Gibson Brands Forums

Album Covers That Make Me Go WTF

Sgt. Pepper

6 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Sure, but THIS one I never could!  [blink]

994f80b1a63bea0ea6fa75731025e8af.jpg

Whitefang

Haven't seen that pic is years, Now I'm gonna go hide in the corner.  No one needed to see John's wee wee and Yoko's saggy protuberance's.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, RBSinTo said:

The Beatles original"Yesterday and Today" cover was for me, a mystery.

RBSinTo

Some of the ones that got changed they just glued the new cover pic over the one with Paul sitting the case. So some have the Butcher Cover, and don't even know they have Beatles gold.

28 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Let's not forget this one:

(Beatles White Album)

Ever see Spinal Tap? When the band were delivered the a box of records at the sound check the album was all black. It had to be nod to the Fab 4. How much more black can it be, None. None more black. Then later on some metal wankers in which the bands name starts with an M did it too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Whitefang said:

Y'know, I think the Chili Peppers could have probably got by with  children's ankle socks.  [wink]

Whitefang

I have no knowledge as to the sizes of the Anthony or Flea's sock puppets.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Ever see Spinal Tap? When the band were delivered the a box of records at the sound check the album was all black. It had to be nod to the Fab 4. How much more black can it be, None. None more black. Then later on some metal wankers in which the bands name starts with an M did it too.

I never saw "Spinal Tap".

Is it worth watching?

Edited by DanvillRob

On 5/22/2023 at 3:24 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Like the title says. What was the artist thinking and why did the band sign off on it. Here are two albums I've heard many times.

31IkZiq.jpg

8HmjTdK.jpg

Why just why?

FYI, my initial reaction to your questioning of the Yes and Rush album covers in question was quite visceral, leaning towards anger. Both of these albums, and bands, were part of my musical foundation regarding guitar. (Not to say that either of the afore mentioned albums were particularly quintessential in either cover art or tracks.) Both Rush and Yes tended to be musical outliers, with just enough "commercially acceptable"/"Radio playable" content to keep them relevant.   They both created highly complex, technical, and atypical music, proving standard 4/4 Rock time signatures need not be the norm. As such, I never questioned their "Avant guarde" album art choices, I just focused on the music.  Yet, I restrained myself from my initial "gut reaction", because of my bias. I remember wondering about why both bands chose to put "dudes butts" on these covers, (2112 included), as a teen buying said vinyl when they were released. It defiantly wasn't done to increase sales. I guess fans like me just bought the albums for the love of the music, and maybe we  assumed that the cover art visually expressed something the band(s) music was unable to do.

When I began creating professional marketing material, (logos, flyers, concert posters, cover art, etc.), for bands, I was routinely questioned about  how my "art" directly correlated with the band's musical style. I replied that, save for actual images of the band, how can one express "music" with images that corollate with a "musical style"? Is "metal" black and silver, with sharp edged images? Is "Rock", a bit more colorful, with softer edges?    What type of music does the image attached below define? Music Marketing and advertising is about drawing interest, provoking questions, creating a "Buzz", and ultimately selling seats/albums. Sgt. P's post proves this. "There is no such thing as bad press.". 

qCB7Lhj.jpg

• Like 1

As an addendum to my reply above, I wanted to give a bit of experienced advice to  bands and their marketers. Flyers advertising your band's upcoming gigs, are "a dime a dozen", as they sit on the wall, cork board, and/or restroom of where ever you choose to post them. Said flyers exist to inform readers of the location, date, and time of your show, but they only work if people read them. Creating a visually unique attention drawing marketing tool, that stands out from the rest, is a must. Established bands may be able to simply rely on name recognition in their marketing, but most local groups need more to generate a following. (hint: settle on a band name "logo", including font, color scheme, etc., AND STICK WITH IT! This will be your "Trademark", and you need to "condition" your desired fan base to immediately associate that "image" with your band.)  Incorporate a "theme" with your gig fliers, that progresses from one show to the next.  I have used 50's sci-fi graphic novel covers, from defunct publishers, that I digitally altered to included the band logo, band related "captions", and show time/location info, whilst preserving the original cover art. Each show scheduled used one of the digitally altered graphic novel covers, from the same series, as the gig flyer.  Did the '50's style graphic novel cover art visually represent the musical style of the band? Probably not, but it created interest and put butts in seats.  Eventually, these flyers determined the cover art style for this band's first album.

Was a dude's butt necessary on the cover of the Rush Hemispheres album? Did said butt corollate to the music on the album? The answer to both of these questions is NO, but we are still talking about that album decades later, partially because of that image. Marketing/Advertising tools are designed to get people to come to your shows. It is the artist's responsibility to keep them coming back.   

2 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

FYI, my initial reaction to your questioning of the Yes and Rush album covers in question was quite visceral, leaning towards anger. Both of these albums, and bands, were part of my musical foundation regarding guitar. (Not to say that either of the afore mentioned albums were particularly quintessential in either cover art or tracks.) Both Rush and Yes tended to be musical outliers, with just enough "commercially acceptable"/"Radio playable" content to keep them relevant.   They both created highly complex, technical, and atypical music, proving standard 4/4 Rock time signatures need not be the norm. As such, I never questioned their "Avant guarde" album art choices, I just focused on the music.  Yet, I restrained myself from my initial "gut reaction", because of my bias. I remember wondering about why both bands chose to put "dudes butts" on these covers, (2112 included), as a teen buying said vinyl when they were released. It defiantly wasn't done to increase sales. I guess fans like me just bought the albums for the love of the music, and maybe we  assumed that the cover art visually expressed something the band(s) music was unable to do.

When I began creating professional marketing material, (logos, flyers, concert posters, cover art, etc.), for bands, I was routinely questioned about  how my "art" directly correlated with the band's musical style. I replied that, save for actual images of the band, how can one express "music" with images that corollate with a "musical style"? Is "metal" black and silver, with sharp edged images? Is "Rock", a bit more colorful, with softer edges?    What type of music does the image attached below define? Music Marketing and advertising is about drawing interest, provoking questions, creating a "Buzz", and ultimately selling seats/albums. Sgt. P's post proves this. "There is no such thing as bad press.". 

qCB7Lhj.jpg

I'm not really concerned how you took it. I love Rush and Yes. I've seen Rush 8 times and Yes I think 5 or 6 times, butt (see what I did) those album covers are silly.  I also own every Yes album from the first one up to Drama and all the Rush albums form the first one to around Power Windows. And hey thanks for explaining Rush and Yes to me. I've heard Going For The One And Spheres about billion times.

The pic of the guys in the Komono's on 2112 is silly to. With the wind blowing their long silky hair, and pants so tight it looks like they stuffed a huge bullfrog down there for aesthetics.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'm not really concerned how you took it. I love Rush and Yes. I've seen Rush 8 times and Yes I think 5 or 6 times, butt (see what I did) those album covers are silly. 

If anyone was "concerned" about my opinion about anything, they seriously over estimate my ability to effect/influence anything. I meant no disrespect and only alluded to the marketing/advertising component of those "silly" covers. Actually, I thought your post was a great conversation starter. I saw Rush 3 times but never got to see Yes live. I would love to hear about how Yes sounded in concert. 

12 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

If anyone was "concerned" about my opinion about anything, they seriously over estimate my ability to effect/influence anything. I meant no disrespect and only alluded to the marketing/advertising component of those "silly" covers. Actually, I thought your post was a great conversation starter. I saw Rush 3 times but never got to see Yes live. I would love to hear about how Yes sounded in concert. 

Sadly I only saw them in the Trevor Rabin years. They were good and Jon was singing and the Fish was on the bass, but that is not my Yes. Now its Steve Howe and a bunch of other guys.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Sadly I only saw them in the Trevor Rabin years. They were good and Jon was singing and the Fish was on the bass, but that is not my Yes. Now its Steve Howe and a bunch of other guys.

I think my brother caught Steve Howe's "essence", don't ya think?

Open photo
Edited by DanvillRob

1 hour ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

I saw Rush 3 times but never got to see Yes live. I would love to hear about how Yes sounded in concert. 

I imagine it would depend somewhat on the venue.  I only saw YES once, at Detroit's then Cobo Arena. (It's gone through a couple name changes in the last 20 years).

Not only was the sound quality good, they were a tight and well organised unit.  They were promoting their "Close To The Edge" LP which was just released and blew every mind in the arena.  They of course did several cuts from previous LPs too.  I think Bruford left the group right after that tour.

Whitefang

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I imagine it would depend somewhat on the venue.  I only saw YES once, at Detroit's then Cobo Arena. (It's gone through a couple name changes in the last 20 years).

Not only was the sound quality good, they were a tight and well organised unit.  They were promoting their "Close To The Edge" LP which was just released and blew every mind in the arena.  They of course did several cuts from previous LPs too.  I think Bruford left the group right after that tour.

Whitefang

Bruford left  just before or during the C T T E tour, and Alan then occupied the seat. A guy I know saw Yes on the G F T O Tour and said it was so bad and the sound just echoed all around where he saw them.

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Bruford left  just before or during the C T T E tour, and Alan then occupied the seat. A guy I know saw Yes on the G F T O Tour and said it was so bad and the sound just echoed all around where he saw them.

All I know is that Bill was there when I saw them.  As for the guy you know at the GFTO tour show....

What was the venue like when he saw them?

Whitefang