Gibson Brands Forums

Asking for a friend 2

afishynado

3 minutes ago, Gasman said:

yep The Philly shows where Great back then - Now not so much....😔

Yeah they were.  Used to hook up with 20 or so usenet newsgroup guitar players from all over.  We had a ball back then.

rct

2 hours ago, slimt said:

I was at King of Prussia in  92 when Chinery was buying . Japan collectors were filling 40ft tractor trailers full to the roof of vintage guitars.   Pretty impressive to watch.  We had a table buy the front door.    

Sounds like a front row nitemare - wonder if they ever purchased decent recording gear as well. And handbooks 'bout how to use it. 

(Excuse me, Japan - but 85 % of your Tube-tests are toooooo brittle and don't convey the guits at all). 

8 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

Sounds like a front row nitemare - wonder if they ever purchased decent recording gear as well. And handbooks 'bout how to use it. 

(Excuse me, Japan - but 85 % of your Tube-tests are toooooo brittle and don't convey the guits at all). 

Not really.  Watch the guitar cases come in   Watch the spotters ask. Excuse me sir. Whats in the case.     Off to there table to do a deal     At that time it was 100f ,humidity every bit as high. In the venue air flow sucked. Just so many people.     And 7.00 for a bottle of water.    I have pictures. A sea of Guitars as far as you could see.   We had 50. At our booth.  Sold a few prewar 28s. Bought a prewar Aj    Fun times 

Edited by slimt

1 minute ago, slimt said:

Not really.  Watch the guitar cases come in   Watch tge spotters ask. Excuse me sir. Whats in the case.     Off to there table to do a deal     At that time it was 100f ,humidity every bit as high. In the venue air flow sucked. Just so many people.     And 7.00 for a bottle of water.    I have pictures. A sea of Guitars as far as you could see.   We had 50. At our booth.  Sold a few prewar 28s. Bought a prewar Aj    Fun times 

Okay - you should show a few pics. Apart from that I stopped goin' to big acoustic gatherings/trade fairs/exhibitions.                                                                                                                                                                                That gab between all those fantastic guitars and the fact they are impossible to hear in the bee hiverish over all noise became too absurd. Kind of miss it though. 

7 hours ago, zombywoof said:

The most I have ever spent on a guitar was $5K (my '32 12 fret L1).  And even then, I knew I was paying top dollar and must have been on puppy chow for doing it.  I guess temptation took control of me and I fell.  Just have your friend call Gruhn, Elderly, Eric Schoenberg, or the like.  I am sure they would be more than happy to help him spend as much as he wants.  Me though, I still vote for the car.  

Are you the poster who once said you don't own a camera, when asked to post a pic of your vintage guitar(s) for us?

Edited by guitarnutt

10 hours ago, guitarnutt said:

Are you the poster who once said you don't own a camera, when asked to post a pic of your vintage guitar(s) for us?

I am one of those who misses the days when I worked in a dark room and watched the images magically appear on the photo paper.  I can take photos just not conveniently.

Does anybody remember the "snake pit" at the Dallas show?  Years back the finally clamped down t but it felt like you were running a gauntlet just to get in the door.  But I have a friend who has a booth at the Dallas and Philly  shows every year.  He says he does some of his best vintage guitar business  before the show even opens selling to other dealers who then often turn around and re-sell the instrument.  The Dallas show is where I snagged my scary rare 1930s Oscar Schmidt-made Galiano jumbo.  No logo, labels or anything to ID it but all of the characteristics I would expect were there.  As it only cost a couple of hundred bucks I figured it was worth taking a risk.  

1 hour ago, zombywoof said:

He says he does some of his best vintage guitar business  before the show even opens selling to other dealers who then often turn around and re-sell the instrument.

That's all vintage guitar market ever really was.  That's what got the prices so effing stupid 25 years ago.  

rct

...Back to the original subject, people go out and earn their money and scrimp and save, and if they wanna pinch off a little of that money in order to buy something, it is their right to do so. Good guitars tend to have good resale value. Ever increasing costs of materials and labor and so on, lead to higher prices of new guitars which can, in turn, help the resale value of pre-owned instruments, which, over time, tends to diminish the cost of purchasing a new musical instrument. In some events, good guitars are eventually sold for more than their original purchase price....

I know a few people that may or may not, frequent this site, who desperately need to heed these words....

Edited by afishynado

17 minutes ago, afishynado said:

...Back to the original subject, people go out and earn their money and scrimp and save, and if they wanna pinch off a little of that money in order to buy something, it is their right to do so. Good guitars tend to have good resale value. Ever increasing costs of materials and labor and so on, lead to higher prices of new guitars which can, in turn, help the resale value of pre-owned instruments, which, over time, tends to diminish the cost of purchasing a new musical instrument. In some events, good guitars are eventually sold for more than their original purchase price....

I know a few people that may or may not, frequent this site, who desperately need to heed these words....

Hell yeah spend it like its someone else's money, cause to me it is. He can shoot the whole load on one guitar, or 50 guitars its his denero. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Here's the Vintage Guitar Price Guide Index list I previously mentioned. This is a couple years old.

Not to say this is the ultimate list, it's just what they track. They state that exclude the most valuable guitars like the early D45's, LP's and Explorers and first issue Tele and Strat.

All are pre 1970

How many do you have?

Me? - 0

53060269129_010b79750f_c.jpg

47 minutes ago, Dave F said:

Here's the Vintage Guitar Price Guide Index list I previously mentioned. This is a couple years old.

Not to say this is the ultimate list, it's just what they track. They state that exclude the most valuable guitars like the early D45's, LP's and Explorers and first issue Tele and Strat.

All are pre 1970

How many do you have?

Me? - 0

Is this a monthly subscription?

On 7/18/2023 at 9:05 AM, zombywoof said:

I am one of those who misses the days when I worked in a dark room and watched the images magically appear on the photo paper.  I can take photos just not conveniently.

That's what I did for ~30 years and then digital turned everyone into a photographer and me into a statistic.

2 hours ago, Dave F said:

All are pre 1970

How many do you have?

Me? - 0

Values, however, vary quite a bit depending on market.  The VGP includes what the big sexy vintage dealers who are asking top dollar sell instruments for.  I have been told by those in the business that they may have to take as much as 30% off the VGP price on the highest dollar stuff if they want to have any shot at moving a guitar locally.  These are the ones they end up taking to one of the big guitar shows.