Gibson Brands Forums

Pickup for j45 banner reissue

Jtylermiller

Curious what pickup any owners of the J45 Banner reissue have used and how you like? I’ve always used LR Baggs anthem in my other guitars but took it to a shop today and they said Anthem was not ideal with the Saddle style of the guitar. Any advice/input would be great!

Edited by Jtylermiller

• 1 month later...
On 1/12/2023 at 4:56 PM, Jtylermiller said:

Curious what pickup any owners of the J45 Banner reissue have used and how you like? I’ve always used LR Baggs anthem in my other guitars but took it to a shop today and they said Anthem was not ideal with the Saddle style of the guitar. Any advice/input would be great!

Just curious, what is it about the Banner saddle that makes it LESS ideal for the Anthem system?

Its a full cut through saddle, versus the drop in type, so they are less than ideal for a UST, not to say it couldn't be done,  but it would likely be messy to make it work right.  You would need to add shim to the outside of the UST itself.

Cut Through vs. Drop In Guitar Saddles - Banjo Studio

4 minutes ago, G Man said:

Its a full cut through saddle, versus the drop in type, so they are less than ideal for a UST, not to say it couldn't be done,  but it would likely be messy to make it work right.  You would need to add shim to the outside of the UST itself.

Cut Through vs. Drop In Guitar Saddles - Banjo Studio

Plus there’s the fact a through-cut saddle should be glued in….

Why not try a Baggs M1, M1 Active or M80? I’ve got an M1 in my J-35 and an M80 for my Kevin Schwab hand built guitar (which has a through-cut saddle…) and both work well. Yeah, they’re soundhole pickups, but both are really a step above, especially the M80. And if you decide you want something different, there’s no disassembly required….

I'm a big fan of the Dimarzio Black Angel.  Good output while still passive, good tone.   Definitley going for a Sunbeam sound though not fully at that level (though for that big a cost difference, it's your call).  I also like it because you can combine it with another pickup (undersaddle or K&K) as it's got a build in phase shift button.  Big fan and highly recommend!

13 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

Plus there’s the fact a through-cut saddle should be glued in….

Why not try a Baggs M1, M1 Active or M80? I’ve got an M1 in my J-35 and an M80 for my Kevin Schwab hand built guitar (which has a through-cut saddle…) and both work well. Yeah, they’re soundhole pickups, but both are really a step above, especially the M80. And if you decide you want something different, there’s no disassembly required….

That's the second time I've heard a "through cut should be glued in". I'm not dismissing it but I have 3 and none are glued!I have had several pass through my hands and unless I am mistaken none have been glued. Would gluing it provide some advantage over well fit or is it just for the benefit of the pickup?

16 hours ago, aliasphobias said:

That's the second time I've heard a "through cut should be glued in". I'm not dismissing it but I have 3 and none are glued!I have had several pass through my hands and unless I am mistaken none have been glued. Would gluing it provide some advantage over well fit or is it just for the benefit of the pickup?

At least Martin has always glued in through-cut saddles. Unsure about Gibson or other builders. https://www.13thfret.com/saddleswap.shtml

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen one that wasn’t glued, but I’m no expert and certainly don’t doubt your personal experience.