Gibson Brands Forums

Has any one played this DSR Dreadnought

GKingN

Masterbuilts are the best deal going. I can't believe how good they are!! Bone nut, & saddle,

are you kidding me?

I can't say enough about these guitars!!!!

I bought an AJ500M as a beater guitar, & discovered it's much to good to be that!

Masterbuilts are the best deal going. I can't believe how good they are!! Bone nut' date=' & saddle,

are you kidding me?

I can't say enough about these guitars!!!!

I bought an AJ500M as a beater guitar, & discovered it's much to good to be that! [/quote']

I like the Blueridge tone much better.

Where in Canada are the DSRs made?

Built in the Garrison Guitars factory in St. John, Newfoundland. Gibson purchased Garrison in October 2007.

As for the bolt on neck...it is basically the same construction method that is used by Taylor, Godin and many others.

Where in Canada are the DSRs made?

On Da Rock, me b'y!

Obligatory Newfie Joke:

Dere's tree men in a bar, an American, a European and a Newfie.

The American has his gun with him. So he orders a drink, drinks it, grabs his

gun throws up his glass and shoot's it and says" we have so much money in

our country that we can buy all the glass in the world so that we don't have

to drink from the same glass twice.

So the European orders a drink, drinks it, grabs the Americans gun throws up his glass, shoots it and says" we have so much sand our country that we can make all the glass in the world so we

don't have to drink from the same glass twice.

So the Newfie orders a drink, drinks it, grabs the American's gun and shoot

him and says "we have so many Americans in our country that we don't have

to drink with the same one twice"

• 1 month later...

I too agree the Epipohne masterbuilts are terrific guitars. If you can get past not having Gibson on the headstock, you should be happy to own one. On the other hand like Martin, Gibson sees the advantage of making a cheaper, um, make that less expensive Guitar with the comany logo on it. Martin has their X series and arguably their 15 series too. Taylor has their's and now Gibson is off and runing. Bottom line is play them and make an honest to goodness evaluation and see what you think.

To answer the top question, I have played a DSR. Reminds me of a Martin DM with the touch of Gibson tone I prefer.

The Canadian Gibsons are made in the Garrison factory in Newfoundland. If you are not familiar with Garrison, it is a guitar where the bracing for the top is not wood, but a polymer material molded into a form that a guitar can be built around.

I can't say that I like the Garrisons, though they are popular with many Maritime players as stage guitars. They are certainly sturdy and travel very well for road warriors as the form makes the top very stable.

I feel that Gibson saw something valuable in the Garrison way of making guitars that perhaps I don't appreciate, but the bottom line for me is that inexpensively made Gibsons going on the market for bargain dollars will impact the value of the brand in much the same way Martin's laminated necks and plywood offerings have lessened the cachet associated with that brand.

I refer to the Garrison as a reverse Ovation. The plastic came off the back and got hidden under the top. Plastic is plastic, however, and it always sounds like Tupperware to my ears.

• 8 months later...

I've had a DSM Songmaker for a couple of months now and can set Ballcorner's mind at rest; the bracing is all solid wood, trust me I've checked. I can't comment on the bolt-on neck suggestion other than to say there are no bolts anywhere on view outside or inside - possibly covered by a wooden Gibson nameplate inside at the end of the neck? Anyway, regardless of brand or construction technique for me it's a great guitar which, once I'd popped a set of lighter 11 gague strings on, has a crisp clear tone.

Gibson bought Garrison, but they didn't continue the composite one piece bracing system. A shame really as i thought that was a possible advancement in guitar maklng that Garrison had not fully taken advantage of. I hoped Gibson would use it and make a better guitar. Instead they dumped it and brought more conventional guitar making systems in.

I was always rooting for Garrison but they never made it go- hard to get space in stores I think and the guitars just didn't stand out.

I am assuming that Gibson is looking for a certain price point in the market- above Epiphone, under the USA Gibsons. That implies that it should be a better guitar in every way than the Epi Masterbuilt series yet not so good as the top o the line models.

I wish them well. I bet it's hard finding work in Newfoundland and it's nice to see a guitar plant sitting in the midst of all that spruce and maple.

I played one......fit and finish (sorry to say) is superior to the Gibsons that were right beside it......that being said.....they didn't really capture that Gibson sound like the real ones did.....and I'm a Canadian.....so would like to see the company in Canada do well......oh well....lol

I think that chosing an acoustic is a really personal choice, most people have a price bracket to keep within and will home in on a few likely candidates. Aside from the DSM I considered a Guild and a Taylor but when i found a German site (Thomann) with a special offer on I pounced before the Pound fell against the Euro again. I got the DSM for £390 which by any standards is a bit of a deal.

By the way, did Obama fluff his lines when he took his oath or was my telly playing up?

Aside from the DSM I considered a Guild and a Taylor but when i found a German site (Thomann) with a special offer on I pounced before the Pound fell against the Euro again. I got the DSM for £390 which by any standards is a bit of a deal.

By the way' date=' did Obama fluff his lines when he took his oath or was my telly playing up?[/quote']

Nick. Sounds like you got a great deal. Nice one. I've often wondered what Thomann are like as they do sometimes have good prices on Gibsons and Fenders. How was their CS and was the guitar all it should have been when you received it.

I think I bought an effects pedal from them a couple of years ago which was a great deal - I still don't know how to use it though - but they were OK.

Obama has now re-sworn The Oath - just in case. That's what you get now the free world is run by a lawyer! (No offence to members of the legal profession)

AJ - I've dealt with Thomann, and it was really good CS. The prices were ace, the P&P price is removed when you spend X amount (I can't remember how much it was, sorry). They also sent me a text to let me know the item had been dispatched, and it took about 4-5 days I think (was a case for my old epi eJ200)... I was very impressed!!

Not sure if I'd gamble an expensive guitar from them - but that's my view on an internet retailer period!

Archived