Gibson Brands Forums

Ticket Prices

Sgt. Pepper

On 7/26/2022 at 6:03 AM, 'Scales said:

Gibson fans: “$4000 for concert tickets…wtf is wrong with people? [rolleyes]

Bruce fans: “$4000 for a few pound of painted timber with some metal and plastic bits attached…wtf is wrong with people? [rolleyes]

perspective [biggrin]

When I think that tickets for my first concert(Hendrix in '68) cost me only $4.00 it makes me sick to see what old men, no longer relevant to what's going on in music today are charging for tickets.   Sure, McCartney and Springsteen are "legends",  and have made millions of people happy with their music.  And made millions of dollars over the course of their careers doing so.  And they should realize that their long time fans, most of whom are the same age or close to it, are living on just adequate pension, some on inadequate pensions and otherwise on fixed incomes which prohibits them from being able to shell out $7,000 or even half of that for a concert ticket.  Loyalty to the fans?   Or to just the "Green Goddess"? 

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

16 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

When I think that tickets for my first concert(Hendrix in '68) cost me only $4.00 it makes me sick to see what old men, no longer relevant to what's going on in music today are charging for tickets.   Sure, McCartney and Springsteen are "legends",  and have made millions of people happy with their music.  And made millions of dollars over the course of their careers doing so.  And they should realize that their long time fans, most of whom are the same age or close to it, are living on just adequate pension, some on inadequate pensions and otherwise on fixed incomes which prohibits them from being able to shell out $7,000 or even half of that for a concert ticket.  Loyalty to the fans?   Or to just the "Green Goddess"? 

Whitefang

Yep, totally agree. If you want to shell out, and have $4000 disposable income to see Bruuuuuuuuuuuce, go spend it and while your at it buy a Murphy aged LP too. I hope the arena's will be half full, they  wont, but one can hope.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

I'm not justifying these prices. But in some ways isn't it just the market dictating this? Sure, Bruce, Paul, The Stones. Whoever. Could sell their tickets for say $100. They would sell out immediately. Many of those original buyers would see all the demand and end up selling theirs and soon enough the prices on secondary market are about where they are now. With all that profit going to the re-sellers. Of course I'm no economist or financial expert, so I'm ready to be corrected. I'm just kinda playing devils advocate I guess.  

I read some time back that Billy Joel doesn't sell the front row seats to his concerts. He has his roadies got through the venues and find the folks w/the worst seats and give them to them. Said he's tires of seeing bored, rich white people in front of him during his shows and wants his real fans to sit there...

22 hours ago, Cabarone said:

I read some time back that Billy Joel doesn't sell the front row seats to his concerts. He has his roadies got through the venues and find the folks w/the worst seats and give them to them. Said he's tires of seeing bored, rich white people in front of him during his shows and wants his real fans to sit there...

What a nice rich white person Billy is. Actually watch the documentary Hired Gun, and you will probably change your mind about Billy. Good let all the ones who are willing who to spend 4k on ticket spend it, that will make their hero Bruuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuce just that much richer. You earned a 4 thousand dollar night out to a concert/political rally.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

Political rally.  Heh.  Glad to say I've never been subject to that at any concerts I've attended. And that was during the late '60's and early '70's when political sentiments on both sides were roiling.   And Jerry Rubin being sneaked out of Chicago by the MC5 in the middle of the trials to blather at the Grande Ballroom doesn't count.  :rolleyes:

Whitefang

22 hours ago, Cabarone said:

Aren't bored rich white people his fanbase? 

Not that I know what I'm talking about. I'm sure I've heard a Billy Joel song, only not consciously.