Gibson Brands Forums

Rock Docs

Sgt. Pepper

I watched Mary McCartney’s Doc, If These Walls Could Sing, about Abbey Road (EMI) studio the other day. It was good, but I didn’t think it was great. Of course it was heavy with Beatles stuff. Of course those Scallywag’s Oasis were kicked out due to apparently playing The Beatles records at loud volume one night, and probably being super drunk and high.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

I watched a doc on John Waite last night of the Baby's and Bad English, anyone remember them?  I think Head First is a really good album. It was made when we were all sent to two years of home prison. It gives you a view of how terrible the music industry is. I had no clue he did a stint in Ringo's ASB.

• Upvote 1

On 12/26/2022 at 6:04 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

For Xmas I got the Criterion Edition of Gimme Shelter and The Rolling Stones Rock And Roll Circus. Both on Blue Ray. I haven't seen either in ages.

I used to have The Rolling Stone's Rock And Roll Circus.... lost it in a hard drive crash....need to get it again....simply fantastic.

38 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I used to have The Rolling Stone's Rock And Roll Circus.... lost it in a hard drive crash....need to get it again....simply fantastic.

I think I'm gonna watch R & R Circus today. I'm lazy and so far only watched Gimme Shelter. 

• Upvote 1

Not really a Doc but I watched the TAMI Show recently.. Great Stones & Beach Boys segments…

I watched a Doc called Under The Volcano about George Martins post Beatles Studio on an Island.. Lots of great Albums were recorded there in the 70’s & 80’s until the Volcano erupted & wiped out a lot of the Island… 

Edited by Larsongs

Hopefully on your lists are:

"Hired Gun" A documentary film about session and touring musicians that are hired by well established and famous bands and artists like Metallica, KISS, and Billy Joel.

"Fanny: The Right to Rock" reveals the untold story of a Filipina American garage band that morphed into the ferocious rock group Fanny, who almost became the female Beatles.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/6/2023 at 7:39 PM, nhwildbill said:

"Hired Gun" A documentary film about session and touring musicians that are hired by well established and famous bands and artists like Metallica, KISS, and Billy Joel.

It's good. 

On 6/6/2023 at 1:39 PM, nhwildbill said:

"Fanny: The Right to Rock" reveals the untold story of a Filipina American garage band that morphed into the ferocious rock group Fanny, who almost became the female Beatles.

Seen Hired Gun. It’s good. Billy Joel is a grade A super A-hole. I saw the trailer for Fanny. I will watch it one day.

• Upvote 1

On 6/4/2023 at 4:44 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think I'm gonna watch R & R Circus today. I'm lazy and so far only watched Gimme Shelter. 

I know everybody knows this song, but I'ma gonna post it here anyway. (Never heard this version before)
Gimme Shelter

The best thing about R & R Circus is every one but The Stones and Joko Ono when she howls and squeeles. They were more of a mess than usual when filmed. I'm sure large quantities of drugs were consumed.

Can you identify the left handed guitarist in Jethro Tull?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The best thing about R & R Circus is every one but The Stones and Joko Ono when she howls and squeeles. They were more of a mess than usual when filmed. I'm sure large quantities of drugs were consumed.

Can you identify the left handed guitarist in Jethro Tull?

Tony Iommi 

3 hours ago, sparquelito said:

If you haven't seen Sound City (from 2013), a documentary by Dave Grohl on the history of the legendary recording studio in Van Nuys, California.

It's really good.

🙂

soundcity.jpg

I'm not a Grohl fan, but yeah its good. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I think Iomi was asked to join Tull after Mick Abrahams left. 

I looked that up and found this:

The group tried several replacements for Abrahams. The first was David O'List, who had recently left the Nice. After a week's rehearsal, O'List did not show up and lost contact with the group. The next choice was Mick Taylor, who turned the group down because he felt his current gig with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers was a better deal.[42] Following this, they approached Tony Iommi, guitarist for Earth (soon to be renamed Black Sabbath). Iommi had impressed Jethro Tull when Earth opened for them at a show in Birmingham; he briefly joined the band, but feeling closer to his old band, quit after a few weeks and returned to Birmingham to rejoin Earth.[47] He stood in with Tull for The Rolling Stones Rock and Roll Circus on 11 December 1968, when the group performed "A Song for Jeffrey", although only Anderson's singing and flute were live. The rest was mimed to the studio track, which featured Abraham's guitar playing.

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not strictly a rock doc but last week I saw "EMI the Inside Story" about the giant record company.  Throughout the 50s through the 70s they were a behemoth in not just the recording industry but all the electronics industry in the UK.  Pretty good documentary, well worth watching.