Gibson Brands Forums

Hannibal Mo...

Murph

Just spent 2 days in Hannibal, the boyhood home of Mark Twain.

What a cool little town. Toured the Rockcliffe mansion and the cave and several museums. I'm humbled how the "real men" carved a town and built homes and fortunes in this rocky, hilly, muddy little river town without trucks, power tools and electricity in the 1800's.

I'm thinking tourism is dropping due to people who have actually read Sam's books dying off. I don't see that trend reversing. If you like history, it's well worth dropping a few hundred bucks and a road trip.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I'm thinking  'you can never go back'.   Becky Thatcher and Injun Joe (pc warning!)  have been replaced by Princes Leah and Darth Vader.   Norman Rockwell by  Hunter Picasso.   Have driven by Samuel Clemens stately home in Hartford.   No Whitewashed Fences anywhere - basically a mansion !   

Those books were read to us in the infants school. Huck Finn, Jim and the widow Douglas. Brilliant characters. One of the best memories of schooldays I think. After those it went on to Rudyard Kipling I think. Rikki Tikki Tarvi is the story I recall best.

Hannibal sounds great. Never been to MO (nor India)

On 9/15/2023 at 7:05 AM, sparquelito said:

Hannibal, MO reminds me a lot of Weston, MO, all the way over on the western border, on the Missouri river.

Quaint town, lots of antique shops, restaurants, a winery, and a few drinking establishments.

Love it there.

😀

I quit drinking many years ago, but you're right it's very cool.

I had no idea Jesse James had history with the cave. Even signed his name in there, as did Mr. Clemens.

I would have signed it too, if the tour guide hadn't been watching me so close.

I think he knew....

• Thanks 1

On 9/13/2023 at 7:01 AM, Murph said:

Just spent 2 days in Hannibal, the boyhood home of Mark Twain.

What a cool little town. Toured the Rockcliffe mansion and the cave and several museums. I'm humbled how the "real men" carved a town and built homes and fortunes in this rocky, hilly, muddy little river town without trucks, power tools and electricity in the 1800's.

I'm thinking tourism is dropping due to people who have actually read Sam's books dying off. I don't see that trend reversing. If you like history, it's well worth dropping a few hundred bucks and a road trip.

Yeah, it’s a pretty sweet place…….. Sadly, I’ve met folks who don’t know who Mark Twain is.

16 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

…….. Sadly, I’ve met folks who don’t know who Mark Twain is.

It's going to become more and more of a problem for the town. Tourism will continue to fall as "we" die off. Eventually, if not already, Mark Twain will be cancelled.