Gibson Brands Forums

Rock Docs

Sgt. Pepper

On 9/27/2023 at 6:51 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I started watching Gimmie Danger a while back, but it just didn't click. I'm not a big Iggy or Stooges fan.  Hey look its the clip again of Iggy smearing peanut butter on his chest, and he is bleeding profusely cause he cut his chest with a broken bottle. 

Got to see Iggy and the Stooges back in the day.  Someone pranked the fancy downtown hotel into booking “Iggy Pop” into their ballroom.  A Fellini-esque scene in my head of leather and chained, mohawked, Doc Marten stomping punks mingling menacingly in the hallway with the Brooks Brothers/Chanel set.  

I was not into punk myself back then, more a self-destructive metalhead. I was there just for the Bowie association, and my friends were “punk adjacent.” And some of Iggy’s stuff was tolerable. I still quote lyrics from “I’m Bored”  especially now that “I’m chairman of the bored/board”  😏

Yeah, nothing happened, but that is the crux of the biscuit, as Frank says. It was just pointless, self-serving posturing and acting out.  I cringed for the needless anxiety and fright to the folks on a “nice night out” who got caught up in it.  

The show was unmemorable, apparently.

Edited by PrairieDog

On 6/4/2023 at 9:37 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I watched a doc on John Waite last night of the Baby's and Bad English, anyone remember them?  I think Head First is a really good album. It was made when we were all sent to two years of home prison. It gives you a view of how terrible the music industry is. I had no clue he did a stint in Ringo's ASB.

great voice. my 1st wife had the Baby's album. I guess it was their 1st. really good band, dumb name

• Like 2

Watched a doc on the making of the We Are The World song. Lionel and Quincy had to heard a lot of cats in the studio that day. 

Waylon Jennings walked out after Stevie Wonder suggested they sing a few words in Swahili. The point was brought up in doc that they were doing this for Ethiopia, which Swahili is not their language.

Sheila E was pissed cause all she though they wanted her there for was to try to get Prince to come in and sing. She was dating Prince a the time. If you have ever heard the song there is no Prince on it.

It was done right after the AMA Awards and that is why that many people are in the same area at the same time. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

I guess this is technically a biopic and not a doc. Its called Priscilla. Its about Elvis meeting Priscilla in Germany and their courtship. Its pretty uncomfortable to watch Elvis as man in the Army, and 24 at the time, get the hots for a 14 year old. It shows him giving her pills when she was underage. Her parents let her leave school to go stay with Elvis for a bit. Plus you know E was banging anything and everything that walked. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I guess this is technically a biopic and not a doc. Its called Priscilla. Its about Elvis meeting Priscilla in Germany and their courtship. Its pretty uncomfortable to watch Elvis as man in the Army, and 24 at the time, get the hots for a 14 year old. It shows him giving her pills when she was underage. Her parents let her leave school to go stay with Elvis for a bit. Plus you know E was banging anything and everything that walked. 

Downright creepy. I love Elvis, but jeez.

On 9/27/2023 at 1:51 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I started watching Gimmie Danger a while back, but it just didn't click. I'm not a big Iggy or Stooges fan.  Hey look its the clip again of Iggy smearing peanut butter on his chest, and he is bleeding profusely cause he cut his chest with a broken bottle. 

Not the best documentary, but the Stooges kicked ***, IMHO.

I have had a DVD version of Martin Scorcese's documentary Living In The Material World  sitting around here forever.

The film was made in 2011, and I acquired the DVD some time later.  I haven't watched TV in so long, I kind of shelved it.
Years later, I did the same thing with Blade Runner 2049. Bought it, and never watched it.

I think I'll dust off the cables and connections, and see if the old DVD player still works, and find out if the television is up for it.

I really liked George Harrison a lot.
My goal will be to watch the film by this weekend.

😉

JeAamvB.jpg

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

I have had a DVD version of Martin Scorcese's documentary Living In The Material World  sitting around here forever.

The film was made in 2011, and I acquired the DVD some time later.  I haven't watched TV in so long, I kind of shelved it.
Years later, I did the same thing with Blade Runner 2049. Bought it, and never watched it.

I think I'll dust off the cables and connections, and see if the old DVD player still works, and find out if the television is up for it.

😉

JeAamvB.jpg

I have it on dvd or blue ray. It’s good. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Finished a 2 pert doc on Paul Simon called In Restless Dreams. Part one was his career with Garfunkel up to bridge over troubled water, and part two was his solo career. It was really good. 

It Might Get Loud, is a good documentary.  I remember when BlockBuster was closing and I happened to wonder in there one afternoon.  They had two copies for a buck a piece so I bought them.  Kept one, gave the other to my friend.

I like it because three relatively good guitarists, Jack White, The Edge, and Jimmy Page were all involved in the making of it.  Great documentary in my humble opinion.

2 hours ago, Californiaman said:

It Might Get Loud, is a good documentary.  I remember when BlockBuster was closing and I happened to wonder in there one afternoon.  They had two copies for a buck a piece so I bought them.  Kept one, gave the other to my friend.

I like it because three relatively good guitarists, Jack White, The Edge, and Jimmy Page were all involved in the making of it.  Great documentary in my humble opinion.

I watched that a few years back. Jack thought he was gonna be able try to steal some of Jimmy or the Sides musical tricks. Nope. Cool doc.

On 3/6/2024 at 1:36 PM, sparquelito said:

😉

JeAamvB.jpg

it's good. you'll like it

Not really a Rock Doc, but I watched part 1 of a doc called Steve!, about Steve Martin. He does play banjo. Part one goes up to The Jerk. Need to watch the second one. He is a wild and crazy guy. Now he just does everything with Martin Short.