Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Acoustic Factory Action

Hype

I’m reviewing the “Pre-Pack Checklist” on my new Dove and the Action at the 12th Fret is L: 5/64 and H: 3/64.

I’m beginning to wonder if Gibson just writes down the standard preferred action instead of the actual action?

When I got the guitar at the 12th I measured L:9/64 H: 7/64. I find it too hard to believe that the “climate” or environmental conditions would change it that drastically. Considering it’s been in its case the whole time..

I like low action like most people. What do you guys keep your action at (at the 12th)?

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

Personally, I do not do any adjustments for at least a few months to let it settle into the new environment.

I am in the same camp. Boy there is so much going on with a new guitar, glue drying, finish drying, wood settling in and yes temp and humidity. Montana is certainly different in humidity and temps than North Carolina. What you see on day one may be completely different in a few months.

9 hours ago, slimt said:

Weather, humidity, dryness play havoc on action, tops, neck issues.   If you bought new. Does the dealer offer a free set up upon purchase? 

They do, but I don’t trust a big box store tech. They do shitty work (most just do a string change anyways and don’t take the time even on high end guitars). Also don’t want to leave my guitar there for a week….My last experience with my Hummingbird was enough to not do that again (they only closed one latch on the case, and the straplock I asked to be installed on the heel of the neck was not even centered). Would rather it do it myself…

8 hours ago, Dave F said:

Personally, I do not do any adjustments for at least a few months to let it settle into the new environment.

Actually this is good advice..Sometimes when you get a new guitar the first thing is to get it setup right away. For electric it isn’t too much of a big deal, but for acoustic…Agreed. I think I should wait.

50 minutes ago, Murph said:

I hate a low action. Especially on an acoustic. 

I like high action, high tension, digging in and grab a root and grunt.

Great for slide work, too.

Depends on your playin style. High action definitely for slide. Playin leads, I’m more into low, why work so hard?

I dunno Murph  Everyone likes what they like  I get it.

At 5/64s ~ 4/64s tone had no change for me from 7/64s  ~ 6/64s which is where my J200 arrived at  

The difference in playability was of course ->  incredible.

I recently got a used 2001 J 150 that had the pre pack checklist in the case. It showed the action at 5/64" at the low E, 12th fret. It seemed hi to me, I've played strictly electric for the last 40 yrs, I measured and it was exactly 5/64". Not bad for a 20+ yr old guitar.I removed the piezo and bought it down to 4/64" and I will live with that.

There is an ideal distance between the strings and the soundhole. Someone posted a comparo a while back and it just sounded like the string height was too low- sure, it didn't buzz, but there were no dynamics. . . it was flat. This whole "I gotta have super low action because I'm used to an electric, (or I don't have decades of acoustic guitar calluses)" just leaves so much of the guitar still on the shelf.

• Thanks 1

Hi - a low action person here. I go so low that ordinary radar-systems don't get me, , , for then to strike with severe results. . . 

My for some controversial philosophy is                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       If you meet the royal prince, , , or maybe even the king, indeed the princess, you want to share the night on the dangerous'n'dirty side of town.                                                                                                                                                 And end up drunk on the canal-dock before the rising sun.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       The real gold lies in the suspense of opposites. Like a jewel in the mud, there's a point in the friction.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 [thumbup]

3 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Hi - a low action person here. I go so low that ordinary radar-systems don't get me, , , for then to strike with severe results. . . 

My for some controversial philosophy is                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       If you meet the royal prince, , , or maybe even the king, indeed the princess, you want to share the night on the dangerous'n'dirty side of town.                                                                                                                                                 And end up drunk on the canal-dock before the rising sun.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       The real gold lies in the suspense of opposites. Like a jewel in the mud, there's a point in the friction.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 [thumbup]

I'm going to go roll up a big fatty and then read your bit again. Might work.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, olie said:

I'm going to go roll up a big fatty and then read your bit again. Might work.

Hahe, , , as said in the NGD Gibson Sj45-thread, Im just in a terrifyingly good mood. And btw. clean as a well-diggers a.. . . . . . .        

Must be the music. . 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Murph said:

Tone, Grasshopper.

It's all about the tone.

I notice a difference in Tone when it comes to the type of guitar and its woods, the strings you use. But seldom with action…Just my opinion.

8 hours ago, Hype said:

I notice a difference in Tone when it comes to the type of guitar and its woods, the strings you use. But seldom with action…Just my opinion.

If you don't hear it, it makes perfect sense.

Carry on.

On 3/8/2023 at 11:18 AM, Hype said:

I’m reviewing the “Pre-Pack Checklist” on my new Dove and the Action at the 12th Fret is L: 5/64 and H: 3/64.

I’m beginning to wonder if Gibson just writes down the standard preferred action instead of the actual action?

When I got the guitar at the 12th I measured L:9/64 H: 7/64. I find it too hard to believe that the “climate” or environmental conditions would change it that drastically. Considering it’s been in its case the whole time..

I like low action like most people. What do you guys keep your action at (at the 12th)?

Sorry, Hype, things got away from your OP. First- that 3/64 has got to be a typo. That's .04687" hi E at the 12? A low action for an Electric would be .059" @12th.

I actually don't even think about the measurements on the Pre Pack Checklist. I just like that a human has written it. Then I pick up the guitar & see how it works.

As far my own guitars,

hi E: somewhere in the low . 060"s

low E:  .090" +/- (' have the 12-fret J-45 above .100"), all measured at the 12th fret.

1 hour ago, 62burst said:

Sorry, Hype, things got away from your OP. First- that 3/64 has got to be a typo. That's .04687" hi E at the 12? A low action for an Electric would be .059" @12th.

I actually don't even think about the measurements on the Pre Pack Checklist. I just like that a human has written it. Then I pick up the guitar & see how it works.

As far my own guitars,

hi E: somewhere in the low . 060"s

low E:  .090" +/- (' have the 12-fret J-45 above .100"), all measured at the 12th fret.

Thanks for your feedback 62burst..I’m going to lower the action a bit..Yes the action is high for me at the 12th. I agree with your sediments…What model acoustic you have?