Gibson Brands Forums

Butch (Retired) Hits The Road!

Digger

Butch (Retired) has had a change of career! Grin~

On the way back from seeing the Ark replica they visited Indy and recognising talent when they see it they signed him up straight away! Of course Butch used to race his own drag cars earlier in his life.

Not bad transitioning to track racing considering his 70th birthday is tomorrow (22nd).

izrg1jK.jpg

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Good to hear from ole Digger.  Getting into that vehicle must have been hard, and not sure you could ever get out!!

Chuckle...old is an accurate description these days but I’m still here!

Butch says they just about had to lube him up to get him in there and he is a big bloke!

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

Happy Anniversary. 👍Sapphire. Sounds expensive!

Thanks, M-E.

No gifts this year....we're hoping our son will take the lead and plan a big celebration for our 50th.

There are no places left to put diamonds or sapphires on my bride.....every place is already taken!

Edited by DanvillRob
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Good to hear from ole Digger.  Getting into that vehicle must have been hard, and not sure you could ever get out!!

Hello, We just got back from our trip last night. Lots of laundry to do, Deb is picking up my carrot cake. We got Oliver back and picked up a quick dinner. Anyway, Seeing the Indy 500 reminds me of my old Drag Racing days and they had some of these race cars zooming around the track. They were fine tuning them for the 28th race. I was talking to two guys about my old race days. We were supposed to take one lap around the track but there were those cars going around it at the time and our bus had a schedule to leave. This did make my day though. Debbie and them didn't think I could get in it? Oh no, I was bound to get in, I took a long step inside like getting on a horse and then paused, I held on to the car and swung my other leg inside. Sitting down is like sitting on the floor and I wondered were my feet was supposed to go? You have to raise them up over this block and stretch them out. Oh yea, I always wanted to see what it felt like to go 200 MPH. Debbie said, "Not too bad for an old 70 year old man." Well I am 70 today. 

12 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Thanks, M-E.

No gifts this year....we're hoping our son will take the lead and plan a big celebration for our 50th.

There are no places left to put diamonds or sapphires on my bride.....every place is already taken!

Happy 50th Anniversary!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

Actually, My old race days we had a 12 point cage, That took some getting in and out, but this car was easier getting out then in.

18 hours ago, Digger said:

Chuckle...old is an accurate description these days but I’m still here!

Butch says they just about had to lube him up to get him in there and he is a big bloke!

It was tight,  Once in. But I felt like in Heaven. Made my day.  They let a lady try it and no way, she just sat on the side Lol. 

23 minutes ago, Retired said:

It was tight,  Once in. But I felt like in Heaven. Made my day.  They let a lady try it and no way, she just sat on the side Lol. 

I was trying to imagine it myself. If I'm honest, I think I'd be thrilled but scared! - but then I never did any motor racing. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Whitefang said:

And today is Butch's birthday too.(I'm typing and posting this on the morning of the 22nd) 

So please pass on my happy birthday wishes to Butch, and a happy anniversary to you and Gael as well.  [thumbup]

Whitefang

Certainly will thanks Ken.

6 hours ago, Whitefang said:

And today is Butch's birthday too.(I'm typing and posting this on the morning of the 22nd) 

So please pass on my happy birthday wishes to Butch, and a happy anniversary to you and Gael as well.  [thumbup]

Whitefang

Yes, this is the 22nd, my 70th Birthday. We had to leave and run some errands so back now. I'm not on facebook but Debbie posted on it my 70th coming and I was surprised to get a ton of Birthday cards today. We went on a 5 day vacation to see the Creation Museum, Noahs Ark, A tour through Cincinnati, a river cruise down the Ohio River with dinner on it. And then to see the Indiapolis 500. We loved the Ark but its of course way modernized with elevators,  restrooms and many other things but it was nice. We were more impressed with the size. about 3 football fields. Very tall.  But getting to sit in this race car made my day. Would have loved to take a lap around the track though. Lol. We had an authentic German dinner which which was good. Again Debbie requested an announcement to the accordian about my 70th, and he played HAPPY BIRTHDAY while the entire place sang. A bit embarrassing but I guess your 70 only once. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Thanks...I'll remember that 5 years from now!  (assumin' I'm still above ground!).

Wer'e actually celebrating our 43rd Anniversary this November 17. Our last doberman was born on that day and we always celibrated his day more than ours. We met through the dog shows as I showed Dobermans for decades. so both of us love dogs. 

4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I was trying to imagine it myself. If I'm honest, I think I'd be thrilled but scared! - but then I never did any motor racing. 

I once was told to give a channel 3 news guy a ride down the Quarter Mile. By the officials there. He had a camera and I was supposed let a car get ahead of me so he could film it. My line lock on the shifter stuck and I couldn't release it, so he got out way ahead of me. Finally it erased and our Dodge Colt, (All Chevy powered,) Launched hard and I shot right by him and later he told me he had a heck of a time trying to catch me. Lol.  I told him, I was so far ahead, I was on the brakes trying to let him catch up. Our car did a wheel stand off the line and once back in the pits, the camera guy said to his crew,  "Never again! he crapped his pants and was trying to hold on to the roll cage All the way down."  I tried to tell them the whole thing was illegal as there were no seat harnes on the passengerseat.  Thought it was funny then. 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Digger said:

Oh crikey! It’s neither my anniversary or my birthday fellas, but thanks for the thought. I put this up for my mate Butch because he has trouble posting pics.

I thought you already celebrated your Anniversary. 

3 hours ago, Retired said:

Wer'e actually celebrating our 43rd Anniversary this November 17. Our last doberman was born on that day and we always celibrated his day more than ours. We met through the dog shows as I showed Dobermans for decades. so both of us love dogs. 

You know, my wife and I have been showing grogs fir over 25 years.     We’re both judges.

• Like 1