Gibson Brands Forums

Calton Cases - Gibson Signature Series

BluesKing777

Ok, so say I have the 16-1700 for the purchase.  Like many others, I’ll maybe take my beeeyoootiful J-45 (aren’t they all though?) out to a jam or open mic where I’ll showcase my mediocre talent and THIS CASE….man, I’d really feel pretentious.

I already feel a little pretentious having the guitars I have🤦‍♂️

But yeah, what a case!  Were I gigging regularly though, you thought those blue Martin hardshell molded cases were “steal me” cases?!  Security fees would be exorbitant!

41 minutes ago, G Man said:

For a while Gibson had these in stock on their web site for $1215, a veritable steal apparently.  https://www.gibson.com/en-US/Collection/cases  Looks like they still have some models in stock at that price.

I actually just bought one of these at that price, shipped free in the continental US.  I have been looking for a pre owned Calton for a while without success and now with a new one from Calton being $1750, I put this in my cart and finalized the transaction wondering whether it would fulfil.  Picking it up at the package holding spot on Thursday.  

It is an exorbitant amount of $$$ for a case but I have 3 slope shoulder dreads including a vintage J-45 that I like to haul around to buddies places, to play with my band or take to the cottage (but not all at once).  Plus I suspect it will look pretty great on the case rack when not in use!

Edited by jheath
  • Like 1

I saw the Gibson Signature Calton cases discussed on another forum where somebody was seeking a case for a newly acquired Banner LG2.  Normally I would think that unless you were spending a ton of time on the road with a guitar you would have to be on puppy chow to lay out the kind of scratch a Calton case runs.  But I also recall when I snagged my first Banner thinking that most "over the counter" cases while good enough for my 1950s Gibsons, was just not going to cut it for the Banner.   Never underestimate the spell which at Banner can cast over you.  

I have three old Gibsons in Calton cases -- 36 AL, 35 RSRG, and 36 TROJAN.  I take pictures of every thing, but it never occurred to me to photo the cases.  I never paid more than 600 for any of them.  Stupid me. I do have  this picture.

CZgoZ9h.jpg

Hmmm

• Thanks 1

I am happy with my Hiscox cases, but they only come in black or ivory!

If you go to the customiser for other cases on the Calton website linked above , you can pick all kinds of things...eg> bright red splatter finish with yellow interior! You could see that being stolen! Except at the airport.....🤔

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

2 hours ago, Fullofgas said:

Last I saw those the covering is like paper. Rips easily. Not for that money 

The Calton cases are made of multi-layered reinforced fiberglass. I have a couple of their cases. No paper like covering.

52563333002_c6ff86d3fd_c.jpg  

52564248740_ea5578f9de_c.jpg

51956999066_0b4a03408a_b.jpg