Gibson Brands Forums

Jeff Beck

Dave F

In tribute to Jeff Beck, here’s a recording of me from 13 years ago, shortly after I first heard Jeff Beck do his instrumental version of “A Day in the Life”.  My version of the song at the time was my own instrumental interpretation of the song with homage to both Wes Montgomery (who also did a guitar instrumental version of the song ) and to Jeff Beck.   When I play it at gigs I often precede it by saying here’s my interpretation of a Beatle song that hardly anyone plays solo except maybe Jeff Beck.  (Note:  I will  need to  figure out how to rephrase that intro moving forward now that Jeff Beck has passed away, while still paying tribute to him).   At the end of the song is a jazz guitar version of “I Want to Hold Your Hand” that I put in the arrangement to take the place of the long piano note on the Beatles’ version.

I am playing a hollow body (acoustic/electric) 1965 Gibson 125TC with a P-90 pickup that I have in my collection through possibly either a Kalamazoo amp  or an Ibanez amp  (I can’t recall for sure).

No overdubs are in the recording.  Just me live playing my gitbox, Fingerpicking and octave playing.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

Edited by QuestionMark

Nicely written and nicely played jt.

I saw him in November in Thousand Oaks, one of his last gigs. I was a teenager when Blow By Blow came out. It was nothing like what I was into at the time but I loved it and still do. I've listened to it non stop the last few days. His death has really affected me. Something along the lines of devastated.

12 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Nicely done JT.  Thanks for sharing the two clips.  I watched the beck show before, but I liked watching your performance as well

Talk about trying to not let the moment get too big!  That had to be the hardest part.

Thanks!

Yes, I had to keep reminding myself: this is just another guitar performance. Sure. 🙂

28 minutes ago, jt said:

Thanks!

Yes, I had to keep reminding myself: this is just another guitar performance. Sure. 🙂

Jeff Beck sitting a few feet away, nope.. not just another performance.   It's like a  whole new slant on naked and afraid.