Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson M2M J180 based off of the Everly Brothers Guitar

motorcitychick

I put my order in this past July for a M2M Gibson Acoustic J180 based off of the Everly Brothers guitar.  I finally had to have one made, due to not finding any dealers with this guitar in their inventory.  I can not wait for this guitar to arrive.  I am hoping I might see it in the spring of 2023.  I haven't heard anything from my dealer yet if this guitar has even gone into production.  I may try contacting the Bozeman plant after all the Christmas stuff is over with.  Any one else lusting for one of these guitars?

No.  That, however, in no way be taken as any kind of a comment on what you have ordered.  It has simply been a bunch of years since I have gotten an emotional charge (at least a positive one) out of any guitar.  But even though I no longer shudder with anticipation at even the thought of bringing home something new to me, I do remember and miss it so am content with living vicariously through others.  

Edited by zombywoof

On 12/18/2022 at 4:13 PM, slimt said:

Look into acquiring a J185.  If its that body style of guitar your looking for.  There pretty nice and not muted by the huge guards 

J185s are lovely guitars but are surprisingly different to J180s. I owned a J180 for a while and found it a totally different animal to a J185, possibly because of the large pickguards. The 180 was a beast of a guitar for rhythm work and had an appealing tone for jazz comping as the shorter sustain gave it a response more like an archtop than a traditional flat top. It was a great guitar to sing with as it was rich and detailed but not overly loud or dominant in any particular frequency. Extremely balanced, and under heavy pick attack it would compress really nicely.

J185s have similar balance but are louder, brighter and have longer sustain with a quicker response.. A little more brash (for want of a better word…not unpleasantly so) for rhythm work and with less of a sense of natural compression when played hard. I have found a J185 to be an excellent all-rounder and very good for fingerstyle playing but perhaps less well suited for vocal accompaniment than the J180.

My current dream Gibson is a J-180 with:

dark RW fretboard and bridge

super flame maple neck, back and sides

burst top, back, sides and neck

moustache bridge with stars (like they did for a bit in the 1990s)

gold milk-bottle Grover Rotomatics

thin and dark DARK brown celluloid tortoiseshell Everly Brothers pickguards

no pickup

brown Gibson / Calton case

6 hours ago, Jinder said:

J185s are lovely guitars but are surprisingly different to J180s. I owned a J180 for a while and found it a totally different animal to a J185, possibly because of the large pickguards. The 180 was a beast of a guitar for rhythm work and had an appealing tone for jazz comping as the shorter sustain gave it a response more like an archtop than a traditional flat top. It was a great guitar to sing with as it was rich and detailed but not overly loud or dominant in any particular frequency. Extremely balanced, and under heavy pick attack it would compress really nicely.

J185s have similar balance but are louder, brighter and have longer sustain with a quicker response.. A little more brash (for want of a better word…not unpleasantly so) for rhythm work and with less of a sense of natural compression when played hard. I have found a J185 to be an excellent all-rounder and very good for fingerstyle playing but perhaps less well suited for vocal accompaniment than the J180.

Your comments regarding the J185 petty much mirror the experiences I had with mine although mine was Koa and not maple. I really wanted to love that guitar but it just didn’t quite work for me.