Gibson Brands Forums

New Southern Jumbo ridge in back center seam

JRBC

Hello, I am new to the forum but not guitars, I've been playing just shy of 30 years.  I purchased my first Gibson(s) this summer and ran into the same issue with both, I'm hoping someone has input.  Issue:  visible ridge in back center seam that I can feel with my fingernail in at least 1/3 of the seam.  So shiny the pics are difficult to capture for forum.

I sent back the first purchase which was the 60s wine red j45 (neck too thick as well).  Replaced it with a Southern Jumbo and I love the sound but not the ridge.  
Facts: Luthier says it's ok (emphasizing the internal wood strip running length of seam but that's cold comfort on a new guitar.  I'm within return period with store.  
Questions are:

1- should I return and replace it when back in stock? 2- will it affect resale if I decided to pass it on?

*still trying to photograph it, the reflection is terrible.

thank you for your input!

First thing is, there is a difference between moisture in the wood and what your hygrometer is telling you about the ambient air around or even inside the guitar. 

I am guessing though your "problem" is not a structural issue.  As noted, the back seam is not only fully cleated but anchored by two blocks of mahogany at either end.  If your SJ is one of those which has the narrow ebony strip between the two back halves it could be something like the two different woods reacting differently to their environment. It also could be the lacquer sinking much like some of the posts we have seen here regarding concerns about the wings on the headstock. 

But as always you should take any long distance diagnosis with a grain of salt.  But in the end if you are unsure of or are unhappy with the guitar just return the thing.

Edited by zombywoof

7 hours ago, JRBC said:

Interesting you mention that as the humidity in the case read really high as soon as I got it.

Not sure where you bought it but some of these big box stores keep the guitars in warehouses where they could be subjected to humidity and temperature variations.

Based on personal experiences, I feel that new Gibson guitars are humidity/temperature sensitive the first few years.  I try to keep them at a moderate temperature and the humidity at 45% during the winter and 50% during the summer. Two years ago, I got one of the new 1942 SJ Banner with the aged top. This was the first Gibson aged (that wasn't done naturally) top for me. I kept a close eye on it. I noticed a small surface finish split starting around the pickguard during the winter. I then kept an eye on the humidity, and it was varying between 40-45%. I set the humidifier to 50% and the room stayed between 45-50%. The split disappeared.  I'm hoping the finish will settled down after this year.

• Like 1

JRBC, I know exactly what you're talking about.

I tried out several slope shouldered Gibsons over the past few months, and quite a few of them had what you describe.

Some on the front and some on the back.

Most recently, I tried out three brand new sunburst 50s J45s, and two of them had a back seem that I could easily feel.

Luckily, I found one that was free of flaws, and played and sounded great.

For what it's worth, I'm in Canada -- and these guitars were at stores that are part of a large chain.

Sounds like a raised streak running part of the seam,  not a trench.  I doubt very much  it left the factory that way:  Sanding, finishing would surely bring the two or 3 pieces of wood completely flush and smooth as a baby's butt.   Then the nitro sprayed on top.  If a section raised up - I'd have to guess it was over-humidified somewhere in its early life.  I believer the nitrocellulose is 'flexible' enough for a year or so to raise without crazing.  Two coming from the same place with the same issue - might be the dealer has over humidified.     

If I were me, and I loved the guitar otherwise,  I would keep it and register your warranty card w/ Bozeman and note somewhere clearly in writing that you have this issue and will monitor it for a reasonable amount of time.   

Maybe this is a rare time when buying online makes more sense than buying in person? I got my Southern Jumbo from Sweet Water. The guitar was manufactured on St. Patrick's Day, 2021. I bought it, not even three weeks after that date, so the guitar was almost never out of its case before it got to me, and it arrived in great condition (well, apart from a couple non-play-related things). I've since kept it humidified and cased when not playing, and it's been completely stable. 

Edited by Sevendaymelee

In all of the decades I have been playing Gibsons the only one I ever bought sight unseen was my '32 12 fret L1. And that was from a very close friend who owns a small music shop and one of the few people on the face of the planet whose word when it comes to guitars I will take as good as gold.  But I do get a kick out of posts I have seen on some forums where a buyer says the salesperson at this or that store assured him he was getting the best sounding of the three of that particular model they have in stock.  I have to wonder what that salesperson told the guy who called later in the day about the guitar he would be getting.

My take on it though is I do get the feeling that folks today are more prone to pick up on any "flaw" they see and question what they should do.  I am more of the type to overlook certain things if that guitar has something about it which makes it stand out amongst the others I have played.  That, of course, assumes you have a wide enough experience with whatever model of guitar we are talking about to get a handle on the range of voices and feels it has to offer even if those differences are only nuanced. On the other hand, I also feel that if your get off on the wrong foot in a relationship with a guitar it can poison the waters because there might be say lingering doubts as to whether you got the best build quality this or that builder has to offer or something like that.

• Like 2