Gibson Brands Forums

Authenticity of Gibsons

Jason H

Hey there, I’ll b very honest, I’ve bought a les Paul custom re issue and was basically after some info on telling whether it is a fake or not. I wouldn’t know s$&t from clay as to its authenticity. I’ve done a little research and so far so good as to some little things. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can provide pics and serial number if necessary. Cheers

Hello and welcome

Pics will definitely tell us but you need to upload them to an image hosting site - imgur, postimage, etc - then copy and paste the 'direct link'  and they will show in your posts.

Where did you buy it - shop or private sale?  If it cost 4 figures it's more likely to be real than if it cost 3!!

Best wishes.

1 hour ago, jdgm said:

Hello and welcome

Pics will definitely tell us but you need to upload them to an image hosting site - imgur, postimage, etc - then copy and paste the 'direct link'  and they will show in your posts.

Where did you buy it - shop or private sale?  If it cost 4 figures it's more likely to be real than if it cost 3!!

Best wishes.

Thanks for the reply n your positivity.  To be quite honest, it was just in the fours lol. Just. Au dollar. Will definitely try n upload some pics through your advice on how to. Can tell you the serial number is 00170423. Stamped clearly.  But not lightly. Once again thanks for the reply

46 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Jason,

I'm a little unclear on the concept.

Wouldn't the time to authenticate a purchase be before making it?

And if it turns out that the instrument is indeed counterfeit, can you return it for a complete refund?

RBSinTo

Hey, to be quite honest I really wouldn’t care that much if it wasn’t authentic. Totally agree the best time for what I’m asking is before the purchase. It is the same looking guitar as my childhood dream so it’s a win win for myself. If it turns out to be an actually reissue from 2000, then bonus for me. Serial number is 00170423

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

Jason,

I'm a little unclear on the concept.

Wouldn't the time to authenticate a purchase be before making it?

And if it turns out that the instrument is indeed counterfeit, can you return it for a complete refund?

RBSinTo

I'm a little unclear on your concept.  Wouldn't the people to insult be your family or friends, before you come on here and start insulting new members?  And if it turns out your comment is inappropriate, can't we return it for a complete refund?

JonnyNameAtBottomOfPost

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

This repeated qualifying 'verbal tee-up' can be an indication of deception.   Not saying that's the case but it's a phrase to avoid (especially repeatedly) because it makes some people question your authenticity.  Why would we expect you to be anything but honest?  

No need to snap 

13 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

If you post some pix, we can help you figure out if it's genuine.  There's plenty of guys on here willing to help.

Thanks for that. I’m kinda learning there is a few that aren’t willing to help. Anyways, I’m still trying to upload pics but can’t seem to minimise them to the size required to post them. I’m just a dumb coolroom builder lol

2 hours ago, Jason H said:

Hey there, I’ll b very honest, I’ve bought a les Paul custom re issue and was basically after some info on telling whether it is a fake or not. I wouldn’t know s$&t from clay as to its authenticity. I’ve done a little research and so far so good as to some little things. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Can provide pics and serial number if necessary. Cheers

'Can provide pics and serial number if necessary.'     More info would be necessary than what you originally posted.  But, for starters, how many screws does the TRC have ?

1 minute ago, fortyearspickn said:

'Can provide pics and serial number if necessary.'     More info would be necessary than what you originally posted.  But, for starters, how many screws does the TRC have ?

Ha ha I’m not even sure wat the tech is. Wat I can say is though, from a lil research is the les Paul custom badge on front of headstock only has 2 screws. One on top n one at bottom. Thanks for reply

Just now, Jason H said:

Ha ha I’m not even sure wat the tech is. Wat I can say is though, from a lil research is the les Paul custom badge on front of headstock only has 2 screws. One on top n one at bottom. Thanks for reply

TRC not tech. Stupid autocorrect 

3 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Who snapped?  I know a little bit about body language and verbal deception.  Just sharing what I have learned; take it or leave it. 

https://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303802904579332751950927282.html

Mate, body language? You havnt even seen me. Verbal deception? You don’t even know me. Why would I join a forum to be deceitful? I’m only trying to find out what I may have. Sorry to inconvenience your thoughts and time. Once again I’m sorry but it’s people like yourself that make it hard for people like myself to become involved with forums.  If you look at other peoples responses my friend, you will see what nice people say. I feel sorry for u actually. Cheers for making this experience, well ****.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jason H said:

Mate, body language? You havnt even seen me. Verbal deception? You don’t even know me. Why would I join a forum to be deceitful? I’m only trying to find out what I may have. Sorry to inconvenience your thoughts and time. Once again I’m sorry but it’s people like yourself that make it hard for people like myself to become involved with forums.  If you look at other peoples responses my friend, you will see what nice people say. I feel sorry for u actually. Cheers for making this experience, well ****.

By the way, I’ll leave it

1 minute ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Egad just pointing out something (that is well documented by people other than me) you might not be aware of.  Don't care if you go through life with people rolling their eyes behind your back.  All the best. 

All the best now.? Righto

1 minute ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Nor have I seen your guitar, but to be completely honest?  It's fake fake fake.  Smells like fried rice.  Enjoy it. 

Far out you must hate your life and thats why your so synical of others. God bless ya

7 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Nor have I seen your guitar, but to be completely honest?  It's fake fake fake.  Smells like fried rice.  Enjoy it. 

Man, back off. The guy came here looking for advice, not to be attacked. 

• Like 6