Gibson Brands Forums

1946 Gibson Southern Jumbo slope-shoulder guitar for sale

RBSinTo

8 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I'd have to skip lunch for an entire week to be able to afford this!

Rob,

Keep in mind that you pay for lunches in US dollars, and this guitar is priced in CDN dollars, so you might only have to skip lunches for four or five days to afford it.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

31 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Rob,

Keep in mind that you pay for lunches in US dollars, and this guitar is priced in CDN dollars, so you might only have to skip lunches for five or five days to afford it.

RBSinTo

Okay...thanks for the info.

Back in about 1962 or so, I bought an acoustic guitar in Alberta.... was $20 (Canadian).    I gave the guy a $20 bill (US) and he gave me back a $1 bill (US) and I walked out with the guitar!

While in U.S. dollars that price tag is more than double what I have invested in the purchase and restoration of my '42 J50 and is over $3K more than what I laid out for my '32 L1 (which remains the most I have ever spent on a guitar) all in all it is not a bad price.  But apparently my lack of GAS is holding strong as while I might have been tempted a few years back, these days not even the slightest twinge of "me want.".

15 minutes ago, the other side said:

I think I'd find a different place to eat for a while.

I live in a small town in the San Francisco Bay Area..... heck, it costs me $3 to open my mailbox!

In reality, my wife and I buy dinner out on Fridays....we don't eat out, we pick up or have it delivered...... a normal 'take-out' dinner will be $70.

(Tonight is the night!).

5 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

I live in a small town in the San Francisco Bay Area..... heck, it costs me $3 to open my mailbox!

In reality, my wife and I buy dinner out on Fridays....we don't eat out, we pick up or have it delivered...... a normal 'take-out' dinner will be $70.

(Tonight is the night!).

I’m in the Midwest, and it’s only 1.50 for the mailbox thing, but I empathize with the takeout.  And yeah, Friday is that day.

edit for guitar content:  yeah, I’m not buying that..I’d love to of course, but, well..y know.

Edited by Gibson29
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

(Tonight is the night!).

Please excuse my naïveté and the digression -  but  what do you mean it costs you $3 to open your mailbox?   I know SF has some unique approaches to daily living but I thought mailboxes were directly 'linked' to the USPS and Feds. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Please excuse my naïveté and the digression -  but  what do you mean it costs you $3 to open your mailbox?   I know SF has some unique approaches to daily living but I thought mailboxes were directly 'linked' to the USPS and Feds. 

I was being hyperbolic.... I was just pointing out that in this area, EVERYTHING is very expensive....it's why many move out when they retire.

My cousin, who I've lived near all my life, just moved to South Carolina because he couldn't afford to live here anymore.

1946 Gibson flattops are fantastic. In fact, they are nearly Good Enough. 🙂

Seriously, I spent a couple of decades buying vintage guitars with the goal of selling enough of them to cover the cost of my remaining collection with the net profit of the sales. A few years ago, I accomplished my goal. I sold about a dozen vintage Gibsons (and one Larson) and netted enough from the sales (sale price minus my purchase price of the guitars) to cover the purchase price of the guitars I kept.

Yes, I've read many posts over the years that vintage guitars are overpriced compared to the price of new guitars.  But, well, I now possess a "free" collection of a couple of dozen extraordinary guitars.

12 hours ago, jt said:

1946 Gibson flattops are fantastic. In fact, they are nearly Good Enough. 🙂

Seriously, I spent a couple of decades buying vintage guitars with the goal of selling enough of them to cover the cost of my remaining collection with the net profit of the sales. A few years ago, I accomplished my goal. I sold about a dozen vintage Gibsons (and one Larson) and netted enough from the sales (sale price minus my purchase price of the guitars) to cover the purchase price of the guitars I kept.

Yes, I've read many posts over the years that vintage guitars are overpriced compared to the price of new guitars.  But, well, I now possess a "free" collection of a couple of dozen extraordinary guitars.

John, that's much the way I think about real estate in California.

VERY expensive to get started, but once you do....you can live in a beautiful home...for free!    (except for Property Taxes).

My favorite Gibson of all time is a 1940s script logo guitar.  My least favorite was also a 1940s guitar sporting a script logo.  I still think if I could go back in time and have a talk with my younger self, I would tell him to keep the block logo guitar I traded for that particular older instrument.  At the time though my much younger me would have claimed anyone offering such advice would have to be on puppy chow.  But several script logo Gibsons later that trade remains the biggest guitar mistake I have ever made.

Edited by zombywoof

8 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

VERY expensive to get started, but once you do....you can live in a beautiful home...for free!    (except for Property Taxes).

Ha! I should have been thinking on a larger scale!

22 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

Here in the rusted Heartland you can buy a cheap run down house, spend thousands getting it livable, and sell in a few years and only lose  60/80 %.

43 minutes ago, Murph said:

Here in the rusted Heartland you can buy a cheap run down house, spend thousands getting it livable, and sell in a few years and only lose  60/80 %.

Many folks sell their house in California...move to another state..... which is great.....but they know they can NEVER move back!