Gibson Brands Forums

What's Your Plan?

Murph

22 minutes ago, Murph said:

I think my daughter is buying a "fixer upper" house.

I'll be happy to help her with things and she'll soon be a homeowner with no debt. 

Bright kid.

I like hearing that. hopefully it's not a huge fixer upper.  I bought a 110 yr old project 24 years ago ...  boy, it's been a project. but it's a 2 minute walk to the river from the front door, so thats where my retirement fishing plan comes into play 

Edited by Karloff
  • Thanks 1

Mine is well over a hundred years old.

Hers was probably built in the 50's, yea it needs a lot of work, but she'll be debt free.

It has a view of the Mighty Ohio and is above flood line. I'm proud of her for taking this on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Murph said:

Hers was probably built in the 50's, yea it needs a lot of work, but she'll be debt free.

It has a view of the Mighty Ohio and is above flood line. I'm proud of her for taking this on.

thats great ...

1 hour ago, Murph said:

If it was built in the 50's, you'll be over there fixing the leaky galvanized steel drain lines soon enough, lol.

1 hour ago, Murph said:

It's newer than my house('48) so it really shouldn't need all that much work.   Unless the previous owners were real schlubs.   

But I wish her the best of luck.  I've been involved with a few of those "projects" and know they can be frustrating at times.  My oldest just got through a huge reno project at her house and she's quite exhausted by it all.

Whitefang

I'll need a new riding mower this year for the cabin property.

Might go looking today, man the prices on the large/better garden tractors have tripled.

The zero turns are holding steady due to the competition I suppose.

Another rainy day in Northern California..... wasn't really gonna do anything outside today anyway.

Working on an arrangement of a Doors song, but I only do that until the wife gets up....then I'll go sit with the dog in the family room.

Our son relocated his old Cadillac into our garage, so my truck is now sitting outside....doesn't make me happy..... he's putting his house up for sale and

plans to move soon into a bigger house, (they outgrew their house 2 kids ago).

That's about it for a rainy Sunday around here.

21 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Our son relocated his old Cadillac into our garage, so my truck is now sitting outside....doesn't make me happy..... 

What year is this "old" Caddy?

They actually get cooler with age.

1 hour ago, Murph said:

1 hour ago, Murph said:

1968 (I think).   He actually drives an Escalade and his wife drives a Cadillac SRX.   His very first car was a Cadillac Seville, so he got to be known as a "Cadillac Guy"

https://www.facebook.com/cameron.birdwell.5/videos/473012627618732

2 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:
HDR Photos from the Cadillac Ranch in Amarillo, Texas

A  suggestion if  he outstays his welcome ...  

I actually visited this place when I was working in Amarillo!

The plan was to keep his Caddy here until he 'reconfigured' his garage....but now they've decided to just move..... so it might be a few more months until I can get it out of my garage!

I've been there. Been through Texas many times, almost went to jail in Odessa once. Been to Luckenbach.

I'm putting my old truck box on my new (now it's old, 2016) truck today.

Time to get the tools organized for summer projects.

15 minutes ago, Murph said:

I've been there. Been through Texas many times, almost went to jail in Odessa once. Been to Luckenbach.

I'm putting my old truck box on my new (now it's old, 2016) truck today.

Time to get the tools organized for summer projects.

I got rid of all my 'toy' cars so I didn't have to spend so much time in the garage....

Hope you have some help putting  on the toolbox.

So Monday night my daughter sends a text.

"Hot water?"

Damn. I know what that means without looking.

Another lower element. This is the 3rd for this Whirlpool. Yea, our water is hard but I swear they make these crappier each time. I got 6 years out of the original, then 4 out of the second, now less than 3 out of the last one.

Took all day yesterday to get to it, diagnose, drain that puppy, chase the part and swap it out, then I was ready for a hot shower.

That was NOT my original plan for Tuesday.....

1 hour ago, Murph said:

So Monday night my daughter sends a text.

"Hot water?"

Damn. I know what that means without looking.

Another lower element. This is the 3rd for this Whirlpool. Yea, our water is hard but I swear they make these crappier each time. I got 6 years out of the original, then 4 out of the second, now less than 3 out of the last one.

Took all day yesterday to get to it, diagnose, drain that puppy, chase the part and swap it out, then I was ready for a hot shower.

That was NOT my original plan for Tuesday.....

UGH!    Our water heater is 75 gallons....so when it went out a couple of years ago, I just paid a plumber to replace it, (the original was installed when the house was built in1978).

If I tried to do it, I would have ended up in the hospital!

Today is very wet here.  Great coffeehouse weather and that’s where I’m at until 2pm.  Love this gig.  Been here over ten years and it’s like being in the bar on “Cheers!”  Everyone knows my name.

https://imgur.com/a/qCfwWGk

Edited by MissouriPicker
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Pulled weeds in backyard for 3 hours. Kept thinking “if I’d done this 2 weeks ago, there would have been half as many.  “

I have to buy a riding mower for my cabin property in the next few weeks. I've always used 46" garden mowers, around 20/22 HP. The first one cost $750 back in 1999, a Murray. The second one was around 2007 and it was an Ariens and cost around $1200. The 3rd was around 2015 Husqvarna and cost about $1500.

Now those are around $2500 and up.

I might buy a zero turn this time and try to stretch the life for 10/12 years. 

11 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Like playing guitar.

Yes...that's one of the things..... I'll probably make brownies this morning before my wife gets up, (they're her favorite).

The News calls what we're having as an "atmospheric river"   heavy rain starting yesterday through next Tuesday.

I woke up this morning about 2:30 and could hear it was raining "like a cow pi$$ing on a flat rock" (I grew up next door to a dairy).

Garage got wet, (not too bad....yet).