Gibson Brands Forums

Finish cracks

tim.taylor1

Love this guitar but can I live with these cracks. Either GC didn’t notice or ups man wasn’t nice to it. Also has a ding in the back. GC said it was “lightly played”. Think I gotta return this and try again 

2023 Flying V 70s

724CA740-EEFC-42AA-9517-99BEFBFEC808.jpeg

9DB25C3F-F5BB-4F5D-9E7F-0358AD4980BE.jpeg

51C9E098-4971-42AC-806B-F6A4F7C2762C.jpeg

Edited by tim.taylor1
Named guitar

Looks like finish checking which probably started at the nut

A tiny bit of checking and a single ding on the back sounds very lightly played to me. Guitar players are really impossible to make happy. You give them the finish they want and they complain about it. You change the finish and they complain about it

I think you’re the only one who tried to imply this is brand new but I’m not really following your point. The OP said GC described the guitar as “lightly played”. Based on the OP’s description of the guitar, the guitar is in “lightly played” condition

8 hours ago, kidblast said:

that's too bad, I am not usually a fan of V's but something about that one catches my eye

Hope you find another

I agree. I’m a sucker for a white Flying V and this one really knocks it out with the white headstock face and bound fretboard.

only things I’d change would be a new pickguard that doesn’t use rings and put covers on the pickups 

btw I did not add that smiley face thing to your post little feat I don’t like when people do that to a post I replied to because it looks like it was me. 

If you replaced this with another white V you should definitely expect finish checking at least somewhere down the line. I don’t buy that the wood was “shocked”. You basically either broke wood fibers or you didn’t, the wood doesn’t know a difference either way. I don’t see evidence of broken wood but I’m not the ultimate expert

It’s a 2023 that has that going on, time to try again. Used generally to me qualifies a previous owner or even attempted previous owner - bought guitar then turned it in. Why would GC say lightly played as some detail about the guitar? I seem to smell a rat… my thing is funny business with guitars, hard pass. Plenty of wires, wood, and paint out there to pick up. Good luck. 

12 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I agree. I’m a sucker for a white Flying V and this one really knocks it out with the white headstock face and bound fretboard.
only things I’d change would be a new pickguard that doesn’t use rings and put covers on the pickups 

yea, that would definitely seal the deal.

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

I think they are dead ringers for finish cracks, the question really is how did they get there?

Most likely the package came off a cold truck and the case was opened in a warm house. At this point it would be most reasonable to assume that it was caused by the OP until more info is known

9 minutes ago, Wmachine said:
5 hours ago, kidblast said:

I think they are dead ringers for finish cracks, the question really is how did they get there?

Normally, I don't get excited by finish cracks.  They happen.  But that crack is in exactly the right place and the right shape for a headstock break.

I learned something new today....I would definitely send that back.

13 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

You didn’t learn anything you just experienced a mild case of confirmation bias. This finish checking literally is not even following the grain direction of the supposed break

So you say.  You can try learning now yourself.  This was just posted on this very forum.

https://forum.gibson.com/topic/173736-re-adam-jones-les-paul-standard-broken-headstock/

2 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

You didn’t learn anything you just experienced a mild case of confirmation bias. This finish checking literally is not even following the grain direction of the supposed break

How could it be confirmation bias if I didn't have any previous beliefs, it was new information  to me.

16 hours ago, Wmachine said:

Normally, I don't get excited by finish cracks.  They happen.  But that crack is in exactly the right place and the right shape for a headstock break.

yes,  eggz-actly what I see too.