Gibson Brands Forums

Rock Docs

Sgt. Pepper

John is a right pain is the a-ss. He insisted and was addiment that PIL is not a band but a company. Yet throughout the doc he keeps saying the word band instead of company.  I don't like their music or see their appeal. It just grates on you. A couple things off Metal Box/Second Edition are not to bad. I think one of my farts sound better than his, and I will use this term loosely, singing.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

Just finished watching PiL doco - and I really quite enjoyed that.

Not a band I'm too familiar with but they didn't seem to try and fit in with what others were doing and got (and kept) a large and loyal following worldwide for it. Their music isn't really what I'd choose to listen to, but I can hear how they influenced many others with songs like Public Image...and for all that they were, the same old sh!t most of us have been through with quitting's and firings and substances etc :rolleyes:... anyhoo, good luck to the man, I reckon I'd enjoy having a beer or two with him from what i saw and heard.

1 hour ago, 'Scales said:

Just finished watching PiL doco - and I really quite enjoyed that.

Not a band I'm too familiar with but they didn't seem to try and fit in with what others were doing and got (and kept) a large and loyal following worldwide for it. Their music isn't really what I'd choose to listen to, but I can hear how they influenced many others with songs like Public Image...and for all that they were, the same old sh!t most of us have been through with quitting's and firings and substances etc :rolleyes:... anyhoo, good luck to the man, I reckon I'd enjoy having a beer or two with him from what i saw and heard.

I remember a friend playing the song This Is What You Want This Is What You Get in the mid-80. And wondering why he liked it.  Lots of band don't fit it. The Residents, Frank Zappa, and Rush as big as they were never really fit anywhere, yet they have/had super loyal fans. If there is a band out there, chances are it clicks with someone.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Watching a doc on a band called Renaldo & The Loaf, are from Portsmouth, England. I think Merc lives there. They recorded one album with the Residents, and they were on the Residents Ralph label. It’s pretty weird stuff.

I had a listen to the Residents, and I just just had a listen to Renaldo & The Loaf, and yeah, some of my Portsea Island neighbours of old were not dissimilar. 

4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I had a listen to the Residents, and I just just had a listen to Renaldo & The Loaf, and yeah, some of my Portsea Island neighbours of old were not dissimilar. 

The guy who introduced my to The Residents worked at Tower Records. At 11:30 pm they would put them on to get people to leave the store.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Watched a doc about Morphine yesterday. Not the drug, the band. I wanted to see them, and was going to get tickets for a show in Berkley then Mark had a heart attack on stage in Italy. They were a killer band.

I also watched a concert film called Hard Core Devo. They played only stuff  before they album with Whip It. 

Jocko Homo still makes me laugh. They didn't play Mongaloid. 

They tell us that
We lost our tails
Evolving up
From little snails
I say it's all
Just wind in sails

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

On 8/20/2023 at 3:32 AM, merciful-evans said:

That doc was the first stuff I heard from R & L, other than the album they did with The Residents, which I have. Its equally as weird as their stuff.  I listened to Songs From Swinging Larvae the next day. I might attempt to listen to Arabic Yodeling. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That doc was the first stuff I heard from R & L, other than the album they did with The Residents, which I have. Its equally as weird as their stuff.  I listened to Songs From Swinging Larvae the next day. I might attempt to listen to Arabic Yodeling. 

Both Rusted Root and Indigo Girls have borrowed from Arabic yodeling. 

10 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Both Rusted Root and Indigo Girls have borrowed from Arabic yodeling. 

I am streaming Arabic Yodeling right now. Wish I was on Shrooms. I may buy this and Swinging Larvae on CD. If I can get into the Residents, I can get into this after repeated listening.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Pinch said:

Same here. If he hadn't been in the Pistols, would they have "made it"? 

He's probably still be getting beaten up for running his mouth to this day, but he was in the band that couldn't play and was only there to annoy. They did there job and are legends because of it. Sid became a junkie cause of Nancy, and paid the price.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Us+Them is on TV, they are calling it a documentary but really its not (probly just as well...) but rather a concert. Pretty good set, great special  effects with 'floating' power station,  and no doubt the sound would have been amazing live. Doesn't really compare with a Gilmour concert of same era (say @ Pompeii) but I guess there's the non-musical aspects that Waters' crowd digs rather than just pure majesty of music. Not bad, I wouldn't watch again, but quite enjoyable as a one-off. [thumbup]

35 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Us+Them is on TV, they are calling it a documentary but really its not (probly just as well...) but rather a concert. Pretty good set, great special  effects with 'floating' power station,  and no doubt the sound would have been amazing live. Doesn't really compare with a Gilmour concert of same era (say @ Pompeii) but I guess there's the non-musical aspects that Waters' crowd digs rather than just pure majesty of music. Not bad, I wouldn't watch again, but quite enjoyable as a one-off. [thumbup]

I have the concert film DVD of Roger Waters - In The Flesh. I saw him twice. Him and Dave should get in an enclosed cage, both with rusty Bowie knives and fight it out and settle their stupid squabble. 

• Upvote 1

Just watched Gimme Danger (I've watched it once before but it didn't feel familiar - must have been a while). Ron Asheton & J.Mascis among my very favourite guitarists ever so this was cool. My band has a gig on Friday night and suddenly I feel very ready to rock. 🤘 

18 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

Just watched Gimme Danger (I've watched it once before but it didn't feel familiar - must have been a while). Ron Asheton & J.Mascis among my very favourite guitarists ever so this was cool. My band has a gig on Friday night and suddenly I feel very ready to rock. 🤘 

I started watching Gimmie Danger a while back, but it just didn't click. I'm not a big Iggy or Stooges fan.  Hey look its the clip again of Iggy smearing peanut butter on his chest, and he is bleeding profusely cause he cut his chest with a broken bottle. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/26/2023 at 3:28 AM, Pinch said:

Great band that are kind of unknown for some reason. 

I loved Morphine. Even better I love Sandman's previous band "Treat Her Right".  Sorta lo-fi rockabilly. Killer stuff.

Edited by surfpup

Watching Duran Duran A Hollywood High.... not sure why cos they didn't appeal to me back in my early hormonal youth in their peak period so I didn't expect them to now, but nostalgia I guess. Its mainly a boutique  concert.

The singer, bass player and drummer seem like quite nice blokes in the interviews, but that said...now I don't like to call any music awful, but this is truly hard to listen to. I shoulda known I suppose. Oh well.

12 hours ago, 'Scales said:

Some Kind of Monster....and (to me)  it just doesn't get any easier to watch after all these years. [scared]

I for one can not believe 'Tallica let that get out. I really loathed those guy at that point in their career and after seeing that I loathed them a lot more if that is possible. It made and makes them look like the rich whinny bastids they have become. 

And two I can't believe you sat down to watch DD and thought it would be any good. Her name is Rio and she dances on the sand. All the 16 year old girls ate that up in High School. 

• Upvote 1

• 4 months later...