Gibson Brands Forums

New Hummingbird (to me) sounded dead but......

KingJames78

I recently purchased this bird from Reverb.   I've had the guitar for 8 days now.  When I received it, it had medium strings on it and it just sounded muffled to me.

I decided to change them to lights after a couple days ( i read online that the new Gibsons ship with lights and they are recommended). 

Still after changing them , the guitar still sounded dead.

The string action on the Low E was a bit high for my liking so I tightened the truss rod a bit.  Still sounded a bit dead though.

I recently changed picks from the purple Dunlops 1.14s and blue Dunlop 1.0s to the yellow Dunlops 0.73s and orange Dunlops 0.60s.   Was better but still not there.

Just today I took the guitar out of the case and WOW, it sounds so much better now.

Perhaps it needed a week to acclimate??

Morale of the story- If you dont like your tone, dont be afraid to change things up and try new stuff.  

Im happy with my bird now!  It sings!

Hummm.jpeg

Edited by KingJames78

22 minutes ago, Pimouss said:

May your ears have adapted to its sound ? 

No, it definitely resonates much more.

I have an old alvarez that was my prior acoustic and it was much louder.  Now its very close.   I still have them both to compare.

Edited by KingJames78

1 hour ago, Pimouss said:

May your ears have adapted to its sound ? 

Good and obvious Q, but apparently no.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Okay then - glad the guitar moved in KingJ's direction and would like to know if you KJ78 had played other examples of the model before receiving the one above. 

Anyway, , , let's hear how it develops. If you met each other after 8 days you might merge into 1 after 8 months, , , not to mention years.   

P.S. - Don't forget it actually take an acoustic guitar 8 years to open up - from there it begins. . . .

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

I've changed the strings and changed picks hundreds of times over the years.....I still play crappily!    (is that even a word?)

Yep.  I can't say any brand of string or pick has ever 'inspired' me to play better.   A good guitar does though!

• Haha 1

I’m buying the acclimation thing.  Somebody mentioned in another thread that it takes a bit of playing for the top to flex up again after being shelved for a while.  Maybe it was a combo of adjusting to the new conditions and you played enough to finally work the kinks out… Now I kinda regret not giving more of a chance to the “dead” J 45 I tried at GC.  It might have been like a dog at the pound, just cowering in the corner depressed, until somebody chances giving it a new home.   Hope it continues the upward glide for you.  Have fun! 

Edited by PrairieDog