Gibson Brands Forums

New SJ-200 Standard came with a 4-bar mustache bridge

Steve Kalisher

I bought a new SJ-200 Standard in April 2022 in wine red. It’s been very difficult to find brand new ones these days but I was fortunate to locate a music store that had 2 left and luckily got mine.  It appears to have been manufactured in 2020 as the serial # starts with ‘20’. From everything I’ve seen and read about the SJ-200 Standard , it comes with a beautiful 2-bar mustache bridge, yet mine arrived with a 4-bar mustache bridge just like the SJ-200 Original. I assure you it’s a Standard.  I’m not complaining as the 4-bar is quite beautiful, but wonder if anyone else has ever seen the Standard with a 4-bar mustache bridge or is mine just a happy mistake by the folks in Bozeman, Montana??

Thanks for the serial # info. Using 1st and 5th, it is indeed a 2022 so it’s good to know that my new Gibson wasn’t sitting in a storage warehouse for 2 years.  As far as the photos go, the Gibson site is still showing the Standard with the 2 bar and the Original with the 4 bar. I’m waiting for Gibson to reply to my inquiry.  

Congrats Steve on your new SJ200.  I love my 2004, 4 bar mustache!    Curious what exactly you're asking Bozeman?    Wine color indicates it's a Standard, as you said. Did the other one in the store have a 2 bar or a 4 bar?  Bozeman is (in)famous for occasionally mixing up the specs on individual guitars.     Some view these anomalies are part of Gibson's charm.  Others think they indicate a QC failing.    Since you got to see it before you bought it, I guess I'm just curious what your asking Bozeman?   Enjoy - like getting a new car, only better now that gas has doubled in price !

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

Just recently when there was a question about tuners somebody posted Bozeman's standard disclaimer regarding their reserving the right to change specs without notice.  

You mean this? That is on every page where it talks about the specs of the guitar on Gibson's site.

In order to continually improve the design, quality and performance of our products and instruments and to make use of the best materials at all times, Gibson reserves the right to change specifications without notice.

It's basically the we can do what we want, cause we build 'em clause.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper