Gibson Brands Forums

The 50 year Black Beauty Modification. (2022 to 1972)

duane v

It wasn't planned but due to pickup pole position differences on me new Gibson BB I decided to make me 2022 BB LPC a 1972 LPC Reissue. Typically in 1972 they came with witch hat knobs but I don't like those.... They remind me of a Fender amp. I'm keeping the toggle switch cover because it looks so damn cool. 

Mods = Waffle Back Tuners with 10mm Bushings: Neck and Bridge 1983 Gibson Tim Shaw Era Pups: ABR1 Bridge: Top Hat Volume Knobs:

From this:

FullSizeRender_vp8ZcVzkdLhJMuHRkhYfkA.jp

FullSizeRender_dAP1zh9vLNTwo9GY7q9heb.jp

To This:

FullSizeRender_6eb7nwRWDRN6RZ6gFtSYr4.jp

FullSizeRender_nbHqcP5eqDJKEWWhWGz45K.jp

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Big Bill said:

Oh that is so damn sweet!

I have been gassing for a Black Beauty, you just made it much worse.! 

Right out of the box this geetar played fantastic. This is my second CS LPC guitar and both have been spot on. 

I have an R7 Custom LP (BB).  I believe the year is 2003...  Either way, really like it with the solid mahogany body, 57 Classics, baseball bat neck, and of course all the typical LP historic specs for construction and such of the era.  The absolute nicest ebony board I have ever seen in my life is on this guitar - smooth as glass. 

It came this year I believe with gold Grovers, but really liked the waffle-back tuners.  I haven't changed these out as Grovers are great tuners, but again, aesthetically, I like the waffle-backs more. 

Just now, NighthawkChris said:

I have an R7 Custom LP (BB).  I believe the year is 2003...  Either way, really like it with the solid mahogany body, 57 Classics, baseball bat neck, and of course all the typical LP historic specs for construction and such of the era.  The absolute nicest ebony board I have ever seen in my life is on this guitar - smooth as glass. 

It came this year I believe with gold Grovers, but really liked the waffle-back tuners.  I haven't changed these out as Grovers are great tuners, but again, aesthetically, I like the waffle-backs more. 

Would love to see a pic of your R7 Custom LP (BB).

I like Grovers too but I thought I would add the Wafflebacks as those are period correct for the 72 LPC.

One thing to note is the Grover tuner hole cannot be reused for one of the waffle back tuner holes. I filled the tuner hole and had to re-drill. Glad the tuner body was able to cover the rework.

1 hour ago, duane v said:

Would love to see a pic of your R7 Custom LP (BB).

I like Grovers too but I thought I would add the Wafflebacks as those are period correct for the 72 LPC.

One thing to note is the Grover tuner hole cannot be reused for one of the waffle back tuner holes. I filled the tuner hole and had to re-drill. Glad the tuner body was able to cover the rework.

I shared a pic of all my RIs a few times.  I have an R7 GT, R7 BB, 2x R9s, and a 68RI Custom.  Either way, will post something when I get the chance. 

You guys need to stop it! You don't understand how bad of a GAS I have for a BB. Getting one right now will put me in divorce court. You should of seen the fight I put up for the Vox MV50BM Brian May 50-watt Hybrid Tube Head I'm getting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Your guitar looks great! I see you have a couple of the same (well almost same guitars) as me. I too have a '57 BB RI, but with 3 pickups and a Bigsby. Here's a video I did on mine a while back...no playing, just talking about the guitar Legendary Guitars Part 2. The Gibson 1957 Les Paul Custom Reissue. A short discussion - YouTube

Edited by cody78