Gibson Brands Forums

New Deck Day

IanHenry

On 5/18/2023 at 6:11 AM, IanHenry said:

I've just finished listening to Yes's Close to the Edge and I was stunned by the depth and clarity compared to digital music reproduction, there are guitar lick's in there that I haven't heard in years, and the amount of work that went into making some of those classic albums is amazing but nowadays with digital, no one hears it.

I kind of dig C T T E. I think since that photo I got at least 2 more copies of it.  I have the definitive version they did several years back. I think I forgot to put that one in the photo. I had it when I took the pic. I just spaced out.  On the blue ray there is a version of the album that is all instrumental. Steven Wilson did all the studio albums from The Yes Album to Relayer and all have a blue ray with an instrumental version of the album. 

5JM8gr3.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

On 5/18/2023 at 10:45 PM, jdgm said:

......My most recent 'upgrade' is a digital coaxial cable between the Arcam CD player and the amp, which enables me to use the DAC in the amp. 

And CDs sound even better using it.   The DAC in the CD player is nearly 20 yrs older than the one in the amp I am now hearing by using this cable.  I  paid £11(GBP) inc post though you can pay a lot more. 

....Which I am going to do sooner or later as I'm viewing info on MC cartridges, phono stages, valve phono stages. 

:-k    [rolleyes]

Edited by jdgm

28 minutes ago, jdgm said:

And CDs sound even better using it.   The DAC in the CD player is nearly 20 yrs older than the one in the amp I am now hearing by using this cable.  I  paid £11(GBP) inc post though you can pay a lot more. 

....Which I am going to do sooner or later as I'm viewing info on MC cartridges, phono stages, valve phono stages. 

:-k    [rolleyes]

I think with an MC cartridge you need a separate and additional pre-amp for the the turntable. I have MM on my tonearm.  Those MC cartridges can get damn pricey.

17 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think with an MC cartridge you need a separate and additional pre-amp for the the turntable. I have MM on my tonearm.  Those MC cartridges can get damn pricey.

Yep. 

I can get a much better MM cartridge for upwards of £350 or I can put the money towards a MC and a phono stage/preamp for it.   You can get small valve phono stages now and I'd like to try one.   I could even buy a cheap Chinese one off ebay but....hmm....not sure about that.

Edited by jdgm

These days I'm using this receiver;

(Nakamichi TA-4A)

7ac1be1b2675679d83ad50aaa36438df.jpg

With this CD player(Nakamichi CD-4)

50219162_934.jpg

Through this sub(M&K MX-70B)                                      And these sats(M&K S X-7)

s-l640.jpg                                 s-l300.jpg

The receiver is in dire need of cleaning, and once done will provide a very nice sound.  But still not as rich as the B&O.

Whitefang

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

(Nakamichi TA-4A)

50219162_934.jpg

Through this sub(M&K MX-70B)                                      And these sats(M&K S X-7)

The receiver is in dire need of cleaning, and once done will provide a very nice sound.  But still not as rich as the B&O.

Whitefang

When I was in Japan the only Nachamichi I bought was a tape deck. I should have bought the Dragon, but I didn't. In the exchange in Yokosuka they had separate rooms of audio gear, Nacamichi, Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha, B. & W (I should have bought some of those speakers), Infinity, and of course Sony. In the exchange you could even buy a Harley and have it shipped back to the states.

56 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Yep. 

I can get a much better MM cartridge for upwards of £350 or I can put the money towards a MC and a phono stage/preamp for it.   You can get small valve phono stages now and I'd like to try one.   I could even buy a cheap Chinese one off ebay but....hmm....not sure about that.

My hearing has been wrecked by concerts, and working in engine rooms for years. The amount of $ spent on an MC cartridge and then the pre-amp I will need will just be a waste of money for me.

The cones have started to perish and split on one pair of Acoustic Research speakers I have (I have them in different rooms), I stuck a few pieces of insulating tape over the splits and you really can't hear any difference.  That's real HiFi 😆 

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

When I was in Japan the only Nachamichi I bought was a tape deck. I should have bought the Dragon, but I didn't. In the exchange in Yokosuka they had separate rooms of audio gear, Nacamichi, Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha, B. & W (I should have bought some of those speakers), Infinity, and of course Sony. In the exchange you could even buy a Harley and have it shipped back to the states.

In the audio dealer store I bought my B&O stuff from they had a Mitsubishi system for sale.  Sounded real good.  But I couldn't help but ask a salesman;  "How many miles to the gallon does it get?"  [wink]

And every time I see a TV ad for Mitsubishi cars I wonder how many watts per channel does it put out?   [biggrin]

Whitefang

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/21/2023 at 10:04 AM, Whitefang said:

(Nakamichi TA-4A)

50219162_934.jpg

Whitefang

I'm betting you have a Nak Dragon Tape deck too. Nice gear!

I was all excited to post on this thread about my newly completed Gemini PDT-6000 barn find (free), restoration that I just finished, and the Audio Technica VM 95 E carriage/stylus I bought for it, until I saw the gear ya'll have. (No I don't use the various "DJ" bells and whistles it has, BTW.) But, it is the best sounding phonograph I have ever owned, and the reaction my younger friends (who only know "digital" music), have when listening to vinyl on it, is priceless.

image.jpeg.67e72a42f365706d9c4d7cae10ed0c88.jpeg

32 minutes ago, IanHenry said:

If it's "it is the best sounding phonograph I have ever owned" that's great, you couldn't ask for anything more 👍

To clarify my statement about my "new" phonograph being "the best phonograph I ever owned", it is important to note that the three other decks I have consist of a Winnie the Pooh plastic travel deck that literally has a single 3 inch speaker (mono) and no audio out ports, a Panasonic deck with a cartridge that is integrated into the tone arm, and a Technics SL-6 that varies RPM's between 33 1/3 and 24, despite it being direct drive. LOL Thanks, though, for your vote of confidence, (or pity). I am OK with either. 

Edited by Sheepdog1969
typo

7 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

I'm betting you have a Nak Dragon Tape deck too. Nice gear!

Nope.  Got the Nak  Stasis after giving up listening to tapes.  No need for the Dragon.  But a co-worker had one.  Damn thing WAS awsome!

Whitefang

• Like 1