Gibson Brands Forums

Strap locks for ES

LPRich

So I just bought a ES 335 in Cherry, to go with my Les Paul collection. I use Schaller strap locks on my LP's and really like and trust them.

However, considering how the one strap post is located on the back of the guitar I think a Schaller type of mechanism will be poking me all the time. They stick out quite a bit.

What do you people use?  

Cheers.

I’ve been using Schaller Straplocks on all of my ES guitars & basses for years. I switched to Fender straplocks after the Schallers changed their design. They seem to be still made by Schaller & look exactly like the original Schallers. I’ve never noticed being poked by the unit.

On 2/4/2023 at 2:11 PM, LPRich said:

Trying to think of any Belgian beer which would have those. Then I’d have the washers and great beer!

haha!  Fender actually makes some "F" branded ones IIRC

but to use them and the like, I think you have to leave the strap on when it's cased, which to me is just not an ideal solution.

Edited by kidblast

1 hour ago, LPRich said:

Leaving the strap on in the case is a bit dodgy if its leather. I’ve read the leather can react with the nitro finish. Of course mine are never in the case anyway.

you're correct,     

I use wide brushed leather or suede straps and they are just too bulky for that anyway, so I always remove them when the guitar goes back in the case after I'm done with it.

All the cool kids can use the beer cap washers.   Schaller strap locks work just fine for me.  

15 hours ago, kidblast said:

haha!  Fender actually makes some "F" branded ones IIRC

but to use them and the like, I think you have to leave the strap on when it's cased, which to me is just not an ideal solution.

No, it's a bit fiddly but no difficult getting them on or off.

• Thanks 1

Yeah, I was also going to suggest a locking strap, as another way to go.  I forget the brand, but the one I have has a rotating locking part that is very secure around small posts.  The only thing to be aware of is whether the locking mechanism on the strap end will rub on the back of the guitar....

• 2 weeks later...