Gibson Brands Forums

Flying V Fatigue

cammo

Flying V Fatigue  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Anyone here feeling fatigued from the recent V's Gibson has been releasing?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/25/2023 at 11:00 PM

There's been a great deal of focus on the Flying V's lately and since I'm not much of a Flying V-player, I was curious if anyone here is feeling all the V love. Anyone? Just me? Curious to hear thoughts.

Im certainly sick of the cost of the things..  For a fairly basic guitar design (slab body) the cost is crazy..  One of the latest ones is an 80s V at the cost of $2499  which is just silly..  What about the guitar is worth that? (let alone the $15k Hammet one or the $7k Mustaine one). 

And actually I used to keep a good eye on the Gibson page in the old days..  Since Henry has gone and they have kept the line up basically the same its all got a bit boring. All we get that is really new are artist models that most of us cant even afford, mod shop which are also over expensive and now the new Vintage ones that are (probably) so expensive they dont even advertise the prices.... So I dont look much any more, they mostly seem to be catering to the rich folk.

Edited by Rabs

4 hours ago, Rabs said:

Im certainly sick of the cost of the things..  For a fairly basic guitar design (slab body) the cost is crazy..  One of the latest ones is an 80s V at the cost of $2499  which is just silly..  What about the guitar is worth that? (let alone the $15k Hammet one or the $7k Mustaine one). 

And actually I used to keep a good eye on the Gibson page in the old days..  Since Henry has gone and they have kept the line up basically the same its all got a bit boring. All we get that is really new are artist models that most of us cant even afford, mod shop which are also over expensive and now the new Vintage ones that are (probably) so expensive they dont even advertise the prices.... So I dont look much any more, they mostly seem to be catering to the rich folk.

Come on Rabs. Prices are sky high on every American well-made guitar. You guys who buy Gibson's want them to say USA Made. Well, then you gotta pay US craftsmen the wages  they deserve and demand. So what is a LP? Just a slab of wood with another slab of wood glued on top, right?  Some binding to make it look fancy and that's it. Get some famous  guy to throw pennies at it and make it look old, and take an ice pick to it, and the price goes up by 3k or more. 

Just like you, I think the prices are way too high, but one thing they are not going to do is go down. Oh and the big boys in high places with nice comfy leather office chairs want their bonuses, and their 6 figure salary too. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Come on Rabs. Prices are sky high on every American well-made guitar. You guys who buy Gibson's want them to say USA Made. Well, then you gotta pay US craftsmen the wages  they deserve and demand. So what is a LP? Just a slab of wood with another slab of wood glued on top, right?  Some binding to make it look fancy and that's it. Get some famous guy to throw pennies and take an ice pick to it and the price goes up by 3k or more. 

Just like you, I think the prices are way too high, but one thing they are not going to do is go down. The big boys in high places want their bonuses and their 6 figure salary too. 

Which is the issue..  I get they have to make money and they went bankrupt under previous management and this is a way to make money. But the problem is as with many other industries is that it stifles creative thinking and ideas beyond who the next signature artist will be..  I mean damn, they are charging $150 for a Slash book..  And thats literally just a book, nothing else.

Theres stuff they could do to make things more interesting like use different woods for the tops. They have done stuff like that before, like they had a Zebrawood model, or how about some spalted wood or some Claro Walnut. Theres hundreds of different and interesting woods they could use. And dont make us pay thousands just for that one added extra.. Charge a few hundred on top of the usual price and you offer something unique that people can actually afford.

c28WQ9k.jpg

QQR2eoX.jpg

Xzrfi4d.jpg

How about some new designs?   One that I will always remember and think they should really do is that Less Paul. It still looks very Gibson but is different.

pyE5oeN.jpg

XgsYm5S.jpg

8x8eZKc.jpg

0ikwXvC.jpg

As it goes I just find Gibson somewhat boring at the moment. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rabs said:

Which is the issue..  I get they have to make money and they went bankrupt under previous management and this is a way to make money. But the problem is as with many other industries is that it stifles creative thinking and ideas beyond who the next signature artist will be..  I mean damn, they are charging $150 for a Slash book..  And thats literally just a book, nothing else.

Theres stuff they could do to make things more interesting like use different woods for the tops. They have done stuff like that before, like they had a Zebrawood model, or how about some spalted wood or some Claro Walnut. Theres hundreds of different and interesting woods they could use. And dont make us pay thousands just for that one added extra.. Charge a few hundred on top of the usual price and you offer something unique that people can actually afford.

c28WQ9k.jpg

QQR2eoX.jpg

Xzrfi4d.jpg

How about some new designs?   One that I will always remember and think they should really do is that Less Paul. It still looks very Gibson but is different.

pyE5oeN.jpg

XgsYm5S.jpg

8x8eZKc.jpg

0ikwXvC.jpg

Unless your Slash, Gibson does not know who we are, or really care about us. All they want us to do is buy their stuff to pad their bank accounts. Do they make well-made guitars? Of course they do. The guys that buy Gibson's want the classics. That's it. Make the SG, LP, 335, Flying V, Firebird, Explorer, J-45, Dove, SJ-200, L-00, and LG-2 and that is about all they want. 

41 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Unless your Slash, Gibson does not know who we are, or really care about us. All they want us to do is buy their stuff to pad their bank accounts. Do they make well-made guitars? Of course they do. The guys that buy Gibson's want the classics. That's it. Make the SG, LP, 335, Flying V, Firebird, Explorer, J-45, Dove, SJ-200, L-00, and LG-2 and that is about all they want. 

Well I have no real stake in it all any more..  I have the guitars I want. So yeah, I know they wont care about what me or any of us think..  Just talking on the subject...  Even though its a bit off topic, I think its why the OP is bored of Vs, cos they have already done everything to death.

It is what it is..  But they could do some real simple things to make more unique and interesting guitars. And if they want more sales, I think its an area they are missing out on.

Edited by Rabs

9 hours ago, Rabs said:

Well I have no real stake in it all any more..  I have the guitars I want. So yeah, I know they wont care about what me or any of us think..  Just talking on the subject...  Even though its a bit off topic, I think its why the OP is bored of Vs, cos they have already done everything to death.

It is what it is..  But they could do some real simple things to make more unique and interesting guitars. And if they want more sales, I think its an area they are missing out on.

With regard to the OP. I am sure he is, but if it was announced, that the V was going out of production . . .  oh the itching and moaning that would ensue.

Gibson tried new stuff. Firebird X. No one bought it and then excavators ran over then. What about all the weird 80's stuff like the Corvus. Didn't sell. What sells is the models I mentioned, and that is like what Johnny Rotten sang about on that song - This is what you want, this is what you get.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I have one, that's enough.

It's the implementation of it.  Make it like the original and don't charge $10,000.

Is limba wood expensive?  No.

Steve they would charge extra cause the name sounds exotic.

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

With regard to the OP. I am sure he is, but if it was announced, that the V was going out of production . . .  oh the itching and moaning that would ensue.

Gibson tried new stuff. Firebird X. No one bought it and then excavators ran over then. What about all the weird 80's stuff like the Corvus. Didn't sell. What sells is the models I mentioned, and that is like what Johnny Rotten sang about on that song - This is what you want, this is what you get.

Yeah but look at those designs.. The corvus is one weird looking guitar and the Firebird X was awful and packed full of useless electronics..   That one I posted above the Less Paul..  Now that is nice. Its like a short horn double cut LP..  I do wonder if they had not put all those electronics in it and just sold it as a normal guitar if it would have done better?

To answer the OP's question, if they would make it like the original (limba/korina, strings through the body) and price it comprably to the Gibson USA model I'd buy one.  It would be different enough from what I currently have to justify the purchase.

For $10,000 I will take a pass.

20 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Yeah but look at those designs.. The corvus is one weird looking guitar and the Firebird X was awful and packed full of useless electronics..   That one I posted above the Less Paul..  Now that is nice. Its like a short horn double cut LP..  I do wonder if they had not put all those electronics in it and just sold it as a normal guitar if it would have done better?

That weird thing you posted is no joy for me to look at, and how labor intensive is that rounded weird back?

33 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

A quick search shows they're priced about the same and this is retail, small quantities:

Black Limba (Korina) - $14.99 

Mahogany - $13.50 - $15.00 

Oh its Korina. That garbage wood that is supposedly holy grail wood from when the Explorer and V came out and didn't sell. Now you need to give up a kidney if you want to get an original one.

The first, and many times the only online guitars I look at now are used. 

The last two Gibson's I bought were used. The prices were fair. Right now? Not so much, so you look around & learn patience. 

If I had to go new, I'd likely look at a Tribute or maybe even a Hagstrom again if I could have it re-wired. 

Gibson had been using Korina (African limba) on their lap steel guitars.

They chose it due to it being lighter than mahogany in both weight and color, it would make the new models distinctive.  That was the whole point in producing the Explorer, Flying V and the prototype Moderne: take that, Fedner!

25 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Gibson had been using Korina (African limba) on their lap steel guitars.

They chose it due to it being lighter than mahogany in both weight and color, it would make the new models distinctive.  That was the whole point in producing the Explorer, Flying V and the prototype Moderne: take that, Fedner!

Fender took it and really didn't care. Ask rct everyone needs a Tele. I had 4. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/22/2023 at 11:21 AM, cammo said:

There's been a great deal of focus on the Flying V's lately and since I'm not much of a Flying V-player, I was curious if anyone here is feeling all the V love. Anyone? Just me? Curious to hear thoughts.

No not at all. I got a V new not too long ago and still love it. It's my 2nd Gibson V ever. I sold the 1st one 'cause the newer one is better. It's a natural gloss color and made out a mahogany and rosewood fretboard with dot markers.

This one is Plek'd and plays super smooth and fast. The tone is similar to a LP but maybe not quite as full, but very good sounding nevertheless.

Surprisingly Vs hang perfect on a strap standing and it's quite comfortable sitting if you put your right thigh in the crotch of the V. Most of them are pretty light because it takes less wood to make them than some other models. Mine weighs 6.72 lbs.

If you're intrested in a V, I'd get one while they're available. Cheers

Resized_20220107_141630.thumb.jpeg.86a7a58cb62f452551d366da1ee6d9c8.jpeg

Edited by G Stone

On 5/22/2023 at 6:40 PM, Rabs said:

c28WQ9k.jpg

QQR2eoX.jpg

Xzrfi4d.jpg

pyE5oeN.jpg

XgsYm5S.jpg

8x8eZKc.jpg

0ikwXvC.jpg

God I should have bought that when it came out. Now that I look at it again, they should have either redesigned the set neck joint or made it a neck through to eliminate that bulge at the heel

• 5 months later...

No not feeling any love from Gibson in relation to the Flying V, if the got the specs right I would feel it.  My only hope for a 70/80 spec’s Flying V is Epiphone but not holding my breath on that one. I should have bought a Tokai whilst they where still available.