Gibson Brands Forums

Help me choose the right Gibson

MorrisrownSal

This Saturday is the memorial for my wife’s mother, who has lived with us the last six years, before hospice. We have family coming from Georgia, Nashville, DC, Boston, NY…

probably about 40 people in my home. My wife’s cousin Kim is a professional violinist/fiddler, and she asked me to accompany her as we did for my father in law’s service a decade ago. I will accompany her on Ashokan Farewell, Ishereen, and Over the Rainbow. I have three Gibsons. The J45TV, a Rosewood J45 Studio, and an LG2. We will not be amplified. I’m thinking the TV? We won’t be practicing prior, so I should pick right.

Edited by Salfromchatham

You should pick the guitar you feel is most suited to carry this task now and not least the rest of your time together. 

If this event casts a lasting shadow over you and the instrument, it must be counted in. You don't want a happy or uplifting item held down and darkened by a cloudy memory.                                                                          On the other hand it will give both the Gibson and the relationship strength'n'depth. Only you can judge the nuances of this. 

Thank you all.

EM, a powerful nuance. My wife’s dad passed in early late 2012, the day I after I brought home a quite expensive Martin M-21 Steve Earle. If you imagine the guitar, a 0000 with rich rosewood backing and a warm Alpine spruce top. It was very melodic, and a stunningly rich guitar. It also made me feel bad every time I picked it up, and left the den.

• Like 1

Love the playlist.  If fiddler Kim likes Jay Ungar you might turn her onto some of Jay's other work.  I first met him in the early-1970s when we were both living in the same neck of the woods.  Jay had recently left Cat Mother & the All Night Newsboys (he appeared on their second LP) and had put together the Putnam String County Band which issued one LP in 1973.   At mid-decade Jay took off with David Bromberg for a bit and then in the early-1980s put together Fiddle Fever.   The version of "Ashokan Farewell" heard at the beginning of the Ken Burns films was taken off Jay's second Fiddle Fever LP.

I liked the tune "Midnight on the Water" Jay recorded with Bromberg so much that when I sold Jay's wife a Guild F40, part of the deal was he had to teach it to me.  I still play it on fiddle, mandolin and guitar.

I am sorry for your loss,  and wish you and your family peace in the wake of it.

I suggest the J-45 TV, for the same sorts of reasons vintage J-45s are so popular for Texas fiddle accompaniment.  Mahogany for the drier, more fundamental quality of the sound.  The LG-2 has more projection, but you're accompanying an instrument with a penetrating tone, and the warmth and presence and low mid-range tones will better complement the violin without competing for the same audio space.