Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Yamano

Jdeskovi

hey guys,

im thinking about trading for this Gibson Gold Top Yamano guitar. Guy has it listed at 5K and I’ve been looking for some sort of R9 guitar. I would be trading a RnR Lightning, a K Line strat (2009), and a telecaster project I’ve been working on. Was Yamano comparable if not better than the US Gibson custom shops. I will be playing this guitar before even considering it. Guy stated that the guitar is over 20 years old. Any input would be great. Thanks guys. 

9C085198-6C1C-4F69-BD6E-EFD4035440B9.png

E8CF8518-BACF-4D6A-8BD0-1D65EB7FA443.png

0C05D6AE-819B-4D51-A511-A0ABAE824763.png

EFE948FF-EB9D-4E3B-A3F7-EF3895CAC4D5.png

B1DCB005-5574-4397-A3AB-AC81F76B0C9B.png

7B0345DF-603E-495E-9EF5-82627A013A32.png

9967D0C4-DCCB-4DDF-888B-0A054B138B2E.png

5A075459-DD1B-471A-8527-D752DE8069C2.png

ABF2B65F-ED33-4C6A-B50D-0C605597C342.png

8C734083-574F-4446-8249-14A919E8C292.png

404E21DC-91A5-42C3-AE6A-868EA4E010B9.png

I certainly hope Gibson would not built a guitar they made to be sold in Japan, to be better of better quality than the stuff we can buy in the States, but who knows.

Isn't Yamano just the Japanese distributer of Gibson in Japan?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

23 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I certainly hope Gibson would not built a guitar they made to be sold in Japan, to be better of better quality than the stuff we can buy in the States, but who knows.

Isn't Yamano just the Japanese distributer of Gibson in Japan?

Can someone answer Mr Peppers because I’ve seen customs go for this price. Also produced in America

27 minutes ago, Jdeskovi said:

Land of the free. Merica 

Yes, Merica.  Where you are asking users of the Merican Customme Shoppe how good the guitars are from the Japan Custom Shop, guitars we would realistically not see here.  You know nothing about it, what makes you think anyone else does?  Good luck with the purchase.

rct

8 minutes ago, rct said:

Yes, Merica.  Where you are asking users of the Merican Customme Shoppe how good the guitars are from the Japan Custom Shop, guitars we would realistically not see here.  You know nothing about it, what makes you think anyone else does?  Good luck with the purchase.

rct

Just looked over threads on other forums where people have some information on these guitars. So ANYONE actually knows about them. 

1 minute ago, Jdeskovi said:

Just looked over threads on other forums where people have some information on these guitars. So ANYONE actually knows about them. 

If its not a Martin, I have no interest in it. I'm just one of the peanut gallery here, and owned many a Gibson long ago. Well, 2017, or whenever they made Henry step down I sold the last two I owned.

4 minutes ago, Jdeskovi said:

Yes, a Custom Shop guitar "hand selected" to be sold by Yamano, the Japanese distributor.  So yes, it is just as good as an American Custom Shop guitar because it is an American Custom Shop guitar sold by the Japanese distributor.  If they didn't pick it, it would be just like any other Custom Shop job.

rct

Never heard of Yamano myself, but that doesn't mean anything as I am not familiar with the Japanese market.  The gold top looks very unusual like it has some sparkles or something in it as well as the black back and neck.   A Custom Shop '57 Goldtop re-issue has an MSRP of $4,999 so not sure I would be fooling around with a questionable 20 year old used Japanese distributor model.

Not to worry as long as you get to play it and inspect it.  After that you will know more about Yamano distributed guitars than any of us😀

Edited by Twang Gang

• 1 year later...

I know this is a late response but just so no future readers are confused by some of the information in this thread...

There is no such thing as a Japanese Custom Shop. No Gibson guitars are built  in Japan that are of a superior quality to an American Gibson. Every custom shop guitar is built in America. But, as the story goes, the very finest from Gibson's custom shop in the US is hand selected for the Yamano market in Japan where an American guitar of top tier quality commands a very high price. As a result there is a real mystique and higher value associated with Yamano guitars - amongst those who are aware of what they represent or even care.

I own a Yamano guitar. It is a very unique custom shop LP Special with a Bigsby and a finish that is much more true to the originals that was never released in the US. I've never seen another. The price was actually relatively low. I explained to the seller (on Reverb) that this is a Yamano guitar. He really didn't care. He just wanted to sell the guitar. I did care and I bought it.

5 hours ago, Biker13 said:

There is no such thing as a Japanese Custom Shop. No Gibson guitars are built  in Japan that are of a superior quality to an American Gibson.

I'm not sure you meant to say that. To be clear, Gibson guitars are only made in the USA. 

I own a Yamano guitar. It is a very unique custom shop LP Special with a Bigsby and a finish that is much more true to the originals that was never released in the US.

What are the originals you refer to ??? 

53 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I'm not sure you meant to say that. To be clear, Gibson guitars are only made in the USA. 

What are the originals you refer to ??? 

To the first question, I just read it as “Nobody is building Gibsons in Japan, [much less ones] that would be better than the US ones.” I think Biker is just clarifying all Yamano Gibsons found in Japan are high end ones the dealer selected from US made stock. 

8 hours ago, Biker13 said:

I own a Yamano guitar. It is a very unique custom shop LP Special with a Bigsby and a finish that is much more true to the originals that was never released in the US...

If the Yamano guy had to use the restroom and he missed that one, or he had a slight cold and was not quite paying attention, or he just didn't like it, it would be the same as any other Custom Shop job.  He picks them.  They pick them.  There is nothing at all different about them.  I could simply say that my Custom Shop guitar is one that Yamano missed, right?

rct

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PrairieDog said:

To the first question, I just read it as “Nobody is building Gibsons in Japan, [much less ones] that would be better than the US ones.” I think Biker is just clarifying all Yamano Gibsons found in Japan are high end ones the dealer selected from US made stock. 

We both infer what was meant.

Nevertheless  "No Gibson guitars are built  in Japan that are of a superior quality to an American Gibson" 

The qualifier there is highlighted. In terns of grammar, it is making a comparison between Japanese & American built Gibsons.

13 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

We both infer what was meant.

Nevertheless  "No Gibson guitars are built  in Japan that are of a superior quality to an American Gibson" 

The qualifier there is highlighted. In terns of grammar, it is making a comparison between Japanese & American built Gibsons.

Sure, I realize that. I just was cutting Biker some web-grammar slack.  Yes, it was a bit clumsy, but I understood he meant no one is building Gibson guitars in Japan. As someone who scored a 96% on their graduate school entrance language exams, and a writer and editor by trade, I gave up policing grammar on the internet long ago just to protect my sanity.   Plus it gives me an excuse to slack off 😄It would be an awful quiet place if folks had to prove they had mastery of  “there, their, and they’re”  before posting anything 😁

• Thanks 1

Thanks for giving it up! [thumbup] - I have found that intellectual mastery is one thing and 'typing-brain' seems to be quite another...regularly I re-read my posts, and only then notice they're/their or bear/bare etc ...not through lack of mastery of language, but though some 'autopilot' part of the brain that seems to infect typing [scared]

Local vernacular may also play a role - for example, you say "...someone who scored a 96% on their...", whereas where I live we would more likely say "...someone who scored 96% on their..." so, giving it up may indeed provide sanity protection [smile]

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 'Scales said:

Thanks for giving it up! [thumbup] - I have found that intellectual mastery is one thing and 'typing-brain' seems to be quite another...regularly I re-read my posts, and only then notice they're/their or bear/bare etc ...not through lack of mastery of language, but though some 'autopilot' part of the brain that seems to infect typing [scared]

Local vernacular may also play a role - for example, you say "...someone who scored a 96% on their...", whereas where I live we would more likely say "...someone who scored 96% on their..." so, giving it up may indeed provide sanity protection [smile]

😁 Oh god, exactly.  I need to post edit my posts here multiple times. I keep remedying all my “fingers too slow for brain/must include subject/verb/article in sentence” errors 😆 Like your example above.  I had originally typed “in the 96th percentile” then saw how eye-rolling pretentious that looked, changed it to 96% (as you observed would have been correct and I should have just stopped there) but then thought I’d just make it “a 96” to tone it down, but forgot to delete the % sign.  This is why you see my nick hanging round on pages for hours on end….. 🤣

• Haha 1