Gibson Brands Forums

Crackling Volume & Tone Pots

LPguitarman

Deoxit is great.

I like Deoxit Gold to coat phone jacks, and Deoxit Red will make a badly corroded connector work again.

When the phone plug/jack makes the same crackle sound when disturbed, it's Deoxit Gold to the rescue. If it's been untreated for too long, I'll clean it with Red, wipe that off, and then apply the Gold.

I live in Florida, and have a gig right next to The Atlantic Ocean, outdoors, under a canopy. Deoxit is my friend, because as Mr. Young stated, rust never sleeps.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫

On 1/20/2023 at 1:41 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yep tryany good electrical cleaner. 

Well maybe not any,  (IME)

I've tried the cheap stuff, with varying results  it usually doesn't last long and you're back at it

but that stuff sparky shows 100% works.

it's worth it,  but do read the "instructions"  I know, were men, we're not supposed to but there's a process with this stuff

follow it, and it will probably work for you like it's worked for me

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Well maybe not any,  (IME)

I've tried the cheap stuff, with varying results  it usually doesn't last long and you're back at it

but that stuff sparky shows 100% works.

it's worth it,  but do read the "instructions"  I know, were men, we're not supposed to but there's a process with this stuff

follow it, and it will probably work for you like it's worked for me

I have a can of LPS No Flash Electro Contact Cleaner I “borrowed” when I was a NASA contractor. It does not suck. NASA  didn’t buy c-rap. Like a Gibson it’s made in the USA.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I have a can of LPS No Flash Electro Contact Cleaner I “borrowed” when I was a NASA contractor. It does not suck. NASA  didn’t buy c-rap. Like a Gibson it’s made in the USA.

Well I'm sure there's more than ONE choice for the good stuff.

Compared to the el cheap can of contact cleaner I got at best buy a few years ago, the Deoxit worked much better.  The cheap stuff only lasted for a short period,  and it reverted back to that how it was prior to the cleaning.

12 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Well I'm sure there's more than ONE choice for the good stuff.

Compared to the el cheap can of contact cleaner I got at best buy a few years ago, the Deoxit worked much better.  The cheap stuff only lasted for a short period,  and it reverted back to that how it was prior to the cleaning.

Yep but at work I used what they bought.

3 hours ago, LPguitarman said:

Cleaned my Tone and Volume Knobs, plus I sprayed some in the Toggle Switch too.  Worked great, no noise anymore.  Oh, and I ate the Bit-O-Honey and the Tootsie Roll.  Sorry Sgt. Pepper.🤪

My wife always snags the Bit O Honey if I don't get around to immediate eating them. Usually when I get something from SW, I go and play with what ever I got, or usually its strings, and I go do a string change, and forget about the candy.

Good deal the spray worked.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I got inspired & got my Twin Reverb out.. I removed the Chassis, got my DeOxit & Tool box then gave it a good cleaning.. It still has the original Tubes but one of the 6L6’s is defective.. I had a matched Set of 4 Tung Sol 6L6’s & installed them. I thought being a matched Set they wouldn’t need to be Biased… Wrong.. I have no idea how to Bias so I ended up dropping it off to my Amp Tech.. He offered to show me how to Bias & am going to try coordinating a time to go over to his Shop & learn..

That must be a good business.. He has so much work he’s working nights & Saturdays trying to catch up with demand.. 

• Like 2