a six-week expedition to Brazil, to travel down the Amazon River in a boat and explore Latin music. Just before the release of the album in October 1974, Taylor told Nick Kent from the NME about the new LP and that he had co-written "Till the Next Goodbye" and "Time Waits for No One" with Jagger.[citation needed] Kent told Taylor he had seen the finished artwork for the sleeve, which revealed the absence of any songwriting credits for Taylor.[13]

"I was a bit peeved about not getting credit for a couple of songs, but that wasn't the whole reason [I left the band]. I guess I just felt like I had enough. I decided to leave and start a group with Jack Bruce. I never really felt, and I don't know why, but I never felt I was gonna stay with the Stones forever, even right from the beginning."

— Mick Taylor, in an interview with Gary James,
8 hours ago, Tman said:

I figure music is like wine, what is good to you is good to you. Good to me you may like like. A lot of it is your history with whatever music you consider. Stones music was the first I played in a band (many reasons but ease of playing was a biggie). A rare band can write that many songs and have a lot be decent for so many years. Like wine, it's personal. 

As wine supposedly gets better with age the analogy doesn't work for the Stones as IMHO,  by the '80's they started turning to vinegar.  "Start Me Up" was the only tue from that period I liked, and the last one I can think of that still had that Stones "vibe".

19 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I mentioned in a different thread, I'm not really a fan either so I guess I'm in that minority.  I like a few of their songs here and there.   Here is an example, I think this is just a nice sounding track.  

Know what you mean.  I'm the same with a few of the "big ones" everybody else seemed to go nuts over.  With the Stones, you could say I was a fan, but not really a BIG fan.  But "Tell Me"  still holds a lot of sentimental value with me.  

Man, those early photos are a hoot!  [cool]

Whitefang

For me if we go back to the beginning of their recorded catalog, nothing till Beggar's gets my attention. The hits are great. Satanic was just a mess. Hey, The Beatles made a psychedelic album, we can too. No . . .  No you really couldn't, and missed the mark even standing 5 feet from the target with that train wreck. Beggars was nuts. The song Dear Doctor is killer. From start to finish its top notch. Then Let It Bleed, then Sticky Fingers then Exile . . .

On 5/25/2022 at 1:29 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

...and Talking Heads did a killer version of Take Me To The River....

It IS killer.  But I have to listen to Al Green's, too.  I love them both.

When I was in college, Al Green on late-night AOR was prime make-out music.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Natural said:

It IS killer.  But I have to listen to Al Green's, too.  I love them both.

When I was in college, Al Green on late-night AOR was prime make-out music.

Yeah not saying they are better than the originals. Just those are the ones I really like as covers. Al did have a way with the ladies until he went to far, and got a pot of hot grits dumped on his back in the shower.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

And it's all subjective.  For instance, NOTHING Talking Heads ever did appealed to me.  Byrne  was probably the most pretentious jerk wad in modern music.  I understand at some round table discussion somewhere, it was all some of the others could do to keep Stephen Stills restrained so he wouldn't slap the snot out of him(for some reason).   Something about Byrne claiming Talking Heads was the first band to introduce African rhythms into modern "white" rock music.  :rolleyes:  As to covers...

There are some that do exceed the originals, and others that fall way short of being worth the bother to listen to.  Along with the number of people who do and do not care for them.  And then the few that are equally as good.

Whitefang

20 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

And it's all subjective.  For instance, NOTHING Talking Heads ever did appealed to me.  Byrne  was probably the most pretentious jerk wad in modern music.  I understand at some round table discussion somewhere, it was all some of the others could do to keep Stephen Stills restrained so he wouldn't slap the snot out of him(for some reason).   Something about Byrne claiming Talking Heads was the first band to introduce African rhythms into modern "white" rock music.  :rolleyes:  As to covers...

There are some that do exceed the originals, and others that fall way short of being worth the bother to listen to.  Along with the number of people who do and do not care for them.  And then the few that are equally as good.

Whitefang

Yep you either like the song/group/album or you don’t. It’s as simple as that. I never heard a story where Stills wanted to slap David Byrne, sure it’s not David Crosby he wanted to slap?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

for me....Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, and Sticky Fingers - I can very happily listen to those right through.  The Stones just rocking out without needing to be technically brilliant, just putting down a great array of different kinds of rock and blues songs.

Everything before and after those, I'd happily sit in the "I don't mind the Stones, they have a few good tunes, but I'm not that into them" camp, but for those 3 albums I consider them up there with the best. [thumbup]

• Like 1

Sure.  As big a Dylan freak I claim to be I didn't like EVERY album or tune he put out.  Same with every band I more or less like.  More of the subjective thing.  Your favorite Stones album might be one that somebody else just can't stand(and vice-versa).   There's no real right or wrong here.

Whitefang

10 hours ago, 'Scales said:

for me....Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, and Sticky Fingers - I can very happily listen to those right through.  The Stones just rocking out without needing to be technically brilliant, just putting down a great array of different kinds of rock and blues songs.

Everything before and after those, I'd happily sit in the "I don't mind the Stones, they have a few good tunes, but I'm not that into them" camp, but for those 3 albums I consider them up there with the best. [thumbup]

BB, LIB and SF are the ones I listen to the most. I do like Some Girls, as it was so rauncy, and at 12 when I got it, hearing Mick sing,  Black girls just wanna get f'ed all night, I just don't have that much jam, took me to a world of music my parents never knew existed. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

42 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

Sure.  As big a Dylan freak I claim to be I didn't like EVERY album or tune he put out.  Same with every band I more or less like.  More of the subjective thing.  Your favorite Stones album might be one that somebody else just can't stand(and vice-versa).   There's no real right or wrong here.

Whitefang

Same with me for The Beatles and Zappa. I don't think every note, chord, lyric and vocal on their albums is pure genius. There are lots of times I would have liked to have been in the studio with them and said "I'm just a fan, and I know this is your album, but that song or part of the song is awful". That last long song on Freak Out! called Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet is 12 minuets of wasted vinyl, And WTF was Lumpy Gravy, two guys talking about pigs and ponies and fixing up there cars with awful music in the background. I hate the song Hey Jude, its a short song and then 5 minuets of nah nah nah nah nah nah nah. I hope I got the number of nah's right. Any one hear You Know My Name (Look Up The Number), once you did, you will have wished you hadn't. Brian Jones of The Stones is a guest on You Know My Name.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I just don't have that much jam, took me to a world of music my parents never knew existed. 

Depends on how old your parents were when you were born.   If you're their firstborn or an only child they were probably well aware of the Stones by '78 when "Some Girls" was unfortunately  released.  [wink]

And by then profanity in rock recordings was kind of "old hat" and no big surprise. 

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Same with me for The Beatles and Zappa. I don't think every note, chord, lyric and vocal on their albums is pure genius. There are lots of times I would have liked to have been in the studio with them and said "I'm just a fan, and I know this is your album, but that song or part of the song is awful". That last long song on Freak Out! called Return Of The Son Of Monster Magnet is 12 minuets of wasted vinyl, And WTF was Lumpy Gravy, two guys talking about pigs and ponies and fixing up there cars with awful music in the background. I hate the song Hey Jude, its a short song and then 5 minuets of nah nah nah nah nah nah nah. I hope I got the number of nah's right. Any one hear You Know My Name (Look Up The Number), once you did, you will have wished you hadn't. Brian Jones of The Stones is a guest on You Know My Name.

Sure, "Hey Jude" was kind of tiresome.   Plus, by the late '60's long songs were "all the rage" but true, not all of them worked for me.  For me, the Dylan "freak",  "Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands" is a track on "Blonde On Blonde" I always hit the "stop" button (or the lift lever if playing the vinyl) on.    And by the way (and I couldn't resist...)

"Monster Magnet" is not a "minuet",  let alone 12 of them.  [wink]  To whit-----

TOLD you I couldn't resist!  😜

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

Sure, "Hey Jude" was kind of tiresome.   Plus, by the late '60's long songs were "all the rage" but true, not all of them worked for me.  For me, the Dylan "freak",  "Sad Eyed Lady Of The Lowlands" is a track on "Blonde On Blonde" I always hit the "stop" button (or the lift lever if playing the vinyl) on.    And by the way (and I couldn't resist...)

I know your a huge Dylan fan and like Exile, I don't get the Blonde On Blonde worshipers. I never want to hear Rainy Day Woman ever again. I put that album on like Exile and try to like it, but I just don't. I do like Sad Eyed Lady though. I believe I read somewhere that George used that song for his inspiration on Long, Long, Long.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The band I enjoy hearing do covers is Santana.  They have done some great ones over the years, usually taking a three-minute hit song and stretching it out a little with a great guitar solo and some added percussion.  Just one example is "She's Not There", which I find a lot more entertaining than the original.

9 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

The band I enjoy hearing do covers is Santana.  They have done some great ones over the years, usually taking a three-minute hit song and stretching it out a little with a great guitar solo and some added percussion.  Just one example is "She's Not There", which I find a lot more entertaining than the original.

The Tito Puente song he did is on point. Was it Oye Como Va?

I saw Santana twice.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I know your a huge Dylan fan and like Exile, I don't get the Blonde On Blonde worshipers. I never want to hear Rainy Day Woman ever again. I put that album on like Exile and try to like it, but I just don't. I do like Sad Eyed Lady though. I believe I read somewhere that George used that song for his inspiration on Long, Long, Long.

It's not that I "worship" Blonde On blonde.  But it is a good LP.  Certainly, like most other LPs, not every track is a gem.  While I don't mind "Rainy Day Women",  It's "One Of Us Must Know(Sooner Or Later)" I usually skip past.  And then there's that "4th Time Around" and The Beatle's "Norwegian Wood" thing.  [wink]  Recall?

"4th Time Around" was commonly speculated to be a response to the Beatles' song "Norwegian Wood" – written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney for the 1965 album Rubber Soul – as the two tracks share a reasonably similar melody, lyrical premise, and 3/4 time signature. "4th Time Around" has been seen as either a playful homage, or a satirical warning to Lennon about co-opting Dylan's well-known songwriting devices. Lennon expressed a range of opinions on this topic in interviews between 1966 and 1980. Initially, he felt it to be a somewhat pointed parody of "Norwegian Wood", due particularly to the final line of "4th Time Around" ("I never asked for your crutch / Now don't ask for mine.") which played into his apparent paranoia about Dylan in 1966–67 because he interpreted it as a warning not to use Dylan's songs as a "crutch" for his own songwriting.[1] Later, however, he changed his opinion on the track to become more favourable when he considered Dylan's effort to be more a playful homage. This shift can be seen when he was asked about his opinion on the track in a 1968 Rolling Stone Magazine interview, in which he stated:

"I was very paranoid about that. I remember he played it to me when he was in London. He said, what do you think? I said, I don’t like it. I didn’t like it. I was very paranoid. I just didn’t like what I felt I was feeling – I thought it was an out and out skit, you know, but it wasn’t. It was great. I mean he wasn’t playing any tricks on me. I was just going through the bit."[2]

Whitefang

20 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

It's not that I "worship" Blonde On blonde.  But it is a good LP.  Certainly, like most other LPs, not every track is a gem.  While I don't mind "Rainy Day Women",  It's "One Of Us Must Know(Sooner Or Later)" I usually skip past.  And then there's that "4th Time Around" and The Beatle's "Norwegian Wood" thing.  [wink]  Recall?

"4th Time Around" was commonly speculated to be a response to the Beatles' song "Norwegian Wood" – written by John Lennon and Paul McCartney for the 1965 album Rubber Soul – as the two tracks share a reasonably similar melody, lyrical premise, and 3/4 time signature. "4th Time Around" has been seen as either a playful homage, or a satirical warning to Lennon about co-opting Dylan's well-known songwriting devices. Lennon expressed a range of opinions on this topic in interviews between 1966 and 1980. Initially, he felt it to be a somewhat pointed parody of "Norwegian Wood", due particularly to the final line of "4th Time Around" ("I never asked for your crutch / Now don't ask for mine.") which played into his apparent paranoia about Dylan in 1966–67 because he interpreted it as a warning not to use Dylan's songs as a "crutch" for his own songwriting.[1] Later, however, he changed his opinion on the track to become more favourable when he considered Dylan's effort to be more a playful homage. This shift can be seen when he was asked about his opinion on the track in a 1968 Rolling Stone Magazine interview, in which he stated:

"I was very paranoid about that. I remember he played it to me when he was in London. He said, what do you think? I said, I don’t like it. I didn’t like it. I was very paranoid. I just didn’t like what I felt I was feeling – I thought it was an out and out skit, you know, but it wasn’t. It was great. I mean he wasn’t playing any tricks on me. I was just going through the bit."[2]

Whitefang

For me I gravitate to Blood On The Tracks, John Wesley Harding, Highway 61 and Bringing It All  Back Home. The 4 albums before Back Home, I like but not love. Skyline is good, but different. Self Portrait was just down right terrible. Planet Waves is interesting. From the album Desire, and on I really don't care much about. I just don't get Street Legal, and the first religious one with Serve Somebody is not too bad, plus Mark is the guitarist on that. After that I never paid attention to him ever again. I have seen him 3 times. Once with that Dylan/Dead Tour. I don't regret seeing Bob, but every time I saw him he got significantly worse, and mumbled more that the last time I saw him.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1