Gibson Brands Forums

"Shady Grove" Grisman / Garcia... Out Of Print

Murph

The 1996 release doesn't show up on David's "Acoustic Disc" label for sale. You can download it, but I wanted a c.d. 

I originally was going to buy it for a friend, however....

The one I just got from ebay is MINT, has the booklet and the cover and I just can't let it go. I'm going to have to keep it and get the friend something else.

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Yea, I have to get as much in as possible before I forget....

this is good to know,  cuz I'm yer age, so.. yea..

10 minutes ago, kwalker201 said:

When me, myself and I go to a party, Im wondering who will get kicked out first!

but how do the others get home?

2 hours ago, Murph said:

The 1996 release doesn't show up on David's "Acoustic Disc" label for sale. You can download it, but I wanted a c.d. 

I had never heard of that album before but it looks cool - I'm a big fan of Jerry's acoustic work. I don't buy physical media anymore but see that Amazon lists 16 used, 2 new and one collectible CD ranging in price from about $20 to $50. Also an LP album for $500. 😮 Or you can stream for free with Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Shady-Grove-JERRY-GRISMAN-GARCIA/dp/B00000391J

Edited by Boyd

41 minutes ago, Boyd said:

I had never heard of that album before but it looks cool - I'm a big fan of Jerry's acoustic work. I don't buy physical media anymore but see that Amazon lists 16 used, 2 new and one collectible CD ranging in price from about $20 to $50. Also an LP album for $500. 😮 Or you can stream for free with Prime.

https://www.amazon.com/Shady-Grove-JERRY-GRISMAN-GARCIA/dp/B00000391J

OR, as an alternative to AMAZON -  you can use SPOTIFY.......

Get him the CD of The Grateful Dead at Cornell in '77. Its a killer show. Man I miss seeing the real Dead. Red Rocks '78 is killer to. People think the guys in The Dead were just guys who noodled around on their gear. Nope Bob Weir is an inversion chord master. 

21 hours ago, Boyd said:

Did you miss the part where I bought it and decided to keep it?

From ebay.

I don't do Amazon.

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Get him the CD of The Grateful Dead at Cornell in '77. Its a killer show. Man I miss seeing the real Dead. Red Rocks '78 is killer to. People think the guys in The Dead were just guys who noodled around on their gear. Nope Bob Weir is an inversion chord master. 

I think I'm just gonna do the Cracker Barrel gift card.

Everybody eats, eh?

What I thought was odd, was that it was not in stock.

David Grisman owns the label. I would think he would simply re-order from his manufacturer when things sold out, even if in small numbers.

I realize the number of people who buy physical media has shrunk, but it would be this age group/genre that would be among those who still do.

I would think.

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Did you miss the part where I bought it and decided to keep it?

From ebay.

I don't do Amazon.

I didn't miss that. Just thought I'd suggest a way to get the CD for your friend. Next time I won't bother. I rarely "do Amazon" myself, that just came up in a search. But I definitely don't do eBay. 

Had to 'google' Grisman.   Reminded he was a member of The Even Dozen Jug Band.  Probably my most played 33  1/3rd RPMer back in the mid-60s.  Nearly every member went on, after their one and only album, to become notable in music.  Wish I still had that album.  And my 1950s TOPPS baseball cards...   

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

Had to 'google' Grisman.   Reminded he was a member of The Even Dozen Jug Band.  Probably my most played 33  1/3rd RPMer back in the mid-60s.  Nearly every member went on, after their one and only album, to become notable in music.  Wish I still had that album.  And my 1950s TOPPS baseball cards...   

I think his work with Jerry Garcia should be treasured by all acoustic players.

It's so different than his "Dawg" music, and yet so good.

Mighty fine.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Murph said:

What I thought was odd, was that it was not in stock.

David Grisman owns the label. I would think he would simply re-order from his manufacturer when things sold out, even if in small numbers.

I realize the number of people who buy physical media has shrunk, but it would be this age group/genre that would be among those who still do.

I would think.

He may own the label, but does he own the rights to his music? Many musicians don't. Remember when Paul and MJ when at it over the Beatles Catalog ,and MJ had more $ at the time and bought the rights to The Fab 4's music. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

13 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

He may own the label .but does he own the rights to his music? Many musicians don't Remember when Paul and MJ when at it over the Beatles Catalog ,and MJ had more $ at the time and bought the rights to The Fab 4's music. 

Actually, that particular album is a bunch of old standards that "might" fall into public domain.

But, you may have a point.