Gibson Brands Forums

Rock Docs

Sgt. Pepper

Starting watching a doc on Joe Strummer called The Future Is Unwritten. I’m about 15 mins in. Gonna finish it tomorrow. Learned a lot so far. He wasn’t even born in the UK. He was born in Turkey and lived in a few countries before going to boarding school in the UK.

• Upvote 1

Finished the Joe Strummer doc. Him and The Clash turned into exactly what they rallied against, big rock stars like the Stones (well not as big, but pretty big). Remember when The Clash were "The Only Band That Mattered". It seemed that once he left the 101'er he put up a front and had his Punk persona on at all times. One guy in the doc who knew him even called him a bit of a fraud. After the Clash he was lost and didn't know what to do. His post Clash stuff never interested me and Combat rock was awful and Cut The Crap was awfuller.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

I watched a short 45 min doc about the electric guitar yesterday. PRS was in it and G E Smith. 

We were discussing pots in another thread and Sheepdog1969 wanted to know how it all worked. They briefly went over how a pickup works.

• Upvote 1

Every damn guitarist in the interviews said that Charvel was giving them free guitars. Why wasn't I given free guitars. And some of the guys were not even known yet. Its funny the guys holding guitars not made by Charvel or Jackson have tape covering the name. Um yeah that's a Fender, I'm not stupid.

They even interview Punky Meadows, lead guitar player from a band called Angel. Punky Punky give me your lips to die on. I promise not to . . . 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

On 8/8/2023 at 3:01 PM, Pinch said:

Did Charvel endorse any well-known guitarists? They had something to do with Jackson as well unless I'm mistaken (it's currently owned by Fender). 

Charvel started the company and then a few years later Jackson came on the scene. Can't remember those guy first names even though they said it a lot in the doc. They talked to several workers who were there in the heyday, and lots of guitarist and bassists. A few people I never heard of. Once they opened a plant in Canada and started making them over seas they guys that worked there said the quality went down hill. The guy from Def Leppard had a signature one. The doc was okay. They did slag on Gibson and Fender when C and J was in the heyday taking about the poor quality at the time of F and G. Their words not mine. I think after Charvel left the company they said he went to work for Washburn and then Rickenbacker.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

Then I watched a doc about people who took photo's and documented Country artists through the years. The Nudie suits were so killer. Now all the bro's have their bro country uniform they wear. Stetson Cowboy Hat, t-shirt of a rock band of course, or short sleeve plaid button up shirt, jean (ripped of course), bandanna folded in the back pocket and no well dressed bro would leave the house without his cowboy boots.  It is optional to wear a mesh back bubba trucker hat, and it better say Peterbuilt on it. 

One guy was busting on the bros in the doc and said "when I go to a show I want them to dress nice and not like I'm at a place getting my oil changed". Too funny.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

On 8/11/2023 at 1:50 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Charvel started the company and then a few years later Jackson came on the scene. Can't remember those guy first names even though they said it a lot in the doc. They talked to several workers who were there in the heyday, and lots of guitarist and bassists. A few people I never heard of. Once they opened a plant in Canada and started making them over seas they guys that worked there said the quality went down hill. The guy from Def Leppard had a signature one. The doc was okay. They did slag on Gibson and Fender when C and J was in the heyday taking about the poor quality at the time of F and G. Their words not mine. I think after Charvel left the company they said he went to work for Washburn and then Rickenbacker.

I part-exed my strat of 25 years use for a Jackson. Those 80s/90s guitars just raised the bar enormously. Since then the legacy makers have had to incorporate many of those innovations into their guitars. Fender added another fret, and flattened the fingerboard rad. Everybody started offering jumbo frets, Gibson produced sculpted heels. 

I might have used my strat for a quarter century, but as far as I was concerned at the time, it had just become redundant. 

18 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

She sounded better than perfect. I know how that sounds, but I believe it to be true anyway.

She's not like these Barbie country singers. When you hear Ella's voice you damn well know who it is. She had a rough life. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Watched a doc on The Ventures last night. My father in law has tons of their original albums in the house. I'm gonna dig some out. A bunch are mono. Those dudes just kept on going with line up change after line up change. They got in in the Rock Hall Of Shame about 23 years after being eligible.

• Upvote 1

I watched a good Brian Jones (Stones) biopic over the weekend called.... Rolling Stone: Life and Death of Brian Jones. To be fair I knew the story pretty well, but they had some interviews footage that I had not seen. Amazon Prime Video... free if you are already paying for Prime

33 minutes ago, surfpup said:

I watched a good Brian Jones (Stones) biopic over the weekend called.... Rolling Stone: Life and Death of Brian Jones. To be fair I knew the story pretty well, but they had some interviews footage that I had not seen. Amazon Prime Video... free if you are already paying for Prime

I have Am. Prime. I’ll check it out. Is it a biopic or documentary?

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

watching Fanny right now...amazing times in those days in those places.

I'll probably watch The Public Image is Rotten during the next few days - both docos are on public TV here in Oz.

I watched Fanny a few weeks back. Those chicks just couldn't catch a break. 

• Upvote 1

After I finished the one on Brian Jones. I watched one of those classic album ones about Don McLean - American Pie. I was hesitant cause I knew I was gonna have to hear that song and I can't take it any more. Vincent and Empty Chair are great songs.  I gotta get that album. I never owned it. I'll just skip A P when I listen to it. When he talked it was refreshing to hear someone actually critique his work and be real about it. He points out when he messes up not the line, but how he sang it. And called one or two songs weak. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I watched Fanny a few weeks back. Those chicks just couldn't catch a break. 

Their music seems pretty appropriate for the time but not all that ear-catching. ..hey, they played Carnegie Hall though. 

The guitarist (as older lady) has a physical resemblance to (older man) Jimmy Page to my eyes [scared]

1 minute ago, 'Scales said:

Their music seems pretty appropriate for the time but not all that ear-catching. ..hey, they played Carnegie Hall though. 

The guitarist (as older lady) has a physical resemblance to (older man) Jimmy Page to my eyes [scared]

I wish I was in the studio with a chick playing with her shirt off. Why would Todd object?

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, 'Scales said:

watching Fanny right now...amazing times in those days in those places.

I'll probably watch The Public Image is Rotten during the next few days - both docos are on public TV here in Oz.

Just started The Public Image Us Rotten.

• Upvote 1