Gibson Brands Forums

What’s your plectrum of choice?

Hype

On 9/23/2022 at 1:25 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

By bigger I meant thickness. I should have stated that Merc.

I suppose you reach a point where the increased thickness would simply break rather than flex. 

Most of the time I think a flexing pick sounds better, and I wouldn't recommend thick picks to anyone that doesn't really need them.

Jazz III for me; I like trying out the variations in materials (tortex, ultex, etc) but the standard red or black nylon ones have the least pick noise and just seem livelier though I should try some of the more recent variations.   I've tried different woods, metal/aluminium, agate, brass, perspex as well - all of them have pros and cons IMO.  I got a couple of V-picks, same shape as m-e has and also a Stiletto; I have periods of using these but they have that clicky, glassy pick noise and I always go back to the Jazz IIIs.  Still have an old sixpence too but it's a bit round!

Size - get on better with a small pick, always have.  I'm a fairly strict alternate up-and-down picker.  I used to like small spade-shaped ones (1980s, had a marijuana leaf on them)  and I've also tried all manner of thumbpicks but it just doesn't work for me. 

🎸🤏

Edited by jdgm

4 hours ago, jdgm said:

Jazz III for me; I like trying out the variations in materials (tortex, ultex, etc) but the standard red or black nylon ones have the least pick noise and just seem livelier though I should try some of the more recent variations.   I've tried different woods, metal/aluminium, agate, brass, perspex as well - all of them have pros and cons IMO.  I got a couple of V-picks, same shape as m-e has and also a Stiletto; I have periods of using these but they have that clicky, glassy pick noise and I always go back to the Jazz IIIs.  Still have an old sixpence too but it's a bit round!

Size - get on better with a small pick, always have.  I'm a fairly strict alternate up-and-down picker.  I used to like small spade-shaped ones (1980s, had a marijuana leaf on them)  and I've also tried all manner of thumbpicks but it just doesn't work for me. 

🎸🤏

The Jazz III is what I like as well. Tortex, nylon, whatever. They’re easy to play and they last a long time 

I’ve seen a variety of really expensive picks and I haven’t tried them but I don’t think that’s for me. I lose picks a lot anyways 

12 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

The Jazz III is what I like as well. Tortex, nylon, whatever. They’re easy to play and they last a long time 

I’ve seen a variety of really expensive picks and I haven’t tried them but I don’t think that’s for me. I lose picks a lot anyways 

Seems many on here like the Jazz III’s. Most likely due to shape it seems. You use Jazz III’s for mostly lead? Or for rhythm as well?

Edited by Hype

2 hours ago, Bluesnik said:

Does anyone here know the difference between Tortex and Tortex Flow picks? Is it a question of shape?

I believe it’s just the shape difference. The Flows look and feel more matted if I recall..

i really like the Dunlop Tortex Jazz III 1.14mm