Gibson Brands Forums

The next Gibson generation!

jdgm

14 hours ago, Whitefang said:

I thought it was The Beatles and most of the "British Invasion"in the '60's.

Or Chuck Berry and Elvis in the '50's.   [wink]

Whitefang

Or Robert Johnson in the 20’s & 30’s…

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Larsongs said:

They really need to maintain that responsibility, legacy or whatever you call it… Mandolins & Banjo’s make incredible Music! 

The Gibson "Loar" mandolins are legendary and sell for large money and are sought after by the very best.

The Gibson Mastertone banjos get nearly the same respect.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So Robert Johnson in his 20 or 30 was that big a sensation?

No… 1920’s - 1930’s…..

For the past 100 years, he has been a huge influence for many who influenced us whose shoulders we stand on…. After, Elvis, The Beatles, The Stones & many of my other influences, all these years later, I find myself going back to Robert Johnson & wanting to play like him.. 

Edited by Larsongs

18 minutes ago, Murph said:

The Gibson "Loar" mandolins are legendary and sell for large money and are sought after by the very best.

The Gibson Mastertone banjos get nearly the same respect.

As I recall - Gibson stopped making banjos permanently after the 2010 Nashville flood destroyed their facility.  This put the already existing demand for Mastertones into the stratosphere.  "There not making them anymore."   The Mastertone is copied regularly by hundreds of small 'shade tree enthusiasts'.  Unlike guitars,  Banjos are basically a conglomeration of parts: Wooden pots, resonators, metal tone rings, drum head, necks, bridges, tailpieces, brackets, 4 regular tuners and the 5th string one, etc.  So - people will put different combinations together and claim they mimic the legendary classic Mastertone.  Some people craft the metal tone ring - brass, bronze, steel,  and make a living doing that.  Some  'genuine' 'vintage' banjos are pieced out - the parts sometimes can be sold form more than the instrument.  I don't believe there was a 'Norlin Era' glitch in the Mastertone lineage.  But -    I'm guessing  Gibson's  new  "Lifestyle" CEO is moving more in the direction of investing in guitars and views banjos a relic like the buggy whip.  More 20 year olds picking up the Mel Bay book than the Pete Seeger book. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

No… 1920’s - 1930’s…..

For the past 100 years, he has been a huge influence for many who influenced us whose shoulders we stand on…. After, Elvis, The Beatles, The Stones & many of my other influences, all these years later, I find myself going back to Robert Johnson & wanting to play like him.. 

Of course he is, but not when he was alive.

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

No… 1920’s - 1930’s…..

To me, Johnson was a pretty rudimentary player.  His contemporaries at the time, Josh White, Blind Lemon, Son House, Leadbelly could all match(and some surpass) him as players.  But Johnson's biggest contribution to blues was his setting the template for the modern blues song construction, which is still the foundation for the genre. And this is in no way intended to denigrate the influence Johnson had on the genre as a whole.  That can never be denied.

Whitefang

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Of course he is, but not when he was alive.

Eddie Cochran influenced a lot of Rockabilly Guys when he wasn’t alive.. Not sure being alive has anything to do with influence? Like Buddy Holly who was a huge influence on The Beatles & others…

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Eddie Cochran influenced a lot of Rockabilly Guys when he wasn’t alive.. Not sure being alive has anything to do with influence? Like Buddy Holly who was a huge influence on The Beatles & others…

While true in many cases you must remember.....

The members of The Beatles were in their mid and early(George) teens when Buddy was still alive and a possible influence.  On them and others of that "British Invasion".  Plus many rock'n'roll artists during Buddy's heyday.  And Johnson could have also influenced a lot of bluesmen while HE was still alive.  But as the recorded music industry was largely dominated by fat cat white label suits and white "posers" of "swing" era and big band dance ensembles, we have no way of really knowing the level of Johnson's popularity and influence back then. 

Whitefang

When I was teaching guitar, one of my students was an older guy who had seen Buddy Holly on his English tour in 1958.

During one of the lessons, he produced a length of guitar string - about 12"; apparently at the end of the concert he and his mates had gone to the stage door and pleaded for some sort of souvenir or autograph, and were given some of Buddy's discarded or broken strings...which they cut up and shared out.   This old piece of guitar string was a holy relic to this chap.   Similar to a lock of hair from Elvis or a Beatle.  I've never been that obsessed but it sort of shows you the power rock n' roll had back then.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

As I recall - Gibson stopped making banjos permanently after the 2010 Nashville flood destroyed their facility.  This put the already existing demand for Mastertones into the stratosphere. 

I went to the Opry Mills location many times. I bought my "The Gibson" heavy leather strap (that my J-45 gets exclusively) there.

I've often wondered what happened to all of those live stingrays that were there? Did they just swim off?

• Haha 1