Gibson Brands Forums

Pink Floyd - The Dark Side Of The Moon (50th Anniversary)

Rabs

It's weird but I never got into Pink Floyd.

Over the years, I came to know a lot of their songs in order to play them live with different bands and musical partners, but I literally never owned a Pink Floyd album.

Don't get me wrong, I respect their body of work, and the interesting dynamic of all the personalities of the band.
And I really love performing Another Brick In The Wall (Part 2), Wish You Were Here, Comfortably Numb, and Mother.

I did buy the Dark Side of the Moon on cd a few years ago.

😉

It was far out fifty years ago. 

It cost 4 or 5 bucks.

Now, it's somehow worth hundreds of dollars, even though we've heard it thousands of times.

I'm all for capitalism but can't keep buying the same crap over and over.

Same with the multiple Beatles re-mixes. 

I'm all for you buying it, though.

• Haha 1

On 4/3/2023 at 10:46 AM, Whitefang said:

Only reminds me that someday I'll have to get around to doing the "Dark Side/Wizard Of Oz" thing.  [wink]

Whitefang

it's pretty cool. and strange how much they align with each other

• Like 1

Unless your copy is beat to hell or there's some fabulous remaster going on, who buys this stuff?  

I'm 63, I heard it a gazillion times in Junior High School, this one guy played it non-stop.  After a while you get sick of it and don't care if you ever hear it again.

Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks, Doors, Jethro Tull, all of those oldies, great stuff but you know it note for note.  Maybe drag it out once every other year or three but that's about it.

Edited by SteveFord
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Unless your copy is beat to hell or there's some fabulous remaster going on, who buys this stuff?  

I'm 63, I heard it a gazillion times in Junior High School, this one guy played it non-stop.  After a while you get sick of it and don't care if you ever hear it again.

Beatles, Stones, Who, Kinks, Doors, Jethro Tull, all of those oldies, great stuff but you know it note for note.  Maybe drag it out once every other year or three but that's about it.

This remaster like the Animals one actually sounds a bit different to the original..  They have brought some sounds forward faded some back and in the Animals one you can hear all sorts of keys and effects that were to low to hear in the original mix..  Its kinda interesting just to listen out for the differences which you should hear if you know it that well.

Edited by Rabs

4 hours ago, Little Feat said:

It just stoner folklore. There is no way PF sat around watching The Wizard Of Oz, and decided to have their album link up to the movie.  Plus the movie is almost 2 hours long and the album is 42 minutes long.  So am I supposed to start the album over at the 43 minute mark?

Dude you need to drop the needle right after the lion roars. Hey pass the bong your Bogarting it.

I never said or suggested PF sat around and intentionally aligned their album to the movie.  it's just strange how different parts do line up with whats going on in the film.  just one of those weird things ...

3 hours ago, Little Feat said:

Well maybe,  but you need one more thing, and that is some good old stoner munchies.  Then you have your visual, audio, culinary, and mind all taken care of.

Man,  when the lady is riding the bike and the heartbeat on the record is beating, I'm just so in tune with it. No your just stoned.

Speaking of needle. I was in Wallyworld the other day, and the Live version of the album was there. $34 for a single LP. Um I think I'll pass. 

you don't need to be stoned to see & hear how different parts line up.  I've been drug free for 29 years & I see it. But, maybe you need to twist a few up.

22 hours ago, SteveFord said:

It was that way too, back in 1980 when I was shopping the various audio stores for a new sound system.  Pink Floyd's "The Wall" was still big(having come out just a few months earlier), and I have yet to have a copy.  And every audio salesman insisted on playing The Wall to show off how great some system or another sounded.  Got so sick of hearing it that I didn't want to bother with buying it until a year after I got my new home audio set up(Bang & Olufsen  Beomaster 4400 and Beovox M-75 speakers and Beogram 6000 turntable).  So you can overdo some things.

Whitefang

Edited by Whitefang

On 4/6/2023 at 3:40 PM, Little Feat said:

What exactly do you see and hear that is lining up. I've seen the movie many times and heard the album so many I know it front to back.  I did it ages ago and it was a waste of my stoned time.  And like I said am I supposed to start the LP or CD over once its done and it aligns again. Like I said Stoner Folklore. If you will buy that, I've got a '59 LP that I found under my grandfathers bed. It had been there since 1960, and its immaculate, and I only want a few hundred for it.

Welcome back Sgt Pepper/FZ Fan

• Haha 1