Gibson Brands Forums

Bluebird prep help?

AnneS

Next month, I’m doing another workshop in Nashville, this time with Suzy Bogguss, and it culminates in a Sunday evening songwriters showcase at the Bluebird Cafe. We’ll  each get to perform 2 songs. In a couple of weeks, I need to send her my songs, plus one alternate. I think I have my first choice locked in (Gravity—and hoping she’ll add harmonies!), but I’m flitting back and forth among 3 other choices for the No. 2 and alternate selections.

So…if you have nothing better to do and are interested in weighing in, I could sure use some help from you folks, who have been such a helpful sounding board over the years. (I was going to set this up as a poll, but I couldn’t figure it out.) 

You could: rank the options (1-4); give me a 1 and a 2; or tell me which one to leave out. Of course, helpful comments are welcome. (At this stage, song selection is key—we’ll be working on performance aspects during the workshop, so you needn’t make that a criteria here.)

Here are the songs (which some of you will recognize):

1. Gravity  https://song.space/3p6tq9

2. Tribe  https://song.space/3bgyfq

3. Died Young https://song.space/3rmtda

4. In Parting  https://song.space/3l456j

All of these are well-received when I play them live, but which do YOU think are best suited for my turn at the famed (gulp!) Bluebird?

Ready? Go!

🫣

Edited by AnneS
  • Like 1

I would be afraid of "Tribe" in this weird, convoluted, political landscape. Which is a sad commentary of the times, indeed. Even baseball teams are changing their names. I actually love the song, but we're in strange times.

In Parting wouldn't play. Expired it said.

That leaves me with "Died Young", which I like a lot.

You're a fine writer Anne, and I love your voice/acoustic guitar work.

I've played the Bluebird (nearly 20 years ago, sheese...) it's just another bar. Well, except that they actually shut up and listen. Which does make it kinda scary because they are TOO quiet sometimes. And they're staring at you. Quietly. Waiting....

Just messin' with ya.

It's just another bar. Kick their butts!

Really looking forward to it, Murph—esp now that I’ll be following in your footsteps! 
Maybe the In Parting Link is fixed? If not, I’ll move it over to soundcloud later. 

The edginess of Tribe is kinda why I’m intrigued by putting it out there. I remember the lively discussion we had on this very board, back when I first wrote it. Hmmm…

I'm Swedish, but I think I kind of get the potentially dividing aspect of “Tribe”. I guess the interpretation of the lyrics depends on the listener's point of view. They can either be interpreted literally, or to mean the exact opposite. I think I know what you aim to say. Springsteen has a song called “We Take Care of Our Own” that has that same duality. Your song is better. I do think “Tribe” is great and that it should be one of the two, but at the same time I realize that is easy for me to say…

I also think “Died Young” stands out. A great tune, with a bluntness in the lyrics that is refreshing and might surprise a few listeners and make them pay attention. It reminds me of the Morrissey song “Unhappy Birthday” with lines like “I've come to wish you an unhappy birthday, because you’re evil and you lie”. Not exactly the sentiment one expects to hear in a song. 

Whatever you pick to play, I wish you the best of luck. Your songs are great!

Lars

22 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

I don’t know what that bar is? But I know if it’s a good place you belong there.

It's a Nashville songwriter showcase for original music. 

Garth played there when nobody knew his name, it was instrumental in him getting signed.

See what I did there....

19 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Great Link -  thanks BK7...        There was a TV series  "Nashville'  that ran maybe 7 seasons.  It frequently filmed in The Bluebird, gave it lots of indirect praise.  Co-incidentally, produced by T Bone Walker - Gibson acoustic guitars were far more used than any other.  

I think you mean T-Bone Burnett.....music producer enlisted at the beginning with high aims of giving the show some ‘authentic’ country......which he did!

But then they went soap, Dallas sort of style with foofy drama and I don’t know but T-Bone was probably long gone......

I have seen a few old movies with the Bluebird in it, but can’t find anything about them.

The other famous movie was ‘Thing called love’ with Rivet Phoenix, Sandra Bullock and a whole cast of musos...

BluesKing777.

4 hours ago, BluesKing777 said:

I think you mean T-Bone Burnett.....music producer enlisted at the beginning with high aims of giving the show some ‘authentic’ country......which he did!

But then they went soap, Dallas sort of style with foofy drama and I don’t know but T-Bone was probably long gone......

I have seen a few old movies with the Bluebird in it, but can’t find anything about them.

The other famous movie was ‘Thing called love’ with Rivet Phoenix, Sandra Bullock and a whole cast of musos...

BluesKing777.

Yep,  Thanks BK777,  got ahead of myself: Burnett.   Important fix - thanks !    Yeah,  "Nashville' became ridiculously 'soapy'.  Sappy at the ending of the series.