Gibson Brands Forums

Worn in Elixir PB sound on an IBG HB?

ALD323

Hi all! Does anyone know what I might expect to hear as my (Elixir PB nanoweb lights .12-.53) might sound, AFTER they have fully worn in on my IBG bird? I know how the 80/20's sound after being worn in, a little darker less brightness. I know it takes a while because they are coated. . But I don't know what to expect from the PB set I put on. I do like the difference but don't know how long the PB's will take to wear in verses the 80/20's, or how the tone will be affected in the long run with the PB's.  Thanks, opinions might help me!

The Nano PB's are probably one of your best bets if you have to take the guitar out and don't want that new string zing. One of their pluses is that they already sound more mellow than other strings straight out of the box. Depending on if you play them in a handful of times, and leave the guitar out, they'll probably be settled down in maybe two weeks?

EDIT: on second thought, MAYBE three weeks, but if you like the sound of older strings, . . . 

Edited by 62burst

18 hours ago, ALD323 said:

Thank goodness you responded, seems no one else is in here anymore!

I don't think many Forum members use Elixir strings is perhaps why there are few responses to your thread.

Start a thread about bacon....

1 hour ago, hojo199 said:

I use the Elixirs mostly on guitars that don't get played as often because they can sit in the case forever and never lose that new string sound.

That's why I use them on some guitars. I was originally impressed with them I had a working musician friend try a set. After two weeks the coating was peeling off, but he said he normally only gets one week out of a set.

I use Elixirs, but only on my Inspired by Texan Epiphone. It's the campfire guitar here - quite a shame I never go to campfire-parties anymore.

Last time I played around a fire was in the summer of 2012 -  among others did the one below and a very fine'n'nice jazz guitarist who always scared me chimed in.                                                                                          It was in the middle of the night in a big garden belonging to a big mansion. A rock'n'roll priest who played Fender bass in my mid80s band had just moved in there.                                                                                                                                                                                             The whole scene was connected to his church.

20 hours ago, Dave F said:

That's why I use them on some guitars. I was originally impressed with them I had a working musician friend try a set. After two weeks the coating was peeling off, but he said he normally only gets one week out of a set.

I never had any real issues with them. It's mostly a question of what i am trying to accomplish with a string change. Sometimes I want to wake the guitar up, and, for me, these strings do that.